Lockdown Projects.

slotmadmac

Thanks Chas for the comments. Using the MRRC Clubman kit alloy chassis with 16k short can motor in inline config to comply with our MRRC class rules. Would love a test track at home but I'm suppose to be clearing out the Garage, my life wouldn't be worth much if the Mrs found out I was setting up a track in the Garage even just for the lockdown period!

Seen a few of those Scaley Camaros - watch the rear bearing holding posts, they have a nasty habit of splitting, I ended up gluing a re-enforcing plate on the outside of the bearing post.

Orakei Racer

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!

Thanks Orakei Racer.

Young Paul may have had that problem as I remember fixing one for him but think he had a fairly powerful motor in it. Probably not a problem with this car as only has standard motor at moment. Also built one for another club member about a year ago and he has had no problems but has just added a Slot-it 29000 motor. I better warn him. With my Aussie V8's I tend to beef up motor/rear axle area so may end up doing that to Camaro. Better to do before it breaks.

Mum's the word on garage track. My new one is only 4.85 x 1.220 but much better than previous Scaly track.Can run 1/32 and 1/24 as has copper tape contact strip. Give my regards to Dave West when you see him.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Making helmets for the NSR F1 cars.......Ayrton Senna, and Andrea de Cesaris.

Faces are done, and will be glued from the inside........these were the biggest PITA's of my slot/model making career :o .........so,...while I have had a few folks asking to purchase one, in order to remain sane, these are the only two I will build :D

Cheers

Chris Walker

2003-12-31-23-00-00-8-copy.jpg

Edited by Chrisguyw
  • Upvote 2

Making helmets for the NSR F1 cars.......Ayrton Senna, and Andrea de Cesaris.

Faces are done, and will be glued from the inside........these were the biggest PITA's of my slot/model making career

Cheers

Chris Walker

Too good! … I fold. ... Hard to believe they're 32nd scale.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Crikey, Orakei Racer.

When I saw the decal-ed version of your Stingray I had to rush out to my workbench to check whether my own hadn't been magically teleported across the Tasman.

Phew! Mine was there where I left it and on closer inspection mine is not the split window version, and the paint job is a slightly lighter metallic blue. But it looks like we've both acquired our decals from the same source (Pattos?)

My Stingray is one of my legion of UFOs (unfinished objects) and is part of a 1960s vintage Nichimo kit that I bought more than a year ago.

Eventually (I hope!) the car will be built up with the components from the original kit.

Den

Well done again Chris, if those pinstripes on Andrea de Cesaris' helmet are hand drawn you should be a surgeon, that is one steady hand.

Well done again Chris, if those pinstripes on Andrea de Cesaris' helmet are hand drawn you should be a surgeon, that is one steady hand.

They are not hand painted :D ..............years ago I had some Tamiya 1/20th scale F1 car decals, resized and Cartograph printed in 1/32 scale , so I used those............still a major PITA, and these are the only 2 I will make,...these nearly drove me mad !!

The Tamiya Jordan 191, had the de Cesaris helmet decals, and the Tamiya Lotus 99T had the Senna decals.

Cheers

Chris Walker

Edited by Chrisguyw

Wow. Those helmets are out the gate. Bravo.

With lockdown not so locked down for me, I am having little time to let my mind wander in the slot cave. Over the weekend I tried to get a 2 motor / 4x4 Scalex Metro off the bench using a cut down stock chassis but, to date, that project has beaten me. Anyway, after work today I decided to start the restoration of a lovely old Mexican C.46 917 that I've had in the 'to do' pile for years.

It's complete apart from the interior. I am sure I had one, but can't find it now... Stripped down, this is what I am working with:

JJggcqOl.jpg

VH5gidxl.jpg

Sadly, the body is cracked on one side. I have bogged it up but a respray is inevitable. I'm running short of decals so another Martini livery is on the cards.

Podiums are for short people.

Crikey, Orakei Racer.

When I saw the decal-ed version of your Stingray I had to rush out to my workbench to check whether my own hadn't been magically teleported across the Tasman.

Phew! Mine was there where I left it and on closer inspection mine is not the split window version, and the paint job is a slightly lighter metallic blue. But it looks like we've both acquired our decals from the same source (Pattos?)

My Stingray is one of my legion of UFOs (unfinished objects) and is part of a 1960s vintage Nichimo kit that I bought more than a year ago.

Eventually (I hope!) the car will be built up with the components from the original kit.

Den

Hi Den

Yes the decals are from my go to source - Bruce. Only thing missing from the Std sheet was the "GT".

I had not seen too many 1/32 versions of Penske's Sunoco 1966 Corvette, so I thought it would make a nice model.

I used Tamiya's TS 15 Blue which was a not bad match but the Yellow is wrong, I only had Chrome Yellow at home which is a bit dark but did the job.

If I get keen maybe I'll do Penske's original Red Corvette before he painted it Blue. I think I have the decals from the same Patto sheet.

Be interested to see your Corvette when you finish it.

Orakei Racer

Hi all. Gave myself a break later yesterday afternoon and did a few laps around my new 3 track wood track. Must get back to finishing this off soon. Gave me a chance to try several of my build projects though. Track and tyres were not cleaned except for wipe of worn out sticky tape.

1. Scaly Camaro - quite impressed. Clearly affected by tyre and track condition but standard motor was quite enough for this small 10m track even on 11 volts. Best time about 4.067 secs.

2. Ford Capri Group 5 bare chassis with ne AW motor and mount. Very good. Straight down to about 3.5secs. Current record is about about 3.384secs.

3. Brabham BT54 did not go very well but obviously showed fact has been sitting around for several years. Otherwise quite smooth but lots of tyre slip.

4. Tried a couple of standard Scaly McLaren MC12s I am preparing for sale as magnet cars. All wheel spin as expected. One had been a lot better (even non-magnet but I had taken PG tyres off and returned to original.

Today I thought I should get back to Scaly track I am building. Those borders etc seem to take ages. Attach a photo of current build with borders nearly finished and some more fences in place.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Ians-track-23-4-2012.jpg

Edited by charlesx

Hi Wobble. Agree looks good. Like the colour. A bit different. How much is it stretched? What is the chassis? Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Hi Chas, cheers. Almost 7mm longer between front wheel arch and rear of bonnet and 5mm wider and sitting on a Pioneer Mustang chassis.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

I'm liking all these projects coming out of the woodwork. There are alot of creative people out there, especially when they have time on their hands!

Ok this is my finished Merc - took a bit longer to finish as I realized I had to paint the side mirrors, rear tow hook, roof nob which were black plastic when I pulled them out of the parts bag.

Was tossing up whether to add additional Marlboro decals on front and rear windows but figured too much of a good thing may crowd things.

Will tune up the chassis and put racing tires on once I can get back to the track.

IMG_4215.JPG?dl=0

IMG_4212.JPG?dl=0

IMG_4216.JPG?dl=0

IMG_4220.JPG?dl=0

Orakei Racer