Lockdown Projects.

slotmadmac

We are in lockdown in New Zealand. With some forced time on my hands I have been in the SlotCave completing a few projects. Some of these have been sitting for years waiting to be finished.

Variety is the spice of slot life, right?

Team Slot Alfa.

This car has been repainted and lowered. Stock chassis. New high torque 18k motor and running gear. Goes great.

zOibie2l.jpg

FLY Racing Capri.

One of my all time favourite models. This was an old club racer running NSR Vanquish rear rims and tyres as per our rules. Complete rebuild. New paint. Runs like it's on rails.

60ohJcJl.jpg

I was so happy how that one came out I did another...

bMVWzRpl.jpg

AIRFIX Lotus

A quick rebuild - lots of scratched up parts here. Should have taken more time but these early Airfix F1s don't really float my boat.

ilAIkrIl.jpg

PROSLOT Toyota

Original Proslot body had been repainted (badly) by a previous owner and had to be stripped. The original paint survived. New ScaleAuto chassis. New NSR 25k motor and all new running gear. A real weapon now.

JYvEmK9l.jpg

SCALEXTRIC Mercedes

Chassis truncated at the front and lowered on the body. Front axle tubed. Stock running gear and wheels. With NSR rubber on the back this is a silky smooth, predictable drive. Surprisingly quick.

bkN6lkvl.jpg

REVELL MONOGRAM Ferrari

Built from a kit. Cartrix wheels and tyres. New High torque 18k motor. New paint. Sweet runner.

f6Y4UtLl.jpg

SCALEXTRIC Lotus Indianapolis

Old Powersledge body that I repainted ages (maybe 10 years!) ago. Stock wheels and rubber. It now sits on a FLY March chassis. New16k FF motor. Front axle tubed. Nice smooth runner.

qkEBXQpl.jpg

SCALEAUTO BMW M1

New car. Fully worked up to race spec. Very fast given it is still running the stock 20k motor.

ohBK4zYl.jpg

SCALEXTRIC Renault ELF

Body now sits on a JS Design chassis. New high torque 18k motor. Stock running gear and wheels. NSR F1 rears. New paint.

1Sqy4Gkl.jpg

FxXsfmQl.jpg

Well, that's my lot so far. What's everyone else been working on?

• Upvote 2

Podiums are for short people.

Flaming heck Mac. One, two, maybe three even - but 10..... has Race Catering quarantines you to the shed ?

Okay guys - take careful note of this post, and the builds.

Any changes to club classes that incorporate any of these, or reviving Fly Capri shall be resisted with enthusiasm befitting running from a tsunami :lol: :lol: :lol:

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Here's another one fresh off the isolation line.

ftkzqoil.jpg

This car has been built to run in our Scalextric Classic F1 Class; one of our racing groups favourite classes. Apart from a new guide, tubed front axle and NSR tyres, it's all stock Scalextric parts. We came up with this set up almost 10 years ago (original thread here) and I have been banging on about them on AUSLOT ever since.

They are a very simply build...

NHN1h2Wl.jpg

Z17Ppwhl.jpg

but they handle like a dream. On my track, with stock Scalex motor / pinion / gear / axles / bushes a good one can break into the 6.8s bracket. To put that into perspective, that's a full half second per lap faster than 95% of the field in the Slot IT DTM nationals (that are held on my home track) and faster than 90% of the Slot It Group Cs that have ever raced here too.

I have set up dozens of these now for other club members. Here's some of my faves from my own collection - including a few six wheelers I whizzed up for kicks.

v5ek3ISl.jpg

Give one a go. You won't regret it. The cornering speed you can get from the Renault IndyCars and Parmalat Brabham F1s is spectacular.

Edited by slotmadmac
  • Upvote 1

And faster than half the open GT1 class cars !

Low wide and flat....I really need to get onto the last one I bought off you before Christmas. But I spent this morning playing house husband and made a lake of vege soup just in time for the cold turn.

Must be time for a treat, DHL dropped at the door and ran away in mask this morning. Origin viva la france. I could smell the 'eau de datsun' through the packaging.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Hope it's alright adding this here Mac.

Been fluffing around with this Ponty again. Paint's turned to custard 'cos it was too cold or damp but might finish it with flat clear anyway.

I think the Scaley GT40 wheels look good finished with Tamiya X27 clear red over silver. Got that anodized sought of look.

DSCF5979.jpg

• Upvote 1
bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Bram, you should start a thread on that so we can see some more pics, under the hood, chassis etc and learn a bit more - it looks mighty fine to me.

Totally off topic

a bit of a light-heated lockdown quiz to give you the giggles while trying to paint the damned things with a steady hand.

Another day, another project.

SLOT IT DTM Opel

This has been built to run in our racing groups DTM class with the aim of being faster than the car I have campaigned in the Slot It DTM Nationals - which are held on my track. The Nats have strict rules. Our club rules are more relaxed but require the Slot It 21k black end bell motor.

80i6fwul.jpg

This car has been converted to anglewinder using the pod mod from my failed Sierra build (detailed here).

aSt1xe9l.jpg

After a lot of ballast tuning and mucking about with the pod it's now in the sub 7sec bracket on my track but not as fast as I was expecting from what is basically a sidewinder set up. More work to come.

They look great Pedro,

The first image reminds me of a scene from The Life of Brian

Nice one Pedro. Those Legends look cool as.

I am now working on restoring this old Scalextric March Ford 721.

skC88xxl.jpg

pUJMu7al.jpg

The plan is to fix the broken chassis / guide, get rid of the remains of the original (and butt ugly) surfboard front spoiler and get it running sweet on the track - probably with the original Johnson motor.

After some work I ended up here:

39xdO4Hl.jpg

All running gear sorted and motor cleaned. Tyres glued (new rears) and trued. Tubed front axle ready to go in the original suspension arms. Front of the car reworked with scratched up new wing. Some fresh paint on the motor bits. Chassis epoxied - awaiting some Dremel work tomorrow and a new guide post. Luckily, I had a broken rear wing in the parts bin but had to scratch up some uprights to connect it to the car.

Tomorrow, when the epoxy sets, a section of brass tube will go in to replace the broken guide post. I'll use a cut down safety pin to give some lateral strength when I glue it in place.

7lFE9gMl.jpg

Happy so far.

Slotmadmac

The March 711/721 ran with a variety of front wings so OK for you to freelance with your scratchbuilt version.

In fact Ronnie Peterson's car raced at Monza in 1971 without the surfboard/tea-tray front wing and with an abbreviated rear wing that had only one element.

I notice from your pics that you seem to be missing the windscreen. Of my 5 or 6 bodies I have only one with fully intact screen and I wonder if Munter has repro versions of those in his catalogue?

I have plans to restore one of my Marches in the Williams/Politoys livery driven by Henri Pescarolo, and if I'm really adventurous I'll try the Eifelland E21 variation driven by Rolf Stommelen .

Den

Hi everyone .

One unusual lock-down project I've actually finished recently is the creation of a Ninco power-connector track using the control panel from an SCX set that I bought reasonably cheaply on eBay.

The SCX 'Initiation Cup' set contained a couple of rally cars in good condition (minus the rear wings) with the bonus of a nice-looking Seat Cupra GT.

The track was in fairly poor condition but happily the power-pack and the hand controllers were working. So I disconnected the module where the power-pack and hand controllers plug in and grafted it onto a standard Ninco straight.

I already had enough Ninco track to make a small oval test track but didn't have a power connector track and was just going to make do with makeshift wiring connections.

Now I have a 'professional' SCX-Ninco hybrid set-up.

Den

• Upvote 1

Nice build Zack. Very clean and I agree that the SRC model looks the business.

The March 711/721 ran with a variety of front wings so OK for you to freelance with your scratchbuilt version.

Thanks for that Den but scale accuracy or historic liveries aren't my thing. With these older cars I just like tooling around and making whatever adaptions come into my head. To prove my point here is the last 721 I fooled around with. Whatever floats your boat... right?

3efq7ZYl.jpg

Edited by slotmadmac

Big job on your hands there, Pedro. Not sure I'd have the patience to paint that crowd.

Meanwhile, back in 721-Ville... here is the safety pinned K&S tubing in place. At this stage I superglue the pin to the tube and then superglue the tube in situ to the chassis.

JVmqDtgl.jpg

Then it's on with the JB Weld. I have used this simple repair method lots of times and have never had a repaired guide fail.

vGwN9Mwl.jpg

And here's the finished car.

Pwxcqzrl.jpg

Dj2wIX4l.jpg

The front suspension arms (with internal axle tube) have been glued in place and on the track it's a lovely smooth runner. There's something really nostalgic and cool about the gentle powerband of these old Johnson motors and I am happy with how this quick build turned out.

• Upvote 1

Next up is a bigger challenge; one I've been putting off starting for a few years.

nFNV4Prl.jpg

The idea is to merge two Scalextric Williams together with all 4 rear wheels forming part of the drive train.

Hopefully it will look something like this...

44Od2i1l.jpg

Posting this here means I have to get it done.