3 Lane Track - Possible Ideas

17 replies to this topic

#1 ZeGas

ZeGas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:09 PM

Was helping another forum member with their proposed track design and got the design bug again.

So whipped this 3-laner up.

Posted Image

One is a mirror of the other but I am not sure whether the straight should go under or over.

Going under makes marshalling easier but then will hide the end of the straight and right hand curve where it climbs the "mountain".

Straight going over is a nicer option as you will see the entire climb but then have to reach over/under the straight to pick offed cars from below.

Oh the dilemma!

Initially I'm thinking bugger the marshalling cause too much of the hill climb will not be visible with straight under.

Drivers stations will be at bottom of track view.

Won't be building for a while though as once this virus issue is resolved we will be shifting from QLD to NSW.

But I do have a contact with a CNC so beers will flow.

Comments??
Cheers Grant
Posted Image.......................................................Posted Image
Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

If life gives you lemons, take them, free s#!t is cool.

#2 Yngwie

V8 Supercar Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:58 PM

Hi Grant

Love the design. I wonder who the lucky guy on this forum was? :D
I had a track 2 tracks back where I got lazy and left the straight over the top. Regretted it from the first day we had a race on it. I would go straight under allowing for easy marshalling.
What dimensions (length x width) is that track designed for?

Cheers

#3 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,026 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:06 PM

I have been standing at the bottom of each design, thinking about where cars disappear and reappear.

I'd still go for the top design with the straight underneath. Driving the straight left to right; Start the hill climb after the cars emerge from the underpass they will be easily visible from all stations before they get into the turn, and have it rise to higher than needed at right,so the highest point is the outer curve at right. Then actually start coming down towards the overpass.

That will be a fun track to drive, and will look really good if you create a hill at right, maybe 350mm high.0
Slots addict 1st class * Classic quote for 2019 "whaa whaa whoo, where is I " * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club Website

#4 ZeGas

ZeGas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:19 PM

Hey John, I wonder who?

Tweeked it a bit, I think I like the straight over the top so have softened the curves under, just can't see the mountain climb working otherwise.
I really want it to be a hill climb.

Could stand on the other side but then it will need to be away from the wall to be able to get a marshal around back.
There is always a sacrifice.

Track length 13.702 each lane
Total dims 4.86x1.52

Posted Image

I'll consider that Mark, I still think the left most driver will not see the entry to the RHS corner as the top hairpin I see as reasonably high.

Maybe I need to build some mockups like I did a few years back, photos lost in BotoPhucket somewhere, made them using balsa, cardboard and toilet paper mache, would have cost a bomb nowadays.

All I got is a scan 32 Coupe did a markup on (2013 OMG was it that long ago)

Posted Image
Cheers Grant
Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

#5 Drifter

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:57 PM

I had a similar experience to Yngwie,

I ended up re-building the straight section to run under rather than over. It made a huge improvement.

Edited by Drifter, 27 March 2020 - 05:58 PM.

www.sydneyslotcars.com

#6 Vinno

GP2 Driver

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:42 PM

I built this one years ago. 3 lanes and quite simple but a fun fast track with the straight running under.

http://www.auslot.co...rk/page__st__20

#7 slot car tragic

Late Model

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 03:32 PM

If I do another track it will be this one as a three laner:
Posted Image
Late Model

#8 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,026 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 04:18 PM

Hah, I nearly posted that myself.... I copied all the pages about it from the original magazine article.
Slots addict 1st class * Classic quote for 2019 "whaa whaa whoo, where is I " * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club Website

#9 munter

re member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 04:23 PM

I built this one years ago. 3 lanes and quite simple but a fun fast track with the straight running under.

http://www.auslot.co...rk/page__st__20

Looks good Vinno....a strong Luff Linkert influence there by the look.

And Tragic

If I do another track it will be this one as a three laner:
Maybe but forget the squeezes.....PITA when racing IMHO.
John Warren
Slotcars are my preferred reality

#10 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:14 PM

Hi ZeGas.

A simple design I have just made so I have a track at home. Track is 4.850 x 1.2 but could be easily scaled up. There are photos of a couple of similar ones on web. Pretty simple but it drives great. Not much in way of straights but certainly a challenge.

Regards Chas Le Breton

https://i.postimg.cc...-track-28-3.jpg

Edited by charlesx, 28 March 2020 - 06:20 PM.

#11 ZeGas

ZeGas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:40 AM

OMG Vinno a CRT monitor, looking back 2006 was a long time ago.

1966 was before my time.
Really do not like between turns 7-8 not just the squeezes but the sharp turns would be a pain, no flow.
Like the rest of it though, interesting they have an underpass that is grading down and up rather than a bridge.
Pain in the jacksee for drainage though, there'd be a puddle every time it rains.
Was it ever built, photos???

Nice track Chas, do you have a marshalling problem with the corners under the bridge?

Posted Image
Cheers Grant

#12 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 12:16 PM

Hi ZeGas.

Re under bridge access.

Bridge is maximum 500mm across but I moved 150mm gutter from side to side over bridge to maintain according of direction of curve. On straight sections track is 470mm wide. 100mm inner, 110 between lanes and 150mm gutter. You may note in picture I went off-track with one lane down to about 95mm (they were all cut individually rather than with a guide from middle lane.) I will fix if a problem with metal cars but they are only 83mm wide maximum. Will make a guide for router in case I make another track.

Plenty of head room as built so can also be used for 1/24th and trucks (1/32nd). Clear view from either side although it is anticipated that it can be marshaled from one side. Has not been raced on yet but assuming we have numbers will probably have one person at back.

I do not see bridge any more difficult than any bridge on 1/24th 3 lane track with good gutter, lane spacing etc. Many of them range from 4-8 lanes so are significantly worse even if on a straight. One of our Auckland tracks has two sections where if anybody come off you have to stop race and climb under track to retrieve. Even if a 1/32nd scale bridge would be at least 350-400mm. Like any however marshalling during racing can be hazardous. An easy curve before going under bridge minimises offs I hope.

I note all of your designs have bridges at acute angles and some with curves very close. Mine is close to at 90 degrees. Did consider making track under bridge a more sweeping affair like some of yours but decided to minimise under bridge access. Like everything it is a compromise.

Hope this is of some help. Like all your designs as nice and flowing. Do not like the squeeze in last example.

Regards Chas Le Breton

#13 dangermouse

Triple Crown Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,968 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:37 PM

Grant
The Paramount Ranch track is based on a real race track in the US. If you search for Paramount Ranch Slot Car track you will see photos of the built track. The plan comes from an article that was a how to make series from a magazine - I have downloaded the article.

I think it is a bit of an iconic track design for slot track builders. The other one that always catches the eye is the Flying Cows Raceway.

cheers
David

Edited by dangermouse, 29 March 2020 - 07:54 PM.

#14 ZeGas

ZeGas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 04:07 PM

Thanks DM, HO that now makes more sense, looks nice built. Flying Cows is a bigun.

Thanks Chas, I'm thinking the sweep reverse curves won't cause too much bother, cars that off should have enough momentum to carry through to the first hairpin.
Cheers Grant

#15 gazza

2003 World hide and seek champion

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,287 posts
  • Location:Sitting in front of the computer, how else could i be typing this

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:39 PM

My old 3 laner, bits of Oran Park

Posted Image

Added a better tv to view results.

Posted Image

14 mtrs total length.
Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

Posted Image

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

#16 Yngwie

V8 Supercar Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:46 PM

Miss racing on that track Gaz.
Great close racing!

#17 gazza

2003 World hide and seek champion

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,287 posts
  • Location:Sitting in front of the computer, how else could i be typing this

Posted 30 March 2020 - 03:49 AM

View PostYngwie, on 29 March 2020 - 05:46 PM, said:

Miss racing on that track Gaz.
Great close racing!

Still is
Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

Posted Image

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

#18 ZeGas

ZeGas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:02 PM

90 between lanes 100 outside and inside

Posted Image

Moved away from wall with drivers stations, backs against the wall.

Posted Image
Cheers Grant

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users