Peter Gunn

Scalextric (Why )

Was wondering who Scalextric are aiming their cars at, have a discount firm sending e mails to me on a regular basics,which by the way i didn't ask for , but i bought a couple of cars from them so expect to receive e's from them , offering big discounts on it seems 100's of cars , many the same with just a change in livery.

So it got me thinking , we were all scaley drivers at one time in our slot car lives, but many are not any more , why ? i suppose the answer is we have moved on to better things where Scalextric seem in my opinion still locked in the period years back where they thought rightly at the time that the kids wanted a set, and a couple of cars, but kids don't want that any more , if scaley had to survive on a market led by the youngsters in today's world they would be dead.

So what are Scalextric doing still here , well thinking recently i bought 2 Scalextric cars in the last 6 months , and all i have left of them now are the bodies , which i will admit are nice bodies , but the mechanical s are not up to what i want in a slot car, so the rest of the car have had roughly £30 spent on each one to turn a sow's ear into a purring cat , my choice as i wanted to do it to make good racers.

If i did not do this i would not be buying Scalextric cars as i don't do shelf queens, i did think round about 10 years or longer they would have retooled and started releasing cars with a more updated chassis like a slot it for instance , so we had a better guide system e.t.c but no nothing really happened.

I know to some in this sport Scalextric are a sacred cow , so i expect some will rush to defend them, but my question to all that is, where does the future of Scalextric lie, do they have a future as i can't see them going on as they are now.

I think there's a reasonable market out there of people that wouldn't know any better and would be happy with the performance of an out of the box Scalextric with magnet on their home track. Also a lot of the toy stores only stock Scalextric and Carrera as the market isn't there to have the higher priced cars sitting around waiting to sell.

Plus they market cars that will sell to a market, Torana's and Falcons will sell in Australia, BTCC is a big market in the UK and their stock cars, muscle cars and IROC Camaros seem to be a big hit in the US with a lot of these being Club Categories.

As long as they keep producing cars that the market wants they'll do well.

Edited by mus-28

I think Scalextric are trying to appeal to a wide range without entering the full on enthusiast market like Slot.it , NSR and others.

If I take the classic Aussie cars being produced I would imagine someone in their 30 to 40’s with a couple of kids now who may like their cars, watched Aussie Touring cars on TV or went with his dad when he was a kid would be a target market. He may have had a track himself as a kid but never progressed further than that.

Dad is walking around a toy shop looking for a birthday gift for his son or daughter and spots a set.

The second scenario is people like us on the forum or in Facebook world who have longed for a true scale version of what they loved and watched but had to make do with a lexan version or hope someone like Phil Kalbfell or Munter with more skills can make a resin version.

The same can be said for the Classic cars from Europe and the US that Scalextric are making. The British especially as Scalextric is their home brand.

Then there are the kids sets that they are making that will appeal to them as well.

I am hoping this scenario continues for a while yet but I guess as cars become white goods and the soul goes from the 1 to 1 versions then people will not care any more. It will just be up to us to continue the hobby with possibly the latest 3 D printing technology of maybe we will be too old to worry about it anyway.

The main thing is we all stay in contact and make an effort to keep things going for our own sake. Maybe in retirement hook up with a local men’s shed and get some interest there too. I can see old man tantrums and walkouts when it starts to get competitive. The future is bright.

• Upvote 2

My thoughts - are there enough people out there who still associate Scalextric with their childhood - to want to buy their kids or their grandkids a set? I would say their still is cause they still sell sets and you still see sets turn up on online market sites "bought for kids - they grew out of it"

Will this be sustainable into the future - probably not and I think the rising costs will impact on this. I don't know how the cost of a Scalextric set compares today against what it did in the past but in the 70s and 80s there wasn't the same range of video games consoles to compete with like there is these days.The quality of the cars both in appearance and in performance has improved Ove the past 60 years or so.

Scalextric cars do look good. If they get the model and the livery right I think they do sell. Whilst I don't like shelf queens either I think there are people out their who might see a car that looks pretty good - nice level of detail and sharp paint work and graphics and they remember scalextrics from the kids and they buy it to put on the shelf and look at it or they might buy a set and play with it a few times and put it away.

I think into the future as long as real cars are being made and raced then their will be people interested in collecting them - be that die cast or slot cars.

I to have wondered why Scalextric hasn't gone towards a slot.it or NSR like chassis/running gear - though they did go down the path of that pod chassis but that didn't seem to go well as they tended to give them away.

David

I think the reason Scalextric hasn't evolved is because when they try to it has generally not worked.

I remember an Audi A4 and a Vectra released in the 90's I think with an aluminium chassis, alloy rims, etc that did not do very well.

Then there was the Scalextric Sport+ upgrade parts, alloy rims, silicone tyres, faster motors, hardened axles, gears, etc, last time I saw them they were in the Specials page.

And recently there were the PCR chassis that ended up being given away for free with the car it went in from one seller.

So in these hard economic times I don't blame Scalextric for sticking to what they know.

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life, it's just too intelligent to come here."  Arthur C. Clarke

Social Media - The Internets sewer

Was wondering who Scalextric are aiming their cars at, have a discount firm sending e mails to me on a regular basics,which by the way i didn't ask for , but i bought a couple of cars from them so expect to receive e's from them , offering big discounts on it seems 100's of cars , many the same with just a change in livery.

So it got me thinking , we were all scaley drivers at one time in our slot car lives, but many are not any more , why ? i suppose the answer is we have moved on to better things where Scalextric seem in my opinion still locked in the period years back where they thought rightly at the time that the kids wanted a set, and a couple of cars, but kids don't want that any more , if scaley had to survive on a market led by the youngsters in today's world they would be dead.

So what are Scalextric doing still here , well thinking recently i bought 2 Scalextric cars in the last 6 months , and all i have left of them now are the bodies , which i will admit are nice bodies , but the mechanical s are not up to what i want in a slot car, so the rest of the car have had roughly £30 spent on each one to turn a sow's ear into a purring cat , my choice as i wanted to do it to make good racers.

If i did not do this i would not be buying Scalextric cars as i don't do shelf queens, i did think round about 10 years or longer they would have retooled and started releasing cars with a more updated chassis like a slot it for instance , so we had a better guide system e.t.c but no nothing really happened.

I know to some in this sport Scalextric are a sacred cow , so i expect some will rush to defend them, but my question to all that is, where does the future of Scalextric lie, do they have a future as i can't see them going on as they are now.

90% of box sets and cars are bought for kids. I think your argument is flawed. It’s well known enthusiasts only make up a small part of their market and their cars are manufactured perfectly for this market. Considering theres lots of better cars on the market and considering you already knew what they are like I don’t see your point. Don’t buy them.

• Upvote 1

www.scorpiuswireless.com

The original wireless digital system with GRUNT.

I'm an old time Scalextric trajic going back to 1962 with a pair of Lotuses & an oval track,

Last year I bought a new 69 Camaro to enter in a Proxy,only needing the body so I picked the ugliest livery to do a re-paint,covering my arse in case it didn't look so good, will always be better than what I started with,sometimes :blink:

Anyway,car arrived & as you do gave it a couple of laps to see what I've got before I strip it down,well what a piece of crap straight out of the box.Didn't worry me too much as I have many years of experience in tuning these things,& I do love a challenge.

A few hours later I put up the white flag & gave up the challenge,waste of time.Can't believe Scalextric could make a car so bad & still be in business,said the same thing about Ninco a few years ago & where are they now, there must be a lot of unhappy little Johnnies out there with no clue how to fix a turd.

Surely if some back yard hobbiest can design a very good 3D chassis then why can't a big company like Scalextric do a better job & keep all the little Johnnies happier,he will grow into a very good customer down the track & maybe keep them in business.

So wake up Scalextric you have a very good name in the hobby but you really need to keep up with the competition & park the 40 year old chassis design,move with the times & give the public a good driveable car straight out of the box.

Sorry for the rant getting very old & need to be put out to pasture. :wacko:

Cheers Jimmy :D

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

Yep. Certainly we need "set" or "toy shop" companies with their reach and volume to keep slots alive for a wider audience.

Us hobbyists as Rick said, are a small part of the market for their product. They need volume from the rug-racer market, and we get the spin-off benefit of many more models to choose from.

ALSO - there are some sick, weird, twisted individuals, roaming loose and un-medicated in our society, who actually get more kick out of turning a Scalextric or Carrera into a thoroughbred wood track racing beast, than they do from actually driving it once the job is done ........ :lol::D:ph34r:

Of course, in the interests of limiting the number of death threats I receive, I shall not name them - but you can find a lot of their handles under the HBMRC thread on this forum.

Warning: You may have some of these self same constructa-addicts lurking in your club.

Jimmyslots - the '69 Camaro takes a bit of work, like any of those muscle cars. The '70 Camaro is slightly wider in the rear arch so easier to fit and build, but it ain't THAT bad.

I ran one for club for about 4 years with full alloy back end until I finally destroyed both bodies.

We still have a few wandering our local tracks in muscle class.

Hahahahahaha thought this would wake up a bit of interest , now lets get one thing straight , aussie slotter i,m speaking from experience of the young have a number of boys dotted around the family and since xmas have had most of them over here on visits .

So what do you do to entertain them as they sit around, bored listening to the rest of the adults gassing , you take them down the garage and have some track time .

Out of the 7 boys whose age ranges from 7 to 13 not ONE have ever had a scalextric set or cars in their lives , to even start of a interest in the hobby, it was not in their thinking, in fact dear old uncle Keith is the only person they know who is interested in slot cars, and i,m wayyyyyyyyyyyy old now.

After showing them the track and explaining the set up time to have a go , luckily i have some old cars just for this use , and ok for the first 10 minutes they struggled to get things sorted but after that for a short while they had races between them.

And then something happened they all got bored and started sitting down either with their phones of a pocket game without exception.

Turning to Scalextric as i mentioned i keep getting E's from a internet supplier of scaley cars e.t.c and they have sent me lists of 100's of them at reduced prices with free postage , i can buy BTCC cars from them round about £32 which is a saving of £8, plus , and a saving on the postage on top , also they offer a 10% discount on cars not even on the market yet.

Now how do these firms do it , now i,m not in retail anymore but i expect some on here are and i expect they will help here , but on my reckoning they must be buying these cars at knock down prices .

If you are retailing a brand new boxed scaley car at £32 plus free postage you must want to make a profit , or you go down the tubes , so we'll break this down .

Postage to me is £3 normally for this sort of thing , so that knocks the car down to £29, now out of this the firm advertising this car must make a profit selling it for this price , so we'll say a meager £5 a car this knocks the car down to £24 , now comes my other point are they buying from Scaley or from a warehouse source , well if they are that source makes a profit.

So after all this how does Scalextric stay in business , i,ve not even tried to factor in the car being made in China or transport costs and any third party handling , so my original question stands of how the hell do Scalextric stay in business

HI Peter/Keith.

I have finally built a wood track and had first session with grand kids on Sunday. We have previously raced on Scaly with magnets but no magnets now. These kids are aged 3 - 7 so I just regulate the voltage and give them a car that will handle speed/track OK. As they progress I will increase voltage and hopefully turn them into competent little racers. My little brother now nearly 70 was only 9 when he started so why not the next generation.

Re prices agree there are some really good ones about. We have a UK firm that has advertised BTCC sets in NZ (2 cars) for as little as $58NZ (about $29UK) post free to NZ. I bought one set.

Regards Chas Le Breton