ZeGas

Tight Guide - Loose Guide

I don't think this discussion has ever been raised.

Tight guide versus loose guide.

Now when I say the above I am meaning only just tight, I bit of friction enough that if the car deslots the guide will hang where it was.

and only just loose, when I say that I'm not meaning sloppy just smooth and frictionless.

This may sound silly but I see benefits in both.

With a slightly tighter guide I see the car track better with less deslots and less tail slapping.

The offset I see (theory only) is that there could be a bit of drag but I'm trying to figure out how to test.

With a slightly smoother/looser guide I have seen more deslots and tail slapping when tyres get dirty.

The offset is when it does track times are slightly faster but less consistent.

In this years IPS I am thinking of entering my car with a slightly tighter guide as I think it might be more consistent overall.

Would love to know if anyone has put more thought into this than me.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

Hi Zegas.

Not sure there is a definite answer but certainly too tight will affect performance as will sloppy. I like to adjust mine so that it turns freely but just enough so it can self centre. Having the guide hole the right size minimises sideway slop which can be just as bad.

Perhaps you never come off but this does help marshals immensely. I do not always achieve this but I try. Not so bad if marshals know cars guide characteristics but overall self centre is best. Otherwise if cars do not easily re-slot marshal will turn car over to see what problem is and this wastes even more time.

Just my thoughts. Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

The guide to the guide, using clip in guides i will file a very slight amount of the top of the guide post, and lightly run a round file down the post hole , slightly lube inside the post so when i push a clip in guide into the post hole there is a very very very slight up and down movement, just enough to notice it.

With screw guides ,i generally do the same as above, then with the guide in the hole screw down the guide screw with washer to touch tight then turn back slightly so you can just feel again a very very slight up and down movement , that way a perfect mooving guide .

Also what i do is select a good wire not to thick or to thin , affix it to the braided guide , make a slight bow shape in the wire at the guide end feed it back to the motor and then cut the wire leaving a quarter of a inch which i expose to solder to the motor , this way i have found a self centering guide every time.

Loose and self centreing using the wire tension - as per him above ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

Will be interesting to see what happens.

PG this is what I have always done myself, so good to know I have been adequately following the sheep.

Unfortunately this was a tight hole issue, not a loose/tight screw issue, and I didn't have a drill bit the right size to mill out without sloppiness.

It's a pretty stable car so hopefully not too many deslots throughout the proxy, I think that is all that will hold it back.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

Grant a little set of round files is useful for reaming post holes, only cheap think mine cost less than a tenner on e bay