Bmw Minis - Reworked For Wood

SlotsNZ

I knocked up 4 x Scalextric BMW Minis for wood track racing some time back.

One of the quickest, roughest, dirtiest builds I have done, but by jingos are they fun to race as a house class. (IROC to USA readers)

I really must get around to a more permanent motor fixing method than hot glue . . . but so far they have held together.

minis3.jpg

minis4.jpg

http://youtu.be/effloBxsE4E

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Yeah, but they need it - so light without it anyway, just a shell body and a small chassis. It makes them a predictable drive - and the lap times are not shabby.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Hi Mark. I have some too but have had no trouble with SW layout. I have kept to original everything but have N22's on back. About 9gms of lead in front of motor, motor lowered and another 1 gm in front as cars were coming out at front. Still a work in progress.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Some serious traction there Mark!! Are you running N22's with softening oil? I am surprised how little black rubber build up you get on your track. I just run untreated N22's and P6's, but still get a fair bit of rubber buildup on my satin track surface after a lot of laps.

Hi Caddo, no E series - PT1170E1 it is the only good tyre that fits those tiny hubs. I think they got a short dose of NSR tyre oil... can't remember.

Yeah, grip is quite good. Hence the slab of lead to stop them doing the barrel roll.

We don't seem to get much rubber build up on any of our tracks

We use a mix of tyres, NSR, Slot.it, Sideways, mostly treated. - All smooth wood, some are enamel paint, some are acrylic - or acrylic clear coat.

Hi Caddo, no E series - PT1170E1 it is the only good tyre that fits those tiny hubs. I think they got a short dose of NSR tyre oil... can't remember.

Yeah, grip is quite good. Hence the slab of lead to stop them doing the barrel roll.

We use a mix of tyres, NSR, Slot.it, Sideways, mostly treated. - All smooth wood, some are enamel paint, some are acrylic - or acrylic clear coat.

Thanks for the feedback Mark, I've had a few comments over the years about the rubber build up on my track being because of tyre treatment. I don't do the treatment thing, and think it is more due to the textured surface I have. Even though the surface is glossy, the textured pockets allow the rubber to deposit.

Thanks for the feedback Mark, I've had a few comments over the years about the rubber build up on my track being because of tyre treatment. I don't do the treatment thing, and think it is more due to the textured surface I have. Even though the surface is glossy, the textured pockets allow the rubber to deposit.

I imagine so - plus, we used to clean our tracks with fuelite occasionally, that removed it all.

But I have only cleaned for "dust" with a wet hand towel the past couple of years, and track gets a fair bit of use - especially white lane which I use for all my test and build - which includes cars for articles, and the odd one I sort for someone else....

But as you saw in that video, grip is pretty good even without the black stripes. Lap record in the 4.8s, and half my classes run 4.9 to 5.0 in testing