Orakei Raceway 2020

Competitor cars from last Tues nights MRRC Clubman Class.

The King Cobra is the favorite weapon of choice - Low, wide and light but now and again we get Cheetahs, Corvettes and Ferrari.

They all run the Alloy Clubman chassis with the MRRC 16k motor inline and std gearing 9 to 27T.

Overall winner was Westie(#97) second was Paul Y (#7), third was Alex (#8).

Great looking paint jobs and classic 60s cars always look cool.

20200218_202511.jpg?dl=0

20200218_202518.jpg?dl=0

20200218_204523.jpg?dl=0

20200218_204528.jpg?dl=0

Orakei Racer

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!

Nice class. I ran 2 of those King Cobras for years in our pre '65 class. But we had only a 16k RPM motor restriction outright on stock chassis, no restriction on type of motor

The stock MRRC chassis could only take a ff050 slimline, and the only legal FF050 was a 14K BWA = 2.2 watts.

I just couldn't keep up with the Fly and Ninco cars running 16K SRP/MRRC FC-130 1092 motors which are about 5.3 watt two and a half times the power.

And Ninco with NC2 FK180

So I had to shift to a Ninco Jag and a Fly Ferrari that could fit an FC130

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

The MRRC clubman alloy chassis kits come with motor brackets to run FC130 motors inline which everyone has to run ie no FF motors which levels the playing field. No one liked the Sebring std plastic chassis so we settled on the clubman chassis as it's adjustable and the mounts matched the stock MRRC bodies. Only downside is they do bend easily.

At the moment we are just running MRRC bodies but I'm in the process of converting a Revell/Monogram Chappy 2A body to fit a Clubman chassis, need to make a new interior floor and motor pan to make them as shallow as possible otherwise they rub on the top of the motor but body mounting posts line up nicely with the chassis.

Believe MRRC used the same body moulds as Revell/Monogram ie shouldn't contravene rules, then maybe next project will be the Revell Shelby Daytona though there is a lot of interior to remove to fit a FC130 motor inline.

• Upvote 1

Orakei Racer

• 1 month later...

My first lockdown project nearly done!

You ever find that starting a project is always easy, you're enthusiastic, the research is interesting, things seem to progress nicely, then you hit a snag or need to order a part.

Then you suddenly lose interest, that project goes back on the shelf and you look around for a new project to start!

I must have ADD, as my shelf is full of half started projects or is this normal for people in our hobby.

Any way I commenced this project in early March and now being stuck at home, I have no excuses not to finish it, though who knows how long before I can test run it.

It started as a Monogram 1/32 Chappy Mk 2 with a Sebring Chassis. I wanted to run it in our MRRC house class figuring that MRRC use to produce this model probably from the same mould.

The challenge was fitting a MRRC Clubman kit alloy chassis under it with a std 16k FC-130 motor in inline Configuration, as the stock floor of the cockpit and motor base detail were too deep and interfered with the top of the motor.

Lucky all the body posts lined up with the alloy chassis so the only surgery was re-working the interior and motor base.

I cut out the cockpit floor which included the seat details and replaced it with a thin plastic card floor, cut the driver in half from the waist down, reinstalling the steering wheel was the hardest part as it turned out there was not alot of room under the windscreen, especially as I raised the floor a bit - so had to do some surgery on the steering wheel and halved it too.

Used more Plastic card to rebuild the Motor base plate, the injector pipes may end up sitting a little taller but I wasn't going to chop them- anyway -just looks like a Mclaren M6A.

The Body posts once I separated them from the original cockpit floor just screwed back into place on the body.

In theory as I was careful cutting up the original cockpit floor, I could probably restore it back to it's original state.

20200402_160723.jpg?dl=0

20200402_160735.jpg?dl=0

More later.

Orakei Racer

....You ever find that starting a project is always easy, you're enthusiastic, the research is interesting, things seem to progress nicely, then you hit a snag or need to order a part.

Then you suddenly lose interest, that project goes back on the shelf and you look around for a new project to start!

I must have ADD, as my shelf is full of half started projects or is this normal for people in our hobby.

Normal is not a word I typically associate with our hobby

But common - as the man on TV says "happens more often than you think"

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

• 1 year later...

Ran our Inaugural Slotit Nissan Skyline R32 class last Tuesday and we were graced by the presence of Chris Radisch to our little track.

Pleased to see we didn't have too many duplicate liveries. There were good signs for the class with close racing and alot of fun. Top 3 were separated only by segments.

Everyone is still tuning their cars to get the right handling formula to suit their driving styles but surprising how stable the cars are.

We set in the rules stock motor and gearing, P6 tires only and some weight allowed - for most, we were running 4.8 to 5.0 sec laps, but to be expected Westie and Chris was running  4.7 laps, so they are the bench mark. Pretty sure with some more tuning and track time, everyone will get closer performance wise.

Pics below - we still have another 4 cars to come who couldn't race this side of the year but I can see some more Jimmy Richard cars appearing - just a iconic livery.

20211221_220729.jpg?dl=0

20211221_220737.jpg?dl=0

20211221_220749.jpg?dl=0

Edited by miked
  • Like 2

Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!

• 2 weeks later...