Bye Bye Holden

mtpanorama

Has Supercars Australia become the most irrelevant racing series in existence. We currently have the Frankenstang which only looks a little bit like the road car (when was the last time a road car looked better than the race car) and we have an Commodore that is no longer available from a manufacturer that will soon no longer exist. Interesting times ahead for Australian touring car racing.

Corporate greed is driving inflation.

Cash, use it or lose it.  No Digital Currency, No Digital ID.

Glad to see they will have to change it now I have been over Supercars for years. Only watch Bathurst now.

I like GT4 as there is such a wide range of cars and they are production based. Probably won’t happen though and we will be stuck with some other series.

At least we may get some decent drivers running S5000 Open Wheelers.

Now I did read somewhere - but can't find a link now, claiming that GM were getting out of all manufacture of right hand drive cars.

That didn't make sense to me. Maybe they meant under the american GM logo.

I cannot imagine Opel in Germany ceasing production of RHD, there are big sales to the "once we were Europeans" club on the big island off the west coast of Brittany........

And there must be GM partners in Asia - who is is these days Isuzu? I don't keep up with this stuff.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Now I did read somewhere - but can't find a link now, claiming that GM were getting out of all manufacture of right hand drive cars.

That didn't make sense to me. Maybe they meant under the american GM logo.

I cannot imagine Opel in Germany ceasing production of RHD, there are big sales to the "once we were Europeans" club on the big island off the west coast of Brittany........

And there must be GM partners in Asia - who is is these days Isuzu? I don't keep up with this stuff.

I read it somewhere also. That they want to rationalise low profit markets and remove many RHD models because the engineering is hardly worth the effort. The analysis I read said something like its convenient for bean counters to write off whole divisions without giving a damn about the long term problems. They just want to concentrate on making their core markets (US and China) profitable.

Saw an easy to read article by James Valentine (I've known him personally for a number of years) which I thought was insightful. He's not a motoring journalist but I thought this article/analysis was a good read...

Its very disappointing, imagine the potential for Holden and local engineering and manufacturing if it had been nurtured by partisan politics. (yeah right you may say!)

Edited by Slotspeed

Nice Falcon GAS41T.

I'm not sure if Holden is associated with Isuzu any more, does anyone know if the D-Max and Colorado are the same truck re-badged, I have a feeling that Isuzu are their own company at the moment.

I'm fairly sure they do have/had a link to Asia with Daewoo which makes/made the Cruze.

In the Herald Sun yesterday in the article with Roland Dane it was mentioned that the Holden supporters were not buying the product and noticed that they were turning up to the races in other brands of cars (not a direct quote, edited by me).

GM has made a partnership with Great Wall and is pushing their product through Asia and elsewhere, and anything with a Chevrolet badge will not be produced in Asia.

Holden have had their head on the chopping block since GM was put in front of their name.

I love the fact that all the guys that were too embarrassed to have a Holden badge on their car, put the chev one on instead, are now putting the lion back on to show how loyal they are.

In the end GM doesn't give a rats about 0.2% of the world's car buying population putting their arse in a Holden.

• Upvote 1

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Great Wall, didn't they make the cars with the 1 star crash rating, looks like they only make SUV's and pick-up trucks, do they have anything that can be used as a Supercar.

HOT FAKE NEWS: Supercars to race SUV's as their main class along side the pick-up truck support class. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Edited by mtpanorama

HOT FAKE NEWS: Supercars to race SUV's as their main class along side the pick-up truck support class. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Don't remind me of the silly stadium truck series that gets way too much TV airtime. Wasting track time that could be used for proper circuit racing. Put them in a stadium where they they can star the show and will be more relevant.

Edited by Slotspeed

I owned a Holden once.

The most recent was twelve months ago(VZ wagon)...then go back in time to about 1977 when I had an HQ ute with the "tutae" three motor, sounded good though

Now days it is the stars in an oval.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

The new Commodore.... complete fail.... I think I’ve seen 3 on the road since it’s release.

Daughters boyfriends parents are full on Holden fans and bought a new wagon about 6 months ago for a stupid discount. They have been cheap for months but would you risk it?

Don't remind me of the silly stadium truck series that gets way too much TV airtime. Wasting track time that could be used for proper circuit racing. Put them in a stadium where they they can star the show and will be more relevant.

I don't mind the Stadium Trucks, they do belong on the dirt but at least they are way better than the "superute" series pick-up trucks that replaced the V8 Utes unsuccessfully, funny that the "stupidutes" are not on the schedule this weekend.

Kept hearing the Camaro mentioned across the weekend but didn't GM in America say NO to that a couple of years ago.

I like the new company line being used of "people don't follow brands anymore, they follow teams or drivers".

I had many Holdens over the years, my dad always encouraged us to "buy local" to support local industry. Sadly not everyone got the memo?

I sold my last one, a 1996 V8 Ute in 2007, and haven't seen it since. That was until yesterday when out of the blue I was behind it in traffic, 2klms from where I live. Couldn't believe my eyes! ( the guy that bought it lived 150klms away )

• Upvote 1

www.sydneyslotcars.com

• 3 months later...

No big surprise, Holden has worked out a deal to drop its factory support one year early at the end of this year instead of the contracted end of 2021.

This leaves "Supercars" with no manufacturer support at all, one car that barely resembles the road car it is based on and the other car that doesn't exist.

Has this series reached or exceeded its used by date.

6 hours ago, mtpanorama said:

No big surprise, Holden has worked out a deal to drop its factory support one year early at the end of this year instead of the contracted end of 2021.

This leaves "Supercars" with no manufacturer support at all, one car that barely resembles the road car it is based on and the other car that doesn't exist.

Has this series reached or exceeded its used by date.

Exceeded it by a couple of years. They should have gone to GT4 cars if people want to watch attainable Sports style cars. 

Yeah, exceeded.

I hope the powers that be can keep a unique top tier tin top category for our shores, perhaps we're going to move towards a a gt4/tcr hybrid which will allow v8's to race hot hatches, something more relevant to current markets and competition budgets.

I can dream.ll

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

14 hours ago, Vinno said:

Exceeded it by a couple of years. They should have gone to GT4 cars if people want to watch attainable Sports style cars. 

Interesting that you mention GT4 as I think they were trying to head to something like that when they dropped the V8 from the branding and became just Supercars and changed the rules to allow two door cars into the category.  Where I think they messed up was with the set chassis and roll cage which does not seem to fit any car and didn't give the parity it was suppose to.

Reading yesterday that they're working on the 2022 chassis to enable it to fit many different body shells, including coupes.

Bigger question is 'will they still be here in 2022'

If you have shares in Supercars, sell them now.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

I don't think GT4 is the answer as it is a Sports Car class not a Touring Car class and Supercars Australia have been trying so hard recently to manufacture a link back to the 60's and 70's and claiming Supercars is a direct continuation from the A.T.C.C.

Will be interesting to see what happens in 2022, we might get a Mustang that actually looks like a Mustang but what will it race against, a Camaro, we don't need another Mustang Camaro class, I can watch that now with Nascar or TA2 which has the added bonus of the Dodge Challenger.  What else could they race though, TCR have the hot hatches, Super Utes has already been tried and failed, I was only joking when I mentioned racing SUV's but if they went that way that would definitely be a way to kill the series, electric anyone?

There is not much out there that you can call a Touring Car these days, maybe Camry, Mondeo, Mazda6, plus whatever the other brands make that is similar but without Ford vs Holden or at least Chevy I don't think it will be supported, guess we wait for now.

3 hours ago, mtpanorama said:

I don't think GT4 is the answer as it is a Sports Car class not a Touring Car class and Supercars Australia have been trying so hard recently to manufacture a link back to the 60's and 70's and claiming Supercars is a direct continuation from the A.T.C.C.

Will be interesting to see what happens in 2022, we might get a Mustang that actually looks like a Mustang but what will it race against, a Camaro, we don't need another Mustang Camaro class, I can watch that now with Nascar or TA2 which has the added bonus of the Dodge Challenger.  What else could they race though, TCR have the hot hatches, Super Utes has already been tried and failed, I was only joking when I mentioned racing SUV's but if they went that way that would definitely be a way to kill the series, electric anyone?

There is not much out there that you can call a Touring Car these days, maybe Camry, Mondeo, Mazda6, plus whatever the other brands make that is similar but without Ford vs Holden or at least Chevy I don't think it will be supported, guess we wait for now.

Yes it is a Sportscar class but there is nothing left of touring cars to watch. TCR is the current class that would fill that spot and I know I won’t watch it. Not that they are catering to me in particular, more the general public. It is possible motor racing for the general population may actually die out as cars become white goods for the majority. 

For me GT4 is of interest as the cars run factory style engines with parity additions, which makes it a but like the old days of motor racing with modified road cars like Group C was. If you recall the late 60’s of Jane, Geoghgan, etc it was really a sports car class then. Mustangs, Camaro’s, Porsche’s and Alfa Romeo’s to name a few. 

Not saying you aren’t correct as there is no touring car style class but I think that is dead now. Hopefully the general public can relate and it may come back to drivers rather than car brands.