Issue With Fitting Hawk Motor Into Slotit S/w Pod

5 replies to this topic

#1 Orakei Racer

Slotcar racer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:13 PM

I have been playing around with Hawk 18K motors for a new Club Class and have noticed that the Hawk motor appears to be slightly bigger than a Standard Slot it Motor.
Case in point, I found that you really needed to shoe horn the Hawk into a Slotit Sidewinder 0.5mm Offset pod - once in, it felt like it wasn't going anywhere, which is good if you didn't intend changing motors but because I was testing motors, when I went to remove the Hawk, I cracked the Can end bracket of the pod at the base, which indicates The Hawk motor was too tight and putting the pod under pressure.

Any suggestions on how to relieve the pressure on the Slotit Pod pod for a Hawk motor?
Orakei Racer

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!

#2 Peter Gunn

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 05:31 PM

What i did was to open up the can end of the pod a little with a scarple, shaving a bit of the inside and the edge and tip of the can end opening , ran a shaped file gently round the inside edge and the inside of the bell end and no problems , however much more difficult when pod and gears, rear wheels on the car, so i have a couple of spare pods i use for set ups' only takes a couple of minutes to swap them over and add running gear.

#3 Orakei Racer

Slotcar racer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 05:56 PM

View PostPeter Gunn, on 17 February 2020 - 05:31 PM, said:

What i did was to open up the can end of the pod a little with a scarple, shaving a bit of the inside and the edge and tip of the can end opening , ran a shaped file gently round the inside edge and the inside of the bell end and no problems , however much more difficult when pod and gears, rear wheels on the car, so i have a couple of spare pods i use for set ups' only takes a couple of minutes to swap them over and add running gear.

Thanks for the tip- I'll give it a whirl.
Orakei Racer

#4 Peter Gunn

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:39 PM

Checking my pods Orakei in sidewinder configuration i have noticed the white one's are made of a less forgiving plastic, don't bend that easily to clip the motor in and i,m sure just a tad thicker now i have them in front of me

#5 Orakei Racer

Slotcar racer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:18 PM

Counting this recent breakage as my second broken pod - both being 0.5mm offsets - maybe I just need to be a bit more gentle with the 0.5's.
Never had an issue with the .75 or 1mm pods.
Orakei Racer

#6 Peter Gunn

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:14 AM

Only split one , after that eased them a little like i said and not had any trouble since, i now have 6 cars with these pods in, all ok .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users