Policar track design

6 replies to this topic

#1 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:56 AM

Someone sent me this design, and asked if I could help them design a 2 lane version, for construction using
the Policar track system.

Posted Image

He had some space constraints, which dictated shortening the top end, and using R1 & R2 curves not R2/R3
Policar is about 1 lane larger in turn circle than Ninco, so the R1`curves are a bit more practical for use.

So I set about using the basic track file for Ultimate Racer 30 and came up with this. As the sR1 and R2
22.5 degree curves aren't yet available, I threw in some R3 where I needed 22.5 degrees and ended up with this
Posted Image

Thoughts on the flow?
Slots addict 1st class * Classic quote for 2019 "whaa whaa whoo, where is I " * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club Website

#2 ZeGas

ZeGas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:00 PM

That's one nasty hairpin.
Cheers Grant
Posted Image.......................................................Posted Image
Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

If life gives you lemons, take them, free s#!t is cool.

#3 stumbley

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:04 PM

Without some access hole in the middle, it looks difficult to marshal. Otherwise, an interesting, technical course.

P.S. — helping keep up the post numbers from across the big pond...

Edited by stumbley, 14 February 2020 - 05:05 PM.

#4 Vinno

GP2 Driver

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,555 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:34 PM

I need to get that program so I can design one for my space. 7metre straight so plenty of space.

#5 munter

re member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 05:04 AM

Not bad, Mark but I would remove some of the squiggles in that lower left hand loop and in the centre over pass.....flow is a prime goal in my design book.
John Warren
Slotcars are my preferred reality

#6 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:41 AM

The Grid is set at 50cm, so overall about 1.2 wide, which about our reach for marshaling.
Yeah, each to his own I guess on the squiggles - I would open it up more too.
I think he has the first timer thing about making the longest possible track for the space available - we've all been there.

I wonder about less turns, and using mainly R2 and R3, instead of mainly R1 and R2
Policar is roughly "half a lane wider" at each "R" value than Ninco, but R1 is still quite tight.

Still I will let him mull a bit before suggesting the changes - and I will have all your thoughts to show him as well

Vince - Free download, but it doesn't include Policar in an official release. I have a ZIP of the files here I can send you for it.

For anyone with a Mac. Jan who owns RailModeller, which makes Mac/IOS apps for model railway and slot car track design, is
now working on adding Policar to the stable. https://www.railmodeller.com
It wasn't until I got in contact with Jan, that I learned that he lived in Christchurch for 3 years and maintains strong connections
there.
On the Rail Modeller site, there is a link to a charity he has to support conservation efforts of the Kakapo
https://www.isleofth...fthekakapo.html (For Ozzies, that and the more common Kea, are our big parrots)

Posted Image
Slots addict 1st class * Classic quote for 2019 "whaa whaa whoo, where is I " * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club Website

#7 Sports Racer

V8 Supercar Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:55 PM

Posted Image

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D
May the downforce be with you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users