Cadillac El Dorado Kitbash

2 replies to this topic

#1 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:37 AM

This was a kit bash that I did a while back.
A 1/32nd scale 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham by Gunze Sangyo

Posted Image

Posted Image
The sensible choice of chassis seemed to be a Revell Stocker chassis, as I intended to run it against
these and other similar kits to be made up. I had some nice whitewall tyres, and set up a Revell
Galaxy chassis with some nice 72 pitch gears, Slot.it bushes and axle, and some BWA 15 x 6mm
wheels I had lying about – Chassis runs sweet, even though it lacks much in the way of guide lead.

Posted Image

The first thing I discovered was that luxurious Caddys came with a wheelbase longer than some
football fields. Time to get creative – or butcherous.
Posted Image

So I stripped the chassis bare, cut it, fitted a ¾”/ 20mm wide section of plasticard, braced it with
some brass rod, and stuck the whole thing together with JB Weld, while holding it square and flat
on a chassis flattening plate with lots of magnets.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Now I would like to inform you that this looks a bit rough because it has just dried and I haven’t
cleaned it up yet. I would LIKE to tell you that, but mother said I shouldn’t lie.

Posted Image

But when it was done, I had a chassis with the correct wheelbase, which runs very nice, smooth,
and predictable.
The body posts were made up to fit at back, and in the front, I used a small square of velco
under the bonnet and on the top of the plate which holds the front axle assembly. It took a bit
of messing about to get the height correct, but once done it was an easy solution for a car that
isn’t going to be an out and out racer.

Undercoat then some silver then finished with several light coats of gloss black, and I am ready
to cruise Sunset boulevard.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A bit of work to do on inserts and other detail, and I really should fit it with some interior lights
for cruising... one day. Meanwhile its elbows out the window, rolled up jeans and a white T-shirt
Slots addict 1st class * Classic quote for 2019 "whaa whaa whoo, where is I " * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club Website

#2 munter

re member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:32 AM

Nice result ,Mark.

I cant quite make out the driver...Vin Diesel perhaps?
John Warren
Slotcars are my preferred reality

#3 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:02 AM

View Postmunter, on 13 February 2020 - 04:32 AM, said:

Nice result ,Mark.
I cant quite make out the driver...Vin Diesel perhaps?

The original cool guy. - Vin is just a johnny-come-lately genx cut out copy - but a good one

Posted Image

Posted Image
Slots addict 1st class * Classic quote for 2019 "whaa whaa whoo, where is I " * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club Website

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users