Peter Gunn

Lack Of Interest

just some will get there a lot quicker than others

Great pun for a slot car forum, PG....... I'm quite a bit junior in age to you (65) and my hobbies almost rule my life since retiring 10 years back....

I have just caught this thread - and believe I have contributed a somewhat of late to regenerating interest.....

Like you, I go hot and cold on slot cars.... I have way too many hobbies - probably be good at one of them if I vetted out the others...

I tend to run in short bursts in all of them, but they take centre stage and my fullest attention in life when the spotlight lands on each individual one..

Many simply don't appreciate the worth of forums vs facebook... try to access something on facebook which is not "current"... even some of your own posts are buried below a plethora of successive diatribe...

Forums allow us one great advantage to afford us direct access..... and that is by use of the "search" function... although, I must put my hand up - I am guilty of posting duplicated material, when a simple "search" would prevent it.... allowing me to simply add to or refresh an existing thread....

thanks for starting this thread - the responding comments assure us that this forum is alive and well..

frats,

Rosco

Cheers Rosco when i started this i thought it was a shame that it was underused and low and behold since the Virus and now the upgrading going on , seems there is a resurgance in Auslot long may it continue , think we all need such an outlet, perhaps even more now.

• Like 1

We have seldom had less than 10 threads in 24 hours for about 2 months (a week prior to lockdown) 
24 threads active in the last 48 hours.... that's the most in recent memory. 

A lot of new members created manually the calendar year, and Wylde who just joined, was the first who did so for himself after the update on Friday night.
Well done all contributors.  Cranking !

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

Cheers for the Mention SlotsNZ.

I had tried joining earlier on last year, well before the forum upgrade but alas no luck so I contacted Munter through FB and he had helped me in joining via the "behind the scenes" (thanks Munter) so I had an account but it only partially worked. 

I could sign in but couldnt post, so I left it..... until I saw the notification on FB. As a new member here I feel that activity and membership on the forum will hopefully increase now joining the forum is more straightforward. Hopefully others will do the same.

Cheers fellas!

Edited by Wylde

I’m glad we finally got the upgrade done but it was in the planning before COVID so I am guessing we would have picked up some interest anyway. 

I hope it works for a while as it needs to be there when I finally retire of semi retire whenever that is. 

6 hours ago, Farrout said:

For what it is worth I am finding lots of content on here I haven’t seen before. Trying to contribute some too

Please do, the more the better. 

Hi all. I have been a consistent contributor all the way through. Good to see the new blood come on board though. We all have a responsibility to ensure AUSLOT is as interesting and helpful to all as possible. I will certainly continue to do my bit.

Just to help had my brother and three of his grand kids around to try my new wood track yesterday. They had a great time. Our first club day on track is next Sunday.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Since the virus started i have been contacted by quite  a few people from way back, couple from old clubs we used to race against in the late 60,s , and a couple i knew fairly recently who used to go to a local club that closed a year or so ago.

Obviously it was the virus that bought us together once again, people remember others at times like this and just wonder if they are ok and still with us, and the e mails and the chat always comes back to slot cars , some like me have nowhere to race except on their home track, some don't race anymore but have their old cars still, but we all have that thing in common the interest in slot cars.

Times may have changed for us all but deep down inside the interest in slot cars will never die, just the racing side is no longer available to so many.

It just goes to show....we can leave slotcars but slotcars never leaves us

• Like 3

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Well, this is an older topic that I thought was worth a comment on in current circumstances.

I for one, am very thankful that forums such as this still exist.  In the wake of F Books bully boy tactics in this country I am certainly re-considering my need for it being a part of my life anymore, and I'll wager quite a few others are in the same boat. If this means a return to a higher level of interest in this style of discussion group, then that would be a very good thing.

Thanks to all who continue this platform.

• Like 2

I really don't think I have ever used Facebook for news so I don't get what all the nonsense is about. I do look at the ABC news site online and if there is something that peeks my interest internationally I go to USA Today or BBC etc but I don't recall ever opening Facebook to check out the new for the day.

When I use Fb - I message friends or I check out special interest groups eg Historic Racing groups and slot car groups. About the only thing other than that I look at is cute cat videos or people falling off ladders. At the moment Fb thinks I like videos on animal rescues so I keep seeing videos of people pulling a deer out of a lake or a owl stuck in a fence. That will teach me to watch one or two of them.....

DM

• Like 1

Don't do facebook or any other of that type of platform, what's happening down under has certainly landed on top slot on our news tonight , knocked covid down a slot , be interesting to see what might happen world wide , unless the politicians are spineless , smacks of a dictatorship, and anyway about time these organisations paid more in taxes they are taking the P-------..

The Australian news on FB is mainly fake or has an agenda like the rest of the world so no real loss in fact probably a gain. 

• Like 1

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

4 hours ago, dangermouse said:

I really don't think I have ever used Facebook for news so I don't get what all the nonsense is about. I do look at the ABC news site online and if there is something that peeks my interest internationally I go to USA Today or BBC etc but I don't recall ever opening Facebook to check out the new for the day.

When I use Fb - I message friends or I check out special interest groups eg Historic Racing groups and slot car groups. About the only thing other than that I look at is cute cat videos or people falling off ladders. At the moment Fb thinks I like videos on animal rescues so I keep seeing videos of people pulling a deer out of a lake or a owl stuck in a fence. That will teach me to watch one or two of them.....

DM

Weird, I just get the cat ones.... probably my own fault, for belated research on the Tonkinese we acquired,
and why it alternately behaves like a Labrador pup, a feral lynx and the head of an Asian Triad.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3NZ3_16eZFbKdJ3-EQnz

3 hours ago, aussieslotter said:

The Australian news on FB is mainly fake or has an agenda like the rest of the world so no real loss in fact probably a gain. 

Yeah, and it tends to reinforce anything you have read before too, so after a couple of weeks, all you can see in your feed is Fox news and Breitbart flavour, or CNN and Huffington post flavour. 
I often find myself turning to the India Times or Al Jajeera to try and get a neutral-ish take on some of the "western" news channels.
Funnily enough, the Spanish are just stubborn enough to allow a little strawberry flavour and a little blueberry flavour on some of their sites. So I sometimes read the Spanish regional papers online to get EEC news.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

12 hours ago, Malomay said:

Well, this is an older topic that I thought was worth a comment on in current circumstances.

I for one, am very thankful that forums such as this still exist.  In the wake of F Books bully boy tactics in this country I am certainly re-considering my need for it being a part of my life anymore, and I'll wager quite a few others are in the same boat. If this means a return to a higher level of interest in this style of discussion group, then that would be a very good thing.

Thanks to all who continue this platform.

Funny you mention this as I had a rant with a couple of mods on a moderator section here yesterday about Faceache. I have used it  probably too much because of all the groups I have been involved in over the last few years. Mountain bike groups, slotcar groups, car groups etc  

Anyway I was talking to some old school friends on messenger about a mate who passed away last week and when the funeral is. I then get a message saying I am spamming and get a 3 day posting ban. It made me think how much of my time I am wasting and it’s time to get back to forums and just doing stuff. Even just watching a tv program without being on social media. 

Since my ban has lifted I have spent about 5 minutes on arseache and actually enjoying the time away. If I want to go for a mountain bike ride I will text my mates. If I want to get the Mustang out for a cruise I will text or phone call. A little bit of facecrap time but they have lost me overall. 

Oh and I can’t understand the dumb c&$?’s who say I am annoyed I can’t check the Bureau of Meterorology on Facecrap. Check it on the BOM website you nutcase. 

And who really gets their news on Facearse when you can get it on the actual website, free to air radio or TV. Nothing should be controlled by a monopoly and this is the problem with a platform like this. 

The other issue is the Google debate. The problem here is the more of a monopoly Google has the better the search engine. Fun times ahead and it’s good to see the Australian Government stirring the pot internationally. 

Channels 2,7,9 and 10 are told what they can say and what they can’t. Lots of fake and biased news. I have all the news outlets except Sky Australia blocked on Farcebook. And I refuse to watch TV news or The Project.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

As far as I can tell, Sky is just as biased as the others. ABC seems the most balanced,  hence why the government is trying to shut them down!

#saveourABC

For the last year i think many people have been playing catch up , from decorating, doing those jobs you were putting of till tomorroow and sundry other things , possibly not when this started originally but definitly in the last 6 months or so here.

I suppose i have bought slot car kits i might not have bought just for something to do , modified many of my older cars basically in the mechanicals , spent money on this hobby i might not have spent normally, but i think i,ve run out of things to do slot car wise , and my mate is the same has his own track so he's a lone racer like me we race against the clock taken cars which are really good in standard form and made them into super racers by upgrading the mechanicals and especially the motor .

We have a little competition who can build the fastes Lola T70 Thunderslot  and  i held the record for 3 months with a Pirana 25 K ballrace motor in a ballraced sidewinder pod , i send my car to him to set laps on his track and he sends his car to me to set laps all this by post just something to do , but now the bugger has put a NSR 40k in his car and i knocked 3 tenths of a second lap time on my track with it , blimey that car is fast has trued and glued NSR Ultras on the back and geared at 11 x 34 , both our cars use the same set up.

It,s just been really something to do to keep the interest alive , but we can't work out what to do next,any ideas .

8 hours ago, Shaynus said:

As far as I can tell, Sky is just as biased as the others. ABC seems the most balanced,  hence why the government is trying to shut them down!

#saveourABC

ABC is the most biased of the lot. After that The Project.

Pretty sad when you think tax payers pay for the rubbish ABC dish out.

They must be concerned too if they need to say “save the ABC”.

Typical example was telling us all the fires last year were the worst on record. They weren’t by a long shot. And then using it to back up the climate change bullshit. 

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Have to agree with Rick on this. ABC is paid for by all tax payers and only ever present one side of an argument. Take for example the latest rape allegation against a sitting cabinet minister. ABC came out and presented the story despite protestations by her family ( the girl committed suicide) that they didnt want to be dragged through this again. They proceeded with the story anyway. Anything for a headline.

Here’s an example of our dishonest ABC wasting our money and you wonder why the call to defund them.

www.scorpiuswireless.com