Peter Gunn

Lack Of Interest

Lack of interest to race.....

I don’t have time to go race , I work 6days a week so I’m to buggered to drive 25mins stand up all night for 6hours then get home at 12 midnight to try recover for work Monday...

I proxy race as it suits my lifestyle....I’m 40yrs old with a 8yr old boy & a 5yr old girl which I don’t see much with work ....Then my father is in a nursing home so a visit Sunday leaves me with no time to race...I would like to see caddo enter a proxy to see how he can build ....And age differences come into play also....I’m actually thinking of selling all my slot stuff as I have a drag car I haven’t raced for 5yrs and now I inherited my dads ford Fairmont XY ...

Need more hours in the day and more days in the week....

I think from my perspective we have had many comings and goings in our race group for various reasons. One of the largest however, is group members not getting along with others in the group. I myself let things slide and and therefore the banter doesnt bother me. Some dont see it that way.

As we all know this is a niche market. (Most of my mates are racing lovers and we have group of 20 or so that regularly go to the 12 hour event. However, ) not one of them is interested in slot cars. Despite my best efforts, they just dont seem to take to it)

Without trying to sound to PC, we need to be inclusive of peoples thoughts on different topics and behaviours. I, like most have a definite favourite class but understand as these cars are no longer available we need to adapt with the times to allow new comers in. I dont like all the rules we run with but am happy to play along as the alternative is to sit at home and race by myself.

Another thing is the competitiveness. Most racers are by definition competitive. So there will always be the guys who are up the front and the mid pack guys and the slower guys. I have suggested the following to even up the field without greatly compromising everyone

1. The winner of a class series has to sell his car to the slowest guy in the group at a fair market value. This allows the slower guy to at least concentrate only on his driving ability (which will vary as well) The faster guys can easily build a new weapon and repeat the process.

2. Have a class or 2 of breakout racing. Setting a time limit for a lap seems counter intuitive to racing but the faster guys are usually more consistent. This really affects no one but does bring the masses closer together.

3. Running a lot more box standard type racing. Take your typical Slot.it car and make a rule to only allow tyre changes also helps bring the field closer. Once we start changing to sidewinder and gear ratios etc the new guys just cant compete with the guys with experience and tracks to set up on.

4. Running a lot more teams enduro events. By grouping guys together it creates a lot more comraderie and gives the slower guys a chance to run a fast, well set up car.

5. Running a lot more host car classes. Not everyones favourite but we seem to always have higher numbers whenever we run this format. There can be little complaints about tyre treatment etc when all the cars are the same.

Would like to hear your opinions on the above.

But, I think most important is to include people as much as possible. It matters little whether someone dislikes another member as we dont have to congregate with that person at a race meet. Just keep it cordial is all.

Regards

John

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

John,

Another John on this forum had employed the breakout time on his digital track.

It was an awesome inclusion and even the fastest guys though it was great.

He also employed the same thing for the teams enduro, it is amazing how many "secrets" are given up once a fast guy is teamed with a slower one.

Gotta give him full cred for the way he runs things, he even set a probation period to make sure newcomers suited the environment.

Never had a bad time when I was able to go.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

Grant , i'll let you into a little secret , but shhhhhh don't let on , i started this post to awake the dormant , and it B well worked didn't it. :D :D

I'm not on Facebook so I use forums and Auslot is my first port of call when the computer is turned on. Would post more but not being computer savvy I'm unable to put photos up a situation made a bit worse as my daughter who was my I.T. tech support has moved to New Zealand. I would happily pay a subscription if that meant there was an easy way to post picks.

Every group has its fast guys, that's the nature of the beast and so one group I race with has Club Supplied where 4 SCX LMP's stay in the lanes and the drivers rotate through. This always evens out the field and last Friday night we had seven covered by a lap and a half, four on the lead lap. Great fun!

Chris.

Late Model

"1. The winner of a class series has to sell his car to the slowest guy in the group at a fair market value. This allows the slower guy to at least concentrate only on his driving ability (which will vary as well) The faster guys can easily build a new weapon and repeat the process."

I would make sure I never won a series LOL - but seriously I put a lot of time into getting a car right and wouldn't want to sell it to someone who hasn't put in the time just because I won the series. I am happy to tell people what I do and will even work on a car for someone but once I buy and set up a car and it starts winning well I am keeping it.... :)

Edited by dangermouse

....... one group I race with has Club Supplied where 4 SCX LMP's stay in the lanes and the drivers rotate through. This always evens out the field and last Friday night we had seven covered by a lap and a half, four on the lead lap. Great fun!

Chris.

The American term is IROC Racing - not sure what the acronym means, locally we call it a "house class" as the "house" we happened to be racing in, tends to be the supplier of a set of cars matched for that track.

In our mob, that is mostly SlotMadMac and myself, who both have a few "sets" of cars, he builds a new one or two each year.

They certainly make for closer racing because half the difference between the faster and slower guys is the tools and experience to tune - and access to a test track, as half our club have a routed track at home, half don't. we all like a house class.

One time I also raced with a bunch of guys who were part of the same gang who race at Armchair. - I called them the "Greek gang" as a lot of them had a shared ancestry. Tooter who was a regular here, was part of the group. They raced the alternate week to the Armchair events.

Each week one guy? two guys? would bring a sets of cars and that is all they raced each night. Everyone drove the same cars, and you only needed to bring cars every 4 or 5 weeks, the rest of the time just turn up and put in your pizza order.

A lot of fun, very relaxed.

but seriously I put a lot of time into getting a car right and wouldn't want to sell it to someone who hasn't put in the time just because I won the series. I am happy to tell people what I do and will even work on a car for someone but once I buy and set up a car and it starts winning well I am keeping it.... :)

Yeah, I've heard of this, and it didn't float my boat at all. Seems counter-intuitive to good car building and genuine effort.

But I will sell newer guys spare cars sometimes, and that saves them having to build one class for a year or two.

I would much rather help guys learn the skills and get that satisfaction for themselves.

I open up every few weeks at home, so people with less gear can use my tools, lathes and track to tune.

They can ask "how-do-I?" questions, and it is not just me answering.

Mac does the same.

Some of the newer guys can teach other newer-still guys as well. Very satisfying to watch that happen; and it also bonds the slot-brotherhood.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

It certainly has sparked some interest, well done PG !!!!!

Our group has a good mix, we have a couple of "gun" drivers and builders, one spends an enormous amount of time setting up his cars and is quite intense during racing, he has been sweeping the floor lately, winning all 3 classes on the night regularly, and in doing so has .3 or .4 sec fastest lap and average laps on the field.

we also have the guy who blames everyone else for him crashing or deslotting !!! He drives quite well and is fast, but gee he can take you outta business quickly.

Everyone helps each other with different advice and helping each other on different car setups and tyre choices, I just enjoy the company and have fun racing slot cars,

Winning is a bonus

Foam & goop are unbeatable when it comes to lap time. The cars developed in both 1/32 and 1/24 that use them are a completely different animal to hardbody plastic cars with bespoke racing, Euro and World championships.

Our club allows treating rubber as long as no residue is left on the track, as tyres are the most important part of tuning the cars you can make big improvements here.

Hi Kevan, I get that foam & goo are unbeatable, wonder if just laying magnabraid and magnets to save the cost of the goo is a better option:) For mine, even with N22 rubber tyres on air rims, we are achieving unrealistically fast lap times. Makes racing side by side on tight ish 16-20m home tracks quite difficult. The little bit of sliding with urethane's slows the pace a bit, makes for closer racing, and really, what does lap time matter if all are on the same tyre?

"The American term is IROC Racing - not sure what the acronym means"

International Race of Champions - real race series from USA

They started the series in 1974 with Porsche RSR and progressed to Chevy Camaro and Pontiac Trans Ams. The idea was top drivers came and all raced the same car which was provided by the track owner.

Seems big in the US slot car scene as well now. Not a bad idea really - is one way to even out the field and also good for new people - they can either see that they need to tune their car or become better drivers :)

cheers

David

Edited by dangermouse

Has anyone else noticed the irony of the title of this post.

Less than 4 days and there has been 3 pages and 50 posts of really good banter.

Lack of interest, I don't think so.

It's a good point, but most of the guys posting on this topic have generally contributed to the forum at various times.

Forum traffic is an issue, the lack of interest in the hobby altogether is more of a concern to me. They kind of go hand in hand.

Home & commercial race groups in Sydney are all struggling to attract new members. One commercial centre is rumoured to be closing this year, and two others are struggling hugely.

Regularly seeing 6 racers at a midweek race meet at a commercial centre in Western Sydney on a 6 lane track.

As natural attrition occurs, guys move away, get other hobbies, demanding wives etc, replacing them is becoming increasingly difficult.

I have also tried to harness motorsport fans of family & friends into slot cars , with very limited success.

Maybe using FBook and other social media to at least promote the forum and race groups is the way to go?

Maybe using FBook and other social media to at least promote the forum and race groups is the way to go?

Do not forget the attraction of food, or the use of strong-arm tactics, and insinuations of fear of losing..... badly..... The male ego needs poking :)

We did get a couple of our members late 2018, initially through our little used club FB page - not even the National one.

That stimulated us to copy stuff between there and the national page.

- Which itself has had value. https://www.facebook...s/NZslotracers/

We also let slide a few commercial posts from overseas small makers in Europe, especially the 3D chassis guys, as they have little other chance to appeal directly to NZ guys.

But keep it free from the likes of me posting promo stuff.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self

Mainly due to the media and outlets it,s very hard now to get new members for anything , we have a scouts hall in Clacton , i,ve been trying to get access to fo some time , to set up a slot club there thinking they are mostly young lads if we could get them started we might get some interest going .

Talking to Paul the scoutmaster at the weekend , they are thinking of closing the scouts now, lack of interest.

I must be so lucky to have a misssus that is a slot car fan, ever since she beat me with my own car at the club in 64, she has been a fan and a great competitor , saves having row's , just a shoot out with 2 Pioneer Dodge Chargers.t

• Upvote 1

I suppose we're lucky at WASCRG (Syds place) that in the last few race meets we have had 20 people turn up. A few new faces as well which always helps.

I know some don't like the numbers that high as it's makes the night a little later, but I'm all for it.

We have had a little trouble with the timing system/computer freezing the last couple of meets but I'm sure Syd will get that sorted.

Even on a quiet night there are still 12+ people which still makes for good racing.

One thing that still amazes me is that the more people you have, there still seems to be less marshalls, and it's always the same blokes too.

• Upvote 1

I suppose we're lucky at WASCRG (Syds place) that in the last few race meets we have had 20 people turn up. A few new faces as well which always helps.

I know some don't like the numbers that high as it's makes the night a little later, but I'm all for it.

We have had a little trouble with the timing system/computer freezing the last couple of meets but I'm sure Syd will get that sorted.

Even on a quiet night there are still 12+ people which still makes for good racing.

One thing that still amazes me is that the more people you have, there still seems to be less marshalls, and it's always the same blokes too.

I remember when we first started racing with WDMCRG marshalling was regimented. As the heats ran through the ones not racing had their marshalling points. You rotated around the track until it was your turn to race. The only break was when we had completed a class and if you didn’t Marshall you didn’t race. Very regimented but it was very enjoyable and no arguments or you were not coming back. The racing was pretty serious.

Matt - if we are short of marshals (usually due to a combination of eating and talking as the next heat is beginning, we just call from driver stations "hoy, marshals" they crawl into line pretty quick...

Garden City club in Christchurch does the same as that Vince.

Most of our tracks are a bit more confined space; so rotating around or past drivers stations isn't practical. But the few longer armed members are usually considerate enough to automatically take on the more challenging positions.

We have "the wing man" - young and about 6'4" who can reach 1.5 metres across a track and he is very handy.

In fact, as I think about it, all but one of our new members in the past 2 years have had big wings, so we are quite fortunate.

Usually with the numbers around 12/13 there isn't a problem but as the numbers increase and the shed becomes more crowded people seem to disappear.

We yell out for the Marshalls, they usually come pretty quick then.

I do find with the more people marshalling there can be too many arms reaching to reslot the cars.

All in all though I'd say there's a fair amount of interest in the racing at Syd's place.

Pretty sure I'm the only one who follows the forums though, how else did I learn how to beat the fastest blokes at the club :lol:

Edited by mattcrackers

Syd just needs a shot of pepper spray every now and then....... or throw one of his cars for the pooch to chew, that should distract him :lol: :lol: :lol::ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

This thread has made me look back a bit at things on here over the past few years , basically because someone said Lack of interest ?, look at the interest in this thread!!!, well that may be so but it,s the same doz or so having the discussion, where have all the others gone who had opinions .

No one hardly seem to post what they are doing , whether its club racing , building slot cars , do what i do some repainting, or new resin slot car bodies , parts, etc

Be interesting to hear from those who were always posting on here , who i enjoyed reading what ever the comments were, should there be new threads , remove some that don't seem to have anyone posting at all , let's hear from you all, even if you want to tell me to bugger of , at least your making a a contribution.

Matter of interest lads where have all the regulars gone who posted on here over the last few years, just wondering if they are still actually doing anything with slot cars at all now, i know one or two have sadly left us , but is it the end of a era , noticed this on Slotforum as well, same few people posting.

That Yngwie joker is still about, I can see him lurking below this thread - but he never shows us any pictures of his cars or club racing

[ best shot at starting a fisti-cuffs between moderators :lol: :lol: :D :D :P :P :ph34r: :ph34r: ]

The group I raced with split and started other groups and many stopped posting although still into slot cars. I think if we keep the interest going on here it will slowly pick up a bit.