Hmmm, looking back at the photo of the Kelly Racing car again, my wing is both too high and too far back...

Matt,

Excuse my ignorance on this, is the resin quite stiff that you can mold to the walls, like finger painting?

Next time you do one could you take a bit of a video or stepped photos please.

Hi Grant,

I pour around 40ml into the mold and slush it round, it is like a thickish liquid when first mixed, takes about 5 minutes to go off so you need to keep the mold moving to get an even spread of the resin over the mold.

I have found that the cooler the temperature the more evenly spread the resin is, hotter and you can get some thicker parts on the body where the resin has gone off quicker than you can work with it.

It all takes time and practice, even then sometimes you get caught out and it goes off quicker than you can work with it.

Shaynus, wing looks great, can always be shortened and the stubs made to fit so it can be fitted to the boot like most Scaley V8's, the wings on the Nissans look quite a way back anyway.

Should be able to use it at Syd's as he's allowing us to use resin bodies now in the V8 class, saves newcomers having to buy a Scalextric V8 when we only use the bodies anyway.

I've made quite a few different wings now to use as replacements on most of my cars, got the VE for your Skaiffe Commodore if you need one.

cheers

Matt

Edited by mattcrackers

I printed a body but had the issue of having no chassis to go with it. drew it in FreeCAD and have subsequently printed it.

image1.jpegimage0.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Thanks Matt, I really have to have a crack at resin casting.

On DM's advice I had a look at some youtube vids and it seems a lot easier than I anticipated.

After having a quick search on the net it seems like it could be quite expensive, especially seeing how much silicon you used for your mold.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

Hi ZeGas.

Yes I thought process used a lot of product. Do not know how dear it is where you are but 500gms of Pinksil in NZ is over $50. I have had some product for several years that stands unused. My thought was to make container as small as possible and do a rough plaster or similar cast first then use the silicone for the final rendition. No idea whether this will work but I intend to give it a try. Virus time might need the push I need.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Hi Matt. Look forward to seeing your silicone product finished. It looks great. How heavy was the finished body. I presume you did a male and female mould.

PS do you have to use a release agent?

Edited by charlesx

Nice work on the printed car Bingo, looks great, did you print the chassis?

Chas, the silicon mold can be seen in post #15, and no I don't use any release agents.

I only do the one mold as I use the slush cast method.

When one of our fellow racers first tried casting a resin V8 he used the male/female mold method, came up nice but he was having troubles with air bubbles in the finished product.

I made a mold with a mate and I tried the slush cast method myself using the Easy Cast resin, took 2 minutes to slush, and half an hour later I had de-molded and had a resin body(we were keen to see how it came out), usually wait overnight now.

I now use Procast for bodies and Easy cast for smaller pieces.

In a way I'm lucky as 3 of us from racing have joined forces so to speak and we all contribute to the Silicon, resin, Urethane, etc.

The silicon mold I used for the Nissan used the 500ml (2 x 250ml bottles) for the mold, $50 worth of product.

You need to use enough silicon so the mold is sturdy enough, otherwise the mold could warp etc and the finished product would be crap.

If you sell a couple of bodies your mold has paid for itself.

And once you start the possibilities are endless, bodies, people, inserts, scenery, wings, mirrors etc etc.

Sure it takes a little time to get the hang of it, especially the trickier shapes but it's so good to be able to make your own when you need it.

Lucky for me the shop that sells the resin/silicon etc is a 2 min drive away and is open 6 days a week.

I'm only a resin rookie, and have picked it up quite quick, it really is that easy.

Matt

Edited by mattcrackers

Thanks Matt.

Yes I hope to finally try if my materials have not gone off. Working on body to mould off. Thanks for the up-date on materials. Not sure whether those ones are available in NZ.

Had a go at making paper mache body but had to take off mould to get around mirrors. When I tried next layer it deformed rather badly. Resin looks like it is a good bet.

Presume you keep an I on Trademe NZ. There have been a lot of Lotus 16's over last few months.

Hi Chas,

No I haven’t been keeping an eye on any sales sights really, a mate from racing sent me a link to a Lotus 16 set with it ending in 30 mins, had a quick look and bid my max.

Not that I need any more sets but I did want a set in better condition than the Australian set I already had.

Composite Warehouse mate.

Apparently they're open but you have to ring through beforehand and they will have your order ready for you when you get there.

No cash sales atm.

www.compositeswarehouse.com.au

Edited by mattcrackers

20200428-165017.jpg

20200428-165036.jpg

20200428-165102.jpg

20200428-165110.jpg

I think this mkII version looks a bit better height. Still a bit too far rearwards do you think?

Edited by Shaynus

G'day Shaynus.

Yeah mate still looks a little far back.

Are you working off a certain picture/file?

Only asking as most of the Nissan Supercars I've looked at have different looking wings.

Some are closer to the boot others further away.

Looking great either way mate, cheers

Matt

Loosely (very loosely!) based on the picture you posted earlier in this thread of the JD Kelly Racing Altima.

I've based this one off another wing I had already done, so the working planes in the drawing are a bit weird for this design, hence the fact it's still further back than I anticipated.

I'm sure mkIII will be closer!

If you have any preference, or different styles you want me to have a crack at, let me know

Het Matt, would this do.

20200430162142-d9bac44d-me.jpg

20200430162110-be329ae4-me.jpg

20200430162213-18a5edd2-me.jpg

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

Not a bad wing there Grant.

Although I would like to see the ends of the wing square, similar to the picture I posted earlier.

Probably easier to see here.

49836078093_335bd0e902_z_d.jpg

I've looked at a few pictures on the net of the Nissan, and like I said earlier they do vary over the different seasons.

Any wing I can get my hands on that is close enough will still need to be cleaned up and ready for molding.

Always easy enough to remove the end plates and make something more like the above pic.

cheers for the help Grant and Shaynus.

Edited by mattcrackers

None at the moment Rosco, waiting on fellow Auslot members to make me a wing :lol: .

No rush at the moment though ,got a few different projects on the go and still need to order some decals to see how the car will come up.

cheers

Matt

Thanks very much for the wings Shaynus.

Received them last night from Dave.

Look great in the flesh.

Thanks again

Matt

No drama at all Matt. Some different variations, some broken! Be careful cleaning up the 'uprights' as layers can separate due to the orientation they were printed.

Looking forward to seeing the moulded version

Matt,

Did you need to use a release agent with either creating the silicon mold or casting the resin.

Edited by ZeGas

Cheers Grant