Nsr F1 ( Weapon )

14 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Gunn

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:51 PM

Boy oh boy what a weapon this car will be received my silver one yesterday so had a chance to give it a good run, so let's start with the actual car out of the box.
As you would expect this is a quality bit of kit nice looking body perfectly straight and held to the chassis with 2 mounting screws, driver looks to be a good scale , the chassis is a nice bit of kit as well fairly flexible and once you fit the front axle grub screws in ( the little packet was under the box ) nice solid even front , wheels look to be a new type with 3mm grubs screws , very nice inserts can cover quite a few liveries i imagine, the rear tyres are supergrip, and they do grip very well on Carrera track indeed.
Turning to the motor it,s called a King 21 evo professional motor long can , i,m not up on NSR motors others may know more about this motor, nice meshing gears think they are 10 to 32 but not to sure on that , nice machined brass tube spacers on the rear axle.
On the track well there is a small magnet in front of the motor which i took out as i don't use them, after a few running in laps to settle everything down i got down to some serious testing , firstly this is a real weapon fast , very fast great brakes and acceleration, and the handling well i tried to overdrive it and still have not rolled it , just spins out if your silly with it .
Does look the part on the track and so stable , can see there being many liveries on this body shape, my overall thoughts are NSR have a winner here , best rtr F1 car i,ve ever driven from the box, and i,m not a lover of F1 these days.

#2 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 04:33 AM

We haven't had ours on track yet, I just wish they had put the baby king in it, as I suspect for our smallish size wood tracks in the shakey isles, it may be prone to self-destruction at the speeds a full king can propel it - when the "red mist" sets in on race nights.
So looking forward to hearing from some guys what they are doing for club racing with these, and what the mortality rate is on noses and rear wings
For smaller tracks I could almost see old motors like Ninco NC5 or 6, VMG motors etc being tosses into these with say 2.7:1 gearing
Slots addict 1st class * Classic quote for 2019 "whaa whaa whoo, where is I " * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club Website

#3 Caddo

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:13 AM

The NSR blurb mentions the front and rear wings are designed to be highly impact resistant.

Not having one yet, are they detachable, pliable or just very sturdy like a normal NSR car?

re the motor, agree a King motor is going to be hard to control on our tracks at 12V too, we will probably just reduce track voltage and keep the cars stock.

#4 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:24 AM

Hi all.

Got mine 2 days ago and after fitting supplied front axle grubs screws and giving rear tyres a spin in water it goes great on wood basically straight out of box. A pair of M3 grubs are supplied as well either for back axle or front wing but these are still in packet at this stage.

Tyres by my standards were relatively true and I was able to spin up in water with little if any vibration. Gluing and truing is apparently recommended but this may not be necessary on plastic track Peter.

Have only done half a dozen laps as we do not currently have a class for them but already as fast as standard Slot-it Group C and should at least be competitive with our modified Slot-it GP cars once sorted which are about 0.2-0.3 secs faster.

Car was extremely well behaved and motor did not seem too much for 20m Green Acres track. Will be interested to see how it goes with further development/fettling. Potentially I see it possibly giving the NSR Mosler a bit of a scare. Car was run at about 12.3 volts.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx, 09 February 2020 - 11:25 AM.

#5 Caddo

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:57 PM

guys, what do they weigh out of the box? looks like there's plenty of room to add weight to the chassis either side of the motor?

#6 Peter Gunn

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:23 PM

The body is pretty strong all the black parts seem to be impact resilient form of plastic pretty flexible, not detachable , weight was 74.2 gr out of the box , mine is now 80. 6 gr added weight along the pod and in the nose, tyres are not trued and glued ( yet ) as they seem remarkably round for NSR,and stay planted on the hub , the more laps you do the faster it gets , that is a very stable car indeed.

#7 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:34 AM

Hi Caddo. It might go better with weight but why bother when it is already so good. Weight to my mind should be last resort or only added when car fully sorted.

Agree with your comments Peter. This is the best NSR OTB I have come across.

Regards Chas Le Breton

#8 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:28 AM

HI Peter, Caddo and all. After one initial run with car I am pondering where to go next. Car is near perfect OTB but can no doubt be improved if you want. Has anybody tried the M2.5/3 grub screws in front wing or back axle. Also gluing the tyres. Latter appear so true I am scared to touch them.

Regards Chas Le Breton

#9 Peter Gunn

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:46 AM

Couple of pictures of the car added some Allslot merc decals, not the right period , but i wanted to break the silver up a bit, also since these pictures have painted driver silver with a red helmet.
Car is running with the larger deeper NSR guide and double flange ballraces on the rear axle, on the track this car is now well run in and giving my modified Thunderslot can am cars a run for their money.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:25 PM

Hi Peter. Nice decorating job there. Well done. Nelson, NZ are having there first NSR GP meeting this Sunday.

See rules below.

Regards Chas Le Breton

NSR F1 Car Rules

Any NSR ’86-’89 F1 cars may be used

General
NSR F1 Cars must be complete with the appropriate visible details, driver, wings, inserts, scoops etc….
Only the KING EVO3 21.4k motor may be used, motor may be glued and or screwed into factory position
All cars must use NSR F1 gears 10-27
A minimum ground clearance of .5mm is required for all entries, including chassis, gears, and bodywork
Bodies, driver/interiors and chassis must remain complete
Maximum weight of each car is 90gms, during and after each race
No other modifications and/or tweaks are permitted other than what is listed below

Chassis
Stock NSR F1 factory NSR chassis (black) only
Magnet and its holder must remain intact
Axles and spacers must be NSR items
Axle bushes may be glued to the motor pod
NSR 4860 axle stopper may be fitted to increase gear durability
NSR spring kits are permitted
Front axle position may be adjusted using the factory screw holes
Stock NSR F1 factory NSR motor pod (red) only
Stock NSR F1 clip in guide must be used
Ballast may be fitted to the motor pod, chassis and or body but must remain inside the car so that it can’t be touched when marshalling the car
Screws may be loosened for better performance
Sticky tape may be fitted to the motor pod and chassis to dampen movement

Wheels/Tires
All rims and tires must be NSR F1 items - ie: the same width and diameter as what comes with the car

Tires may be glue and trued
Front tyres may be coned and or coated to reduce friction as long as the coating is clear, solid and stable
All 4 tyres must have the NSR logo on at least one side
All wheels must have NSR F1 inserts fitted, inserts may be narrowed but must look complete when in place
Maximum width across front and rear axles is 67.5mm

#11 Peter Gunn

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:21 PM

Will look out for the results from Nelson , hopefully with a couple of pictures, have driven mine on both my home plastic and now my friends 4 lane wood track at Stanstead , he has the yellow one in standard form , i had a big advantage as mine is well sorted as regards scrubbed tyres which so far i have not trued and glued , does not seem to need them , and much smoother again due to the running of it .
One thing i did notice driving his car is the way they really run it , again no magnet in it but i ran his for 30 minutes at racing speeds while he was away for a while and by the time i finished the car was nearly 2 seconds faster per lap on his 65 foot circuit on one of the middle lanes, which shows there is a lot more to come from the standard set up.

#12 Peter Gunn

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 05:00 PM

The final countdown is that the car is finished as far as i,m concerned , did have a suggestion or two of a few more decals, so that i have done , and i think the suggestions were right, driver looks much better painted , interested to see the drivers in the liveried cars that are bound to come out soon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:19 PM

You've done an awesome job on that car Peter - looks fantastic and well I think NSR are going to make a killing with these cars especially with the large number of available liveries.

Hopefully one day I'll get to race one on a track :)

#14 Pepsi62

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:01 AM

These look great, can't wait to get one and hopefully we can run them as a class

#15 mus-28

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:43 AM

Brilliant job.

It would be interesting to see sales numbers of these cars and the Pioneer Legends, both seem to be a huge hit worldwide.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users