2020 Touring Car Proxy

Sports Racer

The 2020 Touring Car Proxy is open for entries. Cars will be raced for 12 rounds on Canberra based tracks so I can make sure there will be a round every 2 weeks. It also keeps costs down - entry fee will be whatever the cost is to ship your car back + a couple of dollars to cover the cost of trophies.

It's open to any post 1990 touring car and you can pretty much build or use whatever chassis you want.

For the past few years this proxy was run from the Slot Car Illustrated forum. There's heaps of info there if you want to see previous cars and videos of the races. http://www.slotcaril...ar-championship

We'll start racing in May or June (edit - later in the year due to the Covid-19 virus) so that I can have everyone's car back to them before Christmas. That's more than enough time to check all the old posts for tips on what works and what doesn't and to build a car that won't be at the slow end of the field.

I'm a great believer on using proxies to learn how to build a better car so at the end of this one I will take the body off the top 10 cars to take pictures and show everyone what makes them tick.

Here are the rules.

Rule Number One:

Any modification not specifically detailed below needs to be discussed.

1. Body

1.1: Any Injection molded or resin bodied car from the approved list that is marketed as a 1/32 scale Ready-to-Run (RTR) slot car. No vacuum formed or blow molded bodies.

Max width 63mm.

Cars must be from 1990 or later, no cars from the 80's or earlier.

Approved List, let me know if I've left a car out.

Any BTCC car

Any DTM car

Alfa 156 GTA

Alfa 155

Audi A4 DTM

Audi A5 DTM

Audi TT DTM

BMW 1, 3 or 4 Series

Fiat Punto

Ford Focus

Ford Falcon

Holden Commodore

Honda Accord

Honda Civic Type-R

Hyundai Accent

Mercedes C-class DTM

Mercedes CLK DTM

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

Opel Astra

Opel Vectra

Opel V8 DTM Coupe

Opel Calibra

Peugeot 406 Coupe (not Silhouette)

Renault Clio

Renault Megane

SEAT Leon

Subaru Imprezza WRX

Volvo S60R

VW Passat

1.2: Chassis - No restrictions.

Body screws should be taped or covered in bluetak to prevent loss. External body parts - mirrors, wipers, wings - though desirable are not required.

1.3: Guide may not project beyond the body as viewed from directly above. Tracks will be routed wood or Scalextric Sport so if you're running a deep guide make sure it works on the Sports tracks which are 6 mm deep. A Slot.it wood guide works on Scalextric Sport track so 7mm deep guides are ok.

1.4: Cars must have sufficient ground clearance to permit free running without contacting the track. Cars which drag on the track may be excluded at the track owners’ discretion.

1.5: Clear window material must be used where the real car has clear material.

1.6: Racing numbers must be visible in three places on body. Racing numbers must match. Bodies may be painted in fantasy or realistic liveries. Non-decorated cars (for example plain white kits) are not allowed. Duplicate numbers are allowed but if everyone enters the red #7 Slot.it Alfa 155 I’m going to be reaching for the spray can.

1.7: Headlights and tail lights are required, but are not required to actually illuminate.

1.8: Interior must include, at minimum, dashboard top, driver, steering wheel and shelf under the rear window. If vacuum formed, must be of reasonable detail and proportion. Champion style and paper drivers are not permitted.

1.9: No weight limits.

1.10: Bodies may be lightened provided there are no external changes and wheel arch openings remain standard.

2. Wheels and Tires

2.1: Tires may not project beyond the body when the car is at rest on a level track, as viewed from directly above.

2.2: Reasonable scale appearing inserts are required in all wheels, unless the wheels have scale appearance and detail. Blank disc wheels must be covered with inserts.

2.3: Wheels must look like they were used on the 1:1 car. No F1 rims or 12 mm (dia) wheels unless the original car raced with small wheels.

2.4: Front tire diameter must be within 2mm of rear tire diameter.

2.5: Minimum front tire width is 8mm. Front tires may be profiled so that a narrower area contacts the track, but must otherwise be full width.

2.6: Tires must be urethane or rubber. Silicon and foam tires are forbidden. Tires must appear to be black. Clear finish may be applied to front tire tread area. No chemical treatment (such as oil soaking) is permitted.

3. Motors

3.1: Any commercially available sealed-can FC-130 slot car motor that produces less than 23.5K rpm at 12 Volts is allowed. FK-180 are allowed but limited to 21.5K rpm. No rewinds or "mod motors" allowed.

3.2: Magnetic down force from motor may not exceed 30 grams as checked with a Magnet Marshal, exclusive of car weight.

3.3: Motor can be glued/taped/screwed in place. Pods can be taped or glued to restrict movement.

4. Modifications

4.1: Any part of the car may be replaced by any manufacturer’s parts. All wheel drive may be used only if the actual car used it.

4.2: Weight/ballast can be added but must be contained on the inside of the car.

4.3: Spring and magnetic suspension packages are allowed.

4.4: No traction magnets allowed.

4.5: Bushings and motor can be glued into place.

5. Vehicle Identification

5.1: Entrant’s name and body screw adjustment information should be affixed to the underside of the chassis in a readable manner.

6. Penalties

6.1: non-compliant mechanical and car set up issues including wheels/tyres at scrutineering - 5 points

6.2: repair of mechanical failure deemed not to be caused primarily by accident damage - 5 points. A grub screw coming loose is not a mechanical failure and won't be penalised.

6.3: car not run due to hosts discretion because of clearance issues - no points will be awarded for that round. Car owner has the option to replace tyres or park the car.

6.4: For all other non-specified events requiring vehicle work the penalty, if any, will be based on a principle of reasonable fairness to all entrants at sole discretion and decision of the organizers

Cars to be posted by Monday 20 July 2020

I think that covers everything. Let me know if I've missed anything.

Thanks

Paul

Entries

32coupe ............................. Mercedes AMG C Coupe ...............................  car received

Aloha ................................. BMW M3 .............................. paid ...................  car received

ALS .................................... Renault Clio .....................................................  car received

Alvaro ................................ Audi A5 ............................................................  car received

ArroldN .............................. Alfa ....................................... paid ..................  car received

Bov ..................................... Peugeot Coupe .................... paid ..................  car received

Brumos RSR ...................... Renault Clio .......................... paid ..................  car received

curef99 .............................. Renault Megane ................... paid ................... car received

Dave P ............................... Audi A5 .............................................................  car received

jimmyslots 1950 …………….. Renault Megane ................... paid .................... car received

lancelot .............................. BMW M3 .............................. paid ...................  car received

Pepsi62 ............................. MG ......................................... paid ...................  car received

Peter Gunn ........................ Mercedes AMG C Coupe ..... paid ...................  car received

reek455 ............................. Mercedes CLK ...................... paid 

Shaynus ............................. Alfa ....................................... paid ...................  car received

Sports Racer ..................... Calibra .................................. paid ...................  car received

sticks ................................. Mercedes ............................. paid .................... car received

Supercharged ................... BMW M3 ...........................................................  car received

Edited by Sports Racer

May the downforce be with you.

Hi Sports Racer.

After two proxies I was thinking of retiring Holden Commodore but on pulling apart I saw chassis was almost falling in half. Perhaps why car went so terribly when it returned.

Just a glue failure so easily fixed but as I played about could see some small areas where car could be improved. Also elated next event to be held solely in Canberra. After the frustrations of last year that sounded very promising.

Will therefore be entering for 2020 event. Have already fitted N22 Slot-it rubber tyres so hope they will last distance. The urethanes used for the last two proxies still appeared fine but time for a change.

See you on the starting grid. See cost of entry is return postage. Not sure what this was but thought below $20 so it $20 OK.

Regards Chas Le Breton

JS chassis design do an improved chassis for them and I recommend scrapping the original chassis unless you want to finish midfield.

85101310_627159564765018_5068317333496266752_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQnLVyUfTYN_z1x_ArOGzcYQAJgSgtdeQigOAkXTWuquPNfea52vSbTPGs7E-a3OK78&_nc_ht=scontent.fsyd6-1.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=7a464bfffba8ad9f9088a05774f1b9ba&oe=5EFEF7C7

85169039_627159584765016_6304610196337459200_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQnzE3OApdLT41G6DTLFruW0x3tlPXrqKJOh-Ks6su9Q8SDwb7LtoIeaQXg-TooL1vE&_nc_ht=scontent.fsyd6-1.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=343e308c2b06432c35112d654507106d&oe=5EBA8BB2

It would be interesting to have one of their chassis's in this proxy. They can be found on Facebook.

Or you could prove me wrong and build something seriously good based on the original chassis but remember - it has to compete against cars with NSR, Slot.it or Plaffit running gear (or even scratch built). My car will probably have the old Scaleauto Toyota GT1 chassis under an SCX or Carrera DTM.

Here's the top 3 cars from last year.

b_215621.jpg

b_215635.jpg

b_165949.jpg

b_165958.jpg

b_170011.jpg

b_170019.jpg

I don't have pictures of what they look like inside because the cars finished the proxy in America. That changes this year so at the end of the proxy I'll take the bodies off and post pictures and comments on what makes them tick.

Cheers

Paul

Well my entry is all finished not sure if it,s much better than last time i sent it, decided not to use urethane's , would have preferred to but don't think they will be as competitive as NSR Ultras, which might struggle a bit racing over 12 tracks, wear rate is pretty impressive , only thing not quite sure on is the motor been testing 4 , 2 long can's and 2 S can's

MercedesDTM.jpg

Just a question anyone can answer please , as were racing on i think 12 wood tracks and last time we held this proxy we were ALL using urethane tyres , and as i have been told here running rubber and urethane together on wood is not a great idea( because of contamination) which is the road were going down this time, what is the best tyre to use

JS chassis design do an improved chassis for them and I recommend scrapping the original chassis unless you want to finish midfield.

if you buy a chassis, ask for the improve material... the one on the picture does not resist weather forecast above 30C which do happen in Oz... i had to scrap 3 chassis i bought last year and which are now all wobbly! the new one resist the heat and are stronger. I have a laguna scalex which work great.

Just a question anyone can answer please , as were racing on i think 12 wood tracks and last time we held this proxy we were ALL using urethane tyres , and as i have been told here running rubber and urethane together on wood is not a great idea( because of contamination) which is the road were going down this time, what is the best tyre to use

you can have both on track but it is not great... the rubber nicely clean are better by design on wood than the urethane but there are 2 massive draw back:

1/they struggle on abrasive surface and sometime do not make the end of the proxy

2/if the driver come off once, he will take all the dust on the side of the track.

my view, urethane is easier to manage for a proxy.

I have a 3DP printed chassis and inline pod off thingiverse under my MG6, with standard Scalextric motor, I will swap the motor out to a slot it orange bell or Piranha, maybe a 20k SRP,

I have a bunch off JS chassis that I have used under various cars, Nascar, IL and AW options, IL Torana which I am sending to ATCC proxy, Revell Cortina which I am sending to the U2litre Trans Am proxy on HRW, V8 supercar ones Camaro...……. Love them they are very well made and fit great, you do need to glue the rear bushes and motor in (which is normal anyway). highly recommend them

I bought a WRX just because yours was so quick.

As for tyres, I'll put some NSR's on a car and test it over the next few weeks on the tracks we race on and let you know how it goes. We used to race with Slot.it F22's but over the past few years the urethane tyres have worked better.

I bought a WRX just because yours was so quick.

As for tyres, I'll put some NSR's on a car and test it over the next few weeks on the tracks we race on and let you know how it goes. We used to race with Slot.it F22's but over the past few years the urethane tyres have worked better.

That's hilarious!!! I literally made it quicker days after it returned and sold it a few months later it was a great handling car. I expect the Clio to be a handful.