2020 Touring Car Proxy

Sports Racer

Hi Sports Racer and all.

I hear what you are saying but with all due respect I think people sometimes overdrive cars. I appreciate drivers try to do their best for entrants but I have noticed sometimes the comments are inconsistent with the cars known characteristics.

I normally try to send a reliable and easily controlled car but this year I am thinking of pushing the envelope. If I find car unmanageable though I will depower. My Scaly based car is a bit of an unknown quantity.

Will be interesting to see reports of other peoples builds. There has not been much to date.

Regards Chas Le Breton

I entered a Merc DTM last time , was not up with the fast boys who had built super rockets , but Sports Racer and myself had quite a interesting series for basically the best of the rest , and the comments about both our cars were , smooth, great handling , lacked top end speed, and i noticed from the vids easy to drive as they did not deslot.

That's that basis i have always build proxy cars like that, coming from the land of plastic tracks it,s guess work what works on wood tracks , but i have found smooth works well for any proxy driver driving it.

Hi everyone

I've never done proxy racing before but I'm keen to give it a go. I'll hopefully be entering a Fly Alfa Romeo 156 with a slotting plus chassis and MJK tyres. I say hopefully because I've ordered the car from overseas so I hope it gets here in time. I'm in Canberra so hopefully my track will be one of the ones we race on.

Regards

Dave

Welcome back Jimmy, looking forward to beating you this time with my Calibra.

Dave, if you can get the Alfa lapping anywhere as quick as your NSR you should be at the pointy end of the field. Postage from Nth Canberra to Braidwood might be a problem though. :D

May the downforce be with you.

Hi Sports Racer.

The re-build of my Supeercheap Holden V8 is now progressing well. I suddenly realised time was getting short. With any luck I will have it running tomorrow night. Such a radical up-grade from a fairly standard Scaly so no idea how it will go. Will post some photos in next couple of days.

Another question on tyres though. Have decided to stick with urethane  - either PG, MJK or Super/Yellow dog.  Am restricted in size though because of narrow rear track of car. A question though you may be able to answer - have found amongst my stock pile a packet of Super 1407C - 0.796" wide. Are these urethane???

Kindly advise if you can asap. No idea when I bought them so do not have a clue myself. Otherwise MJK 4219 are my most likely  choice as I have used these on many of my rally cars.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Sorry Sports Racer. Fprget my request. 1407C Super tyres were too small diameter. Will have to use a second hand pair of MJK4257 - off my 2018 WRP car.  I have quite often repurposed MJK tyres off my rally cars

I will get there in the end. This harder than expected.

Is it ok to use "non OEM" rear wings, as long as they look the part? I have an Audi DTM car I'm thinking of using, but it's missing a rear wing, so I'll need to make / adapt/ print one, if allowed. I can post a photo when done for final approval if you like?

If not, I do have an Opel I can use instead

1st round will be when all the cars arrive. Normally I'd allow 3 weeks but there's still a few countries that are restricting postage so the start date is currently up in the air. Hopefully we'll know more as we get closer to July 20.

Non OEM parts are ok as long as the end result looks something like the original car and not some frankenstein version. Length/width must remain original - no modifying the arches to fit wider wheels.

May the downforce be with you.

Hi Sports racer. Good progress today so will run tonight for first time. MJK 4257 tyres not perfect but look ok and just fit relatively narrow width of car. 58mm. Axle/wheel/tyre width about 57mm so all very tight.

Will attach a couple of progress photos shortly.. Still a bit to do - mainly minor tuning. Also refitting interior and rear wheel inserts.

Holden-upgrade-1.jpg

Holden-upgrade-2.jpg

Edited by charlesx

Hi all.

First run very successful.. Car very smooth but a bit loose probably due to narrow MJK tyres. Did not otherwise seem to have any handling problems even though I had the pod screwed up fairly tight.. All other cars had either Slot-it N22 or wide NSR .

Keen now to try on my own track probably tomorrow.

Holden-Trent.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What is the maximum rear tire width? I know it said must be realistic. Just need to know what is realistic. Currently the car is stock with Slot.it 15 x 8 rear wheels. 1404 Yellow Dogs. Would a 15 x10 or 15 x11 be realistic? Tires on Roskos Merc look pretty wide to me.

MOPAR or NOCAR YES IT'S A HEMI