Forum Use And Benefits

SlotsNZ

I am sure we had a topic on this somewhere before, but I can't find it.

We discussed the drop off in activity here, and on forums around the world, and the various merits of forums v. Facebook and Instagram in particular.

The issue of difficulty posting pics was a contributing factor to the decline after Photo Bucket did their pay or die thing, but we seem to have found solutions to that.

What I have noticed in the past year, is that this seems to have stabilised - everywhere, and we have had 14 active threads here over the past week. (15 with this)

Topics being Club Racing (HBMRC being the main "offenders" - we love our online banter); Racing Events, Proxies, new products and questions.

The forum is still the simplest place to access a huge database of useful information, and to "Signpost" all kinds of events, & catalogue products and reviews.

Personally i have seen how much it has benefited our local club over the years, as not everyone uses Facebook - especially some mature members :)

If we could just get a few more guys here throwing up a thread each week on a new car purchase, a scratch build, NEW TRACKS and/or scenery;

Questions about how-tos, and what they are up to in clubs around the country, events they have run locally, we would have this place buzzing again.

Sharing ideas is so helpful to others, things like fundraisers, fairs & parties, that might give an idea to others to do something.

I know a lot of stuff happening in NZ, but a lot of those guys aren't on forum - I'll be working on that as well.

I could throw up a lot myself, but I only have so much time I can devote to slots a day.

There must be 10 times that amount of stuff happening n OZ.

Brand/model racing events, championships, all the home build stuff for sale, what guys are doing with 3D printing..... which is amazing.

If people have something they REALLY want to share, but no way to post pictures, message me, I'll do a one-off and host them on my server and message you the links to add the pics.

And just to tantilise you with an example

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3D printing at home - one of the clever bunnies at our local club - a guide repair piece

scalex1.jpgscalex2.jpg

Knocking up a chassis while we race

http://youtu.be/97g4PQkDwPA

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

I agree Mark we need more content. Especially on track builds and car builds and tips.

I’m doing my bit. I just counted 19 picture heavy posts Ive made from September last year on a track build and 2 new digital products.

If you buy a new car take a few pics and write a little report. Perhaps your likings and dislikes on your new model. How it drives, the finish and detail etc.

Of you plan to build a track perhaps draw it up and post it up for comments.

If you install a new lap counting system maybe show everyone the stages and pros and cons.

It all adds interest and keeps us coming back.

What could you contribute this week or next?

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter
  • Upvote 1

3 stooges, 2 apologists and 1 deep endless mess.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

I visit five forums everyday - something I do when having my breakfast and then usually when I want unwind at the end of the day. Catch up on news, see what people are up to etc. The forum traffic on here compared to other forums has dropped off. My own posts to this forum have dropped off as well.

For me the issues with Photo hosting have been the main problem - when it became a challenge I stopped posting my builds because 1. it is a lot easier on Facebook I can take a photo in the app and drop it straight into my post and 2. a couple of the other forums I post to offer direct upload of photos now and 3. Sometimes when you post something to a couple of forums and you get a good response on one or two of them and little or nothing on another so then next time you think twice about posting to that forum particularly if it is an effort to post compared to the others.

I don't post for people to pat me on the back I post to share. I get inspiration and ideas from other people's post so I hope that other might get the same from mine or I might get ideas back to improve my work. For example I built up six 1/24 Grand Prix cars - posted them up on Fb and some forums and ended up in a good conversation with another chap about wheels, chassis and inserts think that was helpful for both of us.

Guess I will fish out my photos of the GP cars find somewhere to host them and upload the builds in case someone is interested.

cheers

DM

• Upvote 2

A trick to try DM - Post to another forum which hosts photos directly, then copy/paste the entire post to here - In most cases, the picture URL linked is not forum locked, so they will show up here okay, though hosted there.

I only know of one forum where that doesn't work. That way different audiences all get the benefit of your efforts to show what you have done, and you only have to do the entire posting task once.

They are your pics and content, so it isn't like you are "stealing" pics or anything...

I stand ready and waiting to purloin your skills and creativity :)

• Upvote 1

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

They are your pics and content, so it isn't like you are "stealing" pics or anything...

Hmmm, may not be stealing pics, but might be stealing the host's broadband capacity.

:huh:

I don't think any ISPs are even counting or measuring that anymore.