Slot car Proxy WRP International slot car event

56 replies to this topic

#41 Ontheflipside

IQ test result - Negative :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:16 PM

All cars and trophies have now been posted. My local post office keeps telling me that anything going by air will take a lot longer due to less planes flying around the world at present.
Thank you to those who have let me know that their cars have arrived,
Posted ImageCurrently working on options and rules for this year. Will the Corona-virus have an impact when we can start? I'm considered a high risk so I'm a bit house bound
I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

#42 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:40 AM

No problem Ontheflipside/Mel. You and your families safety is far more important than our little cars. Sure I can find another to play with. My wife always says I have too many particularly when I add to collection.

Even if in transit it now seems unlikely package will get delivered but if by normal post perhaps. Couriers I believe are only allowed to deliver essential supplies at least in NZ. I have a new TV coming for my new SC track timing display. Dispatched last week but probably in storage somewhere. My eldest son had also bought and paid a lot for roofing material for a new pergola and has been told they are unable deliver.

When you feel up to it though I and other stalwarts would be happy to comment or make suggestions on any possible plans you have for WRP 2020/2021. Perhaps you could consider talking to Tassy Phil and about combining with a reinstated OZ Rally. Both are great events. Alternatively perhaps both can borrow from each other to the betterment of all. One problem with the WRP that I would like addressed is timeliness between events and the nature of tracks used. In my opinion there seems to be an increasing use of road like courses. Appreciate OZ Rally is only run in Aussie but a NZ section not ruled out. This has worked well in reverse for several for several road events for 7-8 years or more.

Keep well and safe. Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Just for the record I have finally built a rally sprint track and have a straight rally track underway. Also have basic plan and materials for a hill climb as well having just completed a small conventional 3 lane wood track. Previously I have only had a small Scaly track on which to trial and tune my cars although as I have said before I do have a half share in my brother's.

My plan for the last couple of years has been to provide for a round in New Plymouth for the OZ or WRP rallies or both. My earlier effort was not up to standard so I scrapped. I now feel I am on the cusp of achieving my goal. I will provide photos of my efforts as I progress. You will be aware there are a coupe of other tracks at least that are suitable for a NZ section. Munter track in the Hawkes Bay would be high on the list and I know Branco and Aquakiwi have talked of holding a round previously.

#43 Peter Gunn

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:57 PM

Big problem charles is no one seems to building new rally tracks as rally slot cars are not as popular as they were 3 4 years ago when we had quite large numbers entering the WRP and Oz , over here there have been a couple of rally events run but again it,s the old stalwarts with the old cars doing it.
As regards the future of anything , if you cut through all the media hype and guess work about the virus and listen to the real experts it would seem the so called peak here could be round about May /June and may stay like that ( similar to Italy ) for a further 4 weeks which takes us up to end of July, before it may start to run down, then we could have a second wave as any vaccine won't be ready in reality until the end of the year at the earliest , so that will take out all of 2020.
Most important thing this year for all will be getting through all of this where ever you are by taking notice of only those giving the official line as there is to much speculation from this ex expert , that one and as i,ve mentioned the media, and even the official experts may be wrong , but we have to trust that they are not.
So time lads and lassies to dig out all those projects we never got round to doing and hunker down.

#44 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:57 PM

Fair enough Peter Gunn/Keith but I had heard Italy was getting over hump although still bad. Spain however is still on rise. What about the UK? Agree vaccine is a long way off.

In NZ we have just reached 200 infections and no deaths; touch wood, but growing as Kiwi's return home. We are currently keeping 200,000 foreigners safe though so that raises other problems. See the land of AUS now has 12 deaths and their east coast is really bad.

We went into full lockdown this week with everybody except essential services having to stay home. Think Aussie may be following suit but I think their other restrictions still trail our own. Have to commend our government for their strong action. Big worry still is Africa where infection is starting to rise and with few resources to fight with. The USA is also a worry.

I have plenty of projects and am getting on with them. Had noticed seeming lack of UK/Europe rally tracks but thought perhaps track owners getting sick of work involved in running. WRP in earlier SCX format had up to 60 entries but was this just too many. From my experience 24 was enough work.

One of the reasons I am keen to hold NZ rally round is with Canam and Group 5 Saloons I had trouble getting others to help as I was the only one really interested in proxy racing. With rally events I can run by myself or with minimal help. Everybody to their own.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

#45 Scuderia_Turini

Team Principal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:10 PM

Hello Mel and PhilK,
Any feedback on the performance of the two Test Cars?

Leo
Posted Image Like Scuderia Turini on Facebook Please Vote Up my postings - green arrow at top right :- )

#46 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:13 AM

Hi Phil and Mel. Yes waiting for that with anticipation. Comparing with my car over series however appears better on some courses and worse on others so may not be greatest guide. Mine generally performed well or very well on rally tracks but was really bad on road courses.

Would be interesting to hear what modifications you undertook too.

Hope all is well with my Tassy cousins. NSW seems to be hit bad. All well here in NZ. Last time I looked Tassy looked considerably better than mainland so I hope this continues. East coast (NSW) appears to be getting the brunt.

Edited by charlesx, 27 March 2020 - 07:15 AM.

#47 Peter Gunn

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:28 PM

Leo if you look back through the results for the series , you will notice the special cars were on the average in the top 8 which is roughly the same as most of the top runners , Charles some of the cars started of well, and lost performance as the series went on , guessing tyres might be a factor , noticed some started the series with well scrubbed tyres so possibly ran into not enough meat on the bone so to speak so performance dropped of , my car started of quite low down and in my case i used a brand new set of tyres lightly scrubbed , knowing i would loose a bit of performance in the early rounds .
And my thoughts were right as the series got into the last third my car started to show what it could do and at the end the car had hit that sweet spot, i actually ran that car on my race circuit the other night and it is remarkably good but the tyres don't have much life left in them , definitly not enough for another series , so when ever it happens again and we use these cars , i expect my car not to be that competative at the early races as the tyres will stand the rear of the car just a little bit high like this series.
Think if i remember rightly Mondeo man was pretty consistant all the way through, nicely prepared car from start to finish.

#48 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:31 PM

Hi Peter Gunn/Keith.

My car only had tyres lightly sanded but started proxy well with a 1st and 2nd in first 3 rounds. It also finished reasonably well but was very sad in middle. Have to agree your car just got better and better. I am also sure what you say about Mondeo is spot on but I must have a look.

I am inclined to think it was just as much the characteristics of the tracks raced on. My Metro was clearly no match for your Ford RS200 on those road circuits but was OK and sometimes very good on pure rally tracks. I still ended up 7th overall so I was quite happy with that.

Have not got my car back yet (postponed as I was due to go overseas - now cancelled) but tyres have still been good previously and I have often used on other cars. I am still running my SCX Toyota on its original tyres.

I will have to wait and see my car but virus may delay deliveryI . As said previously however I am very keen to see report on trial cars Phil prepared.

Regards Chas Le Breton

#49 Splitrim

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:36 AM

Mel,

a package arrived today, now quarantined in the greenhouse, as the postie that delivered it was not wearing gloves!
I'm recovering from cancer, so can't be too careful. I'll let the UV smother the coronas.

Hope everyone is OK in these challenging times.

Simon

Whats not to like...........

#50 GAS41T

Drag Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:21 AM

Iím interested in the new rules ...
Hopefully alloy wheels is allowed as my car is still sitting with no rearend from last year ....

#51 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:34 AM

Hi Gas41T.

Still amazed that happened to your car as mine appears solid as a rock (after two WRP's) although I have not got it back yet from second. It was certainly still going well at end.

What did you do to beef up before sending. There do not appear to be many if any other failures.

During earlier SCX WRP it was recommended some sort of reinforcing be made to hubs. I used cotton soaked in resin. My SCX Toyota is still going strong several years later. In my opinion SCX cars appeared more fragile than Scaly.

Regards Charles Le Breton (charlesx)

#52 Peter Gunn

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:16 PM

With the SCX cars i entered in the WRP i wrapped thread round the hubs then spread superglue with a brush over the thread as suggested by Ember and never broke a wheel after that, nothing wrong with a SCX rally car i had great success with them , as long as you set the chicken legs up properly, and all mine are still capable of running again

#53 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:20 PM

Hi Peter Gunn/Keith.

Hear,hear. I did the same and ran 2-3 times in WRP with my Toyota and currently still use as test car fairly regularly today including trialing new wood track. Think I made same mods to my OZ rally Ninco Bowler Nemesis which ran twice without problem. Both are ready to go again if required. although Toyota may need new tyres. Followed Embers advice in both occasions.

With SCX Subaru/Scaly Ford RS200 different circumstances as allowed to fit ali wheels. I think Subaru ran 7 times without too much problem although in last event gears started to play up. Ford RS 200 is also going strong.

Sorry Peter I never said there was anything wrong with SCX just that wheels looked a bit more fragile. I think Scaly could have done without strengthening but by that stage I was used to beefing up. Only problem with SCX Toyota was if I recall correctly axles were not splined but correct me if I am wrong. Never had a wheel fall off but did glue on as insurance. Think I had a wheel fall off once on Bowler Nemesis but I do not thing I glued them on. We live and learn.

I can only assume Gas41T was unlucky with his car. None of us is completely bullet proof.

Never had any problem with chicken legs either but I think I may have soldered because previously some people did have problems. Was easy to fix.

Something I try to achieve is to run my cars as standard as possible including wheels to keep costs down. It may require more careful selection of tyres and little extra work preparing but it is worth the effort.

Hope you are keeping well and safe from virus. I am still relatively young as are you but you cannot be too careful.

Regards Charles Le Breton (charlesx)

#54 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:34 AM

Hi Peter Gunn/Keith. My WRP Metro No. 8 and trophy arrived safely this morning from West Island. Big thanks again to Mel and all his willing helpers.

After your comment about tyre wear Keith I can say mine look hardly different to when sent. Braids are getting a getting a bit tired but still OK. Could probably start next WRP tomorrow.

In regard to your comment "

the tyres don't have much life left in them" in light of above I find your wear surprising as you said they were only lightly scrubbed prior to start. Must check but was your car very heavy this year. I went the other way but I do not think it affected tyre wear as still using last years tyres on another car. From memory my OZ Rally Ford RS 200 ran for several years with same tyres. It was both heavier and much faster than my Metro.

As we all used the same tyres so I would not expect much difference but clearly not the case.

Hope you guys are keeping well and safe in the UK. After bad start good to see country getting its act together but ysee your deaths are mounting. NZ has just had its first death but overseas and other illness contributed.

Regards Chas Le Breton

#55 Peter Gunn

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 12:19 AM

Hi Charles car was heavier this year found the RS 200 although a good car to run needed a better set up to run on wood tracks , as i run on plastic here , so upped the weight to 99-1gr added a bit all round and it seemed to work, using these scaley sidewinder set up i find not a lot of meat left on the tyres looking at contrate height think less than half a mm before gear hits the track ok on flat tracks but not good on some of the rougher one's .
I ran the MSC RS200 in the OZ and found the inline set up much better for height and tyre set up , got my old OZ cars out the other day , and boy they still go well the inline Ninco 5 motor set up in my opinion is much better , and possibly i might get to use them in a proxy sometime.

#56 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:55 AM

Hi Peter/Keith.

That is a very light car although some are lighter.

My Metro was about 103gms but it was about 107 the previous year. This appears to have helped rally track performance but not road courses where tipping was main problem.

With yours as it was not weight it might have been wheel spin but cars have little clearance to start off with - about 2 to 3mm. Think my OZ Ford RS 200 over 4-5 years started at 100 but gradually increased to about 110gms. As you will recall it went pretty well. Mine was fitted with a Slimline motor though but the original motor might have been better. Slimline was a bit too revvy. I fitted the slimline to keep weight down. My Ninco Subaru was also a flyer and ended about the same as the Ford. I usually adopt 100gms as a starting point. Agree the Ninco 5 motor was great as fitted to my Subaru. I was one of the first to use as most people used the NC2. I also prefer in-line cars generally but SW are OK. AW I continue to have trouble width.

My Metro still has somewhere between 1.5 - 2mm clearance but I cannot find my feeler gauges at present. Ford may start at less but I do not recall. Interesting though that the non drive side tyre is not even worn smooth right across. By comparison metal cars start at 0.6 with foam tyres but then you do not expect them to last for several races rounds nether lone years.

#57 Splitrim

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:41 PM

Mel,
a package arrived a couple of days ago!
After the recommended period of UV quarantine, I opened it today and was pleasantly surprised to find the trophy and the screwdriver!

Many thanks for running the event again, after a quick look at the car it appears the rear tyres are fine, could probably do all rounds again. The problem is obviously the fronts re. Deslotting, they've worn quite a lot, and most of the "anti-grip" coating (nail varnish ) has worn off! There must be a better way.....

I don't remember the weight, and can't put my hand on the micro scales to check it . It obviously needs more weight towards the rear.

Oh well, you live and learn.

Stay safe everyone

Simon
Whats not to like...........

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users