Wrp 2019 (Final Delayed Jan 2020) Rnd 8 And Final

Ontheflipside

Hi Gas41T.

Still amazed that happened to your car as mine appears solid as a rock (after two WRP's) although I have not got it back yet from second. It was certainly still going well at end.

What did you do to beef up before sending. There do not appear to be many if any other failures.

During earlier SCX WRP it was recommended some sort of reinforcing be made to hubs. I used cotton soaked in resin. My SCX Toyota is still going strong several years later. In my opinion SCX cars appeared more fragile than Scaly.

Regards Charles Le Breton (charlesx)

With the SCX cars i entered in the WRP i wrapped thread round the hubs then spread superglue with a brush over the thread as suggested by Ember and never broke a wheel after that, nothing wrong with a SCX rally car i had great success with them , as long as you set the chicken legs up properly, and all mine are still capable of running again

Hi Peter Gunn/Keith.

Hear,hear. I did the same and ran 2-3 times in WRP with my Toyota and currently still use as test car fairly regularly today including trialing new wood track. Think I made same mods to my OZ rally Ninco Bowler Nemesis which ran twice without problem. Both are ready to go again if required. although Toyota may need new tyres. Followed Embers advice in both occasions.

With SCX Subaru/Scaly Ford RS200 different circumstances as allowed to fit ali wheels. I think Subaru ran 7 times without too much problem although in last event gears started to play up. Ford RS 200 is also going strong.

Sorry Peter I never said there was anything wrong with SCX just that wheels looked a bit more fragile. I think Scaly could have done without strengthening but by that stage I was used to beefing up. Only problem with SCX Toyota was if I recall correctly axles were not splined but correct me if I am wrong. Never had a wheel fall off but did glue on as insurance. Think I had a wheel fall off once on Bowler Nemesis but I do not thing I glued them on. We live and learn.

I can only assume Gas41T was unlucky with his car. None of us is completely bullet proof.

Never had any problem with chicken legs either but I think I may have soldered because previously some people did have problems. Was easy to fix.

Something I try to achieve is to run my cars as standard as possible including wheels to keep costs down. It may require more careful selection of tyres and little extra work preparing but it is worth the effort.

Hope you are keeping well and safe from virus. I am still relatively young as are you but you cannot be too careful.

Regards Charles Le Breton (charlesx)

Hi Peter Gunn/Keith. My WRP Metro No. 8 and trophy arrived safely this morning from West Island. Big thanks again to Mel and all his willing helpers.

After your comment about tyre wear Keith I can say mine look hardly different to when sent. Braids are getting a getting a bit tired but still OK. Could probably start next WRP tomorrow.

In regard to your comment "

the tyres don't have much life left in them" in light of above I find your wear surprising as you said they were only lightly scrubbed prior to start. Must check but was your car very heavy this year. I went the other way but I do not think it affected tyre wear as still using last years tyres on another car. From memory my OZ Rally Ford RS 200 ran for several years with same tyres. It was both heavier and much faster than my Metro.

As we all used the same tyres so I would not expect much difference but clearly not the case.

Hope you guys are keeping well and safe in the UK. After bad start good to see country getting its act together but ysee your deaths are mounting. NZ has just had its first death but overseas and other illness contributed.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Regards Chas Le Breton

Hi Charles car was heavier this year found the RS 200 although a good car to run needed a better set up to run on wood tracks , as i run on plastic here , so upped the weight to 99-1gr added a bit all round and it seemed to work, using these scaley sidewinder set up i find not a lot of meat left on the tyres looking at contrate height think less than half a mm before gear hits the track ok on flat tracks but not good on some of the rougher one's .

I ran the MSC RS200 in the OZ and found the inline set up much better for height and tyre set up , got my old OZ cars out the other day , and boy they still go well the inline Ninco 5 motor set up in my opinion is much better , and possibly i might get to use them in a proxy sometime.

Hi Peter/Keith.

That is a very light car although some are lighter.

My Metro was about 103gms but it was about 107 the previous year. This appears to have helped rally track performance but not road courses where tipping was main problem.

With yours as it was not weight it might have been wheel spin but cars have little clearance to start off with - about 2 to 3mm. Think my OZ Ford RS 200 over 4-5 years started at 100 but gradually increased to about 110gms. As you will recall it went pretty well. Mine was fitted with a Slimline motor though but the original motor might have been better. Slimline was a bit too revvy. I fitted the slimline to keep weight down. My Ninco Subaru was also a flyer and ended about the same as the Ford. I usually adopt 100gms as a starting point. Agree the Ninco 5 motor was great as fitted to my Subaru. I was one of the first to use as most people used the NC2. I also prefer in-line cars generally but SW are OK. AW I continue to have trouble width.

My Metro still has somewhere between 1.5 - 2mm clearance but I cannot find my feeler gauges at present. Ford may start at less but I do not recall. Interesting though that the non drive side tyre is not even worn smooth right across. By comparison metal cars start at 0.6 with foam tyres but then you do not expect them to last for several races rounds nether lone years.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Mel,

a package arrived a couple of days ago!

After the recommended period of UV quarantine, I opened it today and was pleasantly surprised to find the trophy and the screwdriver!

Many thanks for running the event again, after a quick look at the car it appears the rear tyres are fine, could probably do all rounds again. The problem is obviously the fronts re. Deslotting, they've worn quite a lot, and most of the "anti-grip" coating (nail varnish ) has worn off! There must be a better way.....

I don't remember the weight, and can't put my hand on the micro scales to check it . It obviously needs more weight towards the rear.

Oh well, you live and learn.

Stay safe everyone

Simon

Whats not to like...........

• 2 weeks later...

Well my tactic didn't work, Delta has not arrived today.

Other Brit cars arrived two or three weeks ago so I'm starting to worry. All part of Proxy Racing though so not overly concerned if it never appears - although having now been run in, it would definitely win the next series (LOL!)

Leo

Edited by Scuderia_Turini
Like_1.gifLike Scuderia Turini on Facebook Please Vote Up my postings - green arrow at top right :- )

Hi Leo,

Your car was posted on the 12/03/20

Simon (Splitrim) was posted 10/03/20

Alexis (Greece) was posted 24/03/20

Martyn (Snurfen) was posted 25/03/20

Different dates

due to delays in some trophies

I was advised by the Post Office that long delays were very likely due to less planes flying and local deliveries due to the Coronavis Pandemic

I was offered priority postage but some parcels were around $45 AU already.

Sadly, postage this year broke the bank. Think it has gone up world wide in the last 8 weeks :mellow:

Cheers All.

Hopefully in 4 weeks I will be let out the front door and onto the street

Edited by Ontheflipside

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hooray!! My Delta arrived back home just now. I don't know how Royal Mail work in the UK but I guess that mail coming to Scotland comes directly rather than via England. Perhaps this is in preparation for independence (LOL).

Couldn't resist opening the box so it was on with the disposable gloves and cutting the box open. Pleasantly surprised to find my first ever slot-car trophy !!

I don't mind repeating: huge thanks to Mel and the team for running the series and to all the hosts for giving up their time.

#StaySafe

Leo

Like_1.gifLike Scuderia Turini on Facebook Please Vote Up my postings - green arrow at top right :- )

Always great news Leo when all the cars turn up.

I don't think we have lost a car ever :rolleyes::) . The first year for us was the SCX Rally in 2009. So an excellent record.

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

• 1 month later...