For All The Greg Murphy Haters

11 replies to this topic

#1 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:52 AM

And we know there are a few across the ditch.

"Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water"

Posted Image

I remember someone [I think it was Dave aka Eno, or Dave Scriven ] relaying a story to me from Peter of
MRSlotcar/Mr Trax about 10 or 12 years back. They had a mobile track at a mall, and some young kid arrived
with a pocket full of coin and rapidly became very fast on the track. After about an hour of this Greg Murphy
wandered up and said "Let's go boy"
Slots addict 1st class * Classic quote for 2019 "whaa whaa whoo, where is I " * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club Website

#2 Garry J

Expat Cockroach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 05:56 AM

Oops, I'm not a Greg Murphy hater but I accidently read this, sorry. :unsure:
Cheers,

Garry J

Posted Image

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

#3 lenny broke

7th runner up 1978 South Australian Womp Championship

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:59 AM

Not a fan of Murph really buy don't hate him.I'm not sure if he likes me much after I held him up from leaving the support paddock at the AGP one year. we were holding traffic while all the crowd of spectators wandered back down to the F1 pits after the race. Got a bit of a frosty look as he drove by.
Now if it was one of Scaife's offsring that would be different, not because of the kid but imagine ol'bignose as a racing Dad!! :o

#4 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:31 AM

View Postlenny broke, on 12 December 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

...... Got a bit of a frosty look as he drove by.
Now if it was one of Scaife's offsring that would be different, not because of the kid but imagine ol'bignose as a racing Dad!! :o

I think it is champion seeing Skaife and Ingle commentating together - I still remember "that swerve" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now this is where Peter Perfect comes in. Myself, a mate and his 12 year old son had been at Pukekohe for the weekend, a great weekend too as my travel agent upgraded us from basic entry tickets to corporate top end with full pit access.
Anyways, as a result my mates son Chris got every autograph on his shirt he wanted except Peter Brock who was mobbed more than most.
As we left the circuit at the end of the weekend, we got one further exit along the road in a stop-start crawl, and who should be leaving as we stopped near the teams exit, yep Peter. So we got Chris to jump out of the car, and run over to where he as being mobbed in the car for autographs by the exit pathway gate
Traffic partially clears JUST as young Chris gets there. He starts to turn away in disappointment, so Brock grabs his arm, says hold onto the door, and inches forward onto the road with Chris walking beside him. We watch from 2 cars back as Chris walks on the drivers side 20 metres or so until the traffic stops again, Brock signs his shirt with a felt marker, then gets Chris to walk around the front of his car to the road verge while he stays still and holds the traffic behind, then we roll up and collect him.

Can't get a better motor sports hero than that.
Slots addict 1st class * Classic quote for 2019 "whaa whaa whoo, where is I " * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club Website

#5 Slotspeed

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:25 PM

Love these stories here...

Murph - I don't mind him, but geez that moment with Ambrose at Bathurst cracks me up whenever I watch it. Someone did a series of re-enactment photos with Scaley supercars and drivers - cannot find them right now but they were very funny.

My Dad held up traffic for Skaife in the paddock at Oran Park decades ago, Skaifey got out and thanked him, he was appreciative. Not much turning circle and the lethal clutches in the dirt didn't look fun turning across crowds just to get into the garage.

Recently visited the spot where Brocky signed my T shirt decades ago at Amaroo Park. Someone left the gate open at the top (behind what is now a gym) and I drove as far as I dared, and found most of the upper pit area is still there... Just overgrown, the whole subdivision of the complex looks to be very half ****ed and there's about 7 or 8 houses in total, at least two structures remain, a dunny in the lower pit area (behind where the control tower was) and a shelter at the top pit area (was probably a sponsored permanent marquee for one of the tobacco backed teams!) Its funny I also waited politely for ages for a signature, there was some bloke talking for at least half an hour about his favorite Holden, Brocky only too happy to chat with him.

Another memorable one was Jimmy Richards, as a 14 year old I stopped the poor bloke whilst he was literally running to the dummy grid at Oran Park, having been given the last call by name over the PA. He still had time to stop for a kid (me) and sign my hat. Well I know why they call him Gentleman Jim (And I was never offended by his famous a-hole comment after the infamous red flag incident. In fairly recent interviews it turns out that he was trying to moderate Skaifey before they took to the podium. But he was overcome by his own emotions when they went out and that was when he let fly at the revved up Ford fans)

#6 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:05 AM

View PostSlotspeed, on 13 December 2019 - 10:25 PM, said:

Love these stories here...
Murph - I don't mind him, but geez that moment with Ambrose at Bathurst cracks me up whenever I watch it.

I was at Bathurst that year, staying at "Club Murph" - the Goldfields hostel accommodation part way along Conrod.
Strangely, we had about 20 guys and some girls from "The Mustang Club of Christchurch" among the 80 of us. - Vince, you don't want to be associated with those. They were 3 parks down from trailer trash... less said about them all weekend the better.
On Friday night at the gathering, Murphy had been taking questions about all sorts, and someone asked what he thought of Ambrose move to USA to try and get into NASCAR at the end of the season.
"Well as you all know, I think he is a complete pratt, but he has achieved pretty much all he can in Supercars except win Bathurst, which we plan to continue Sunday, but good on him for giving it a go, and I wish him well"

When the accident happened, I was at Forest Elbow. There was nearly a red v blue riot on the spot.
Someone had a generator and we had a few TV screens running, guys patched into Race control and the police frequency.
Someone said "there's a brawl up the top, and they have just called for 200 police....maybe they exaggerated. But apparently it was totally out of control.

At the enquiry, Ambrose had left the track against the rules, to ensure Murphy went in first not him as intended. They ruled it a racing incident.
When Murphy arrived at the camp mid evening, he walked in with his co-driver and said "What do we think of Ambrose?"
Most of us replied in synchronised harmony "He's a complete pratt" His co-driver who hadn't been there Friday night couldn't believe we had the phrase down pat, and where it came from.
The Mustang mob were very vocal in their support of Ambrose, and blaming Murphy for the crash on the Sunday night.

Murphy said Skaife was untouchable - he had the legs on everyone, and was always going to win. He thought someone else - I forget who, would probably hold second, but he was confident he would have stayed ahead of Ambrose for 3rd.
There was some millions worth of cars trailered back around the track in sad shape after that wee indiscretion.

Monday morning we did a circuit of the track in the bus before leaving, and on the 50 metres before the corner where the catapault collision occurred, there was Murphy's red paint smeared all the way up the inside concrete, where Ambrose had tried to get back into the queue after passing the first back-markers going up the hill when lights went green. By the time of the actually bad crash, Murphy was just a passenger.
When we all saw that paint, and pointed out the obvious; the Mustang mob went dead quiet, and didn't say a word until we stopped at the six sisters for a pit-stop half way back to Sydney.

#7 terry

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:24 AM

I was waiting for this!

#8 Slotspeed

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 12:13 PM

Hmmm... I had to go back and watch the video again to remind myself of the intricacies of the crash.

I better keep my thoughts to myself haha.

But there was a bit going on before the main impact/turning around of cars.

I've seen first hand Bathurst crowd getting rowdy and have heard of much worse as well unfortunately. Though I have heard its much less so in recent years thank goodness. Have also seen some very funny moments involving paddy wagons, police and lots and lots of donuts in the camping grounds.

#9 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 01:08 PM

View PostSlotspeed, on 14 December 2019 - 12:13 PM, said:

Hmmm... I had to go back and watch the video again to remind myself of the intricacies of the crash.

I better keep my thoughts to myself haha.

But there was a bit going on before the main impact/turning around of cars.

I've seen first hand Bathurst crowd getting rowdy and have heard of much worse as well unfortunately. Though I have heard its much less so in recent years thank goodness. Have also seen some very funny moments involving paddy wagons, police and lots and lots of donuts in the camping grounds.

Yes it all seems to have become quite tame. I blame the blokes who banned the good old couch burn. Without that to look forward to, people got a bit lost.
Not to mention axe man... he never hurt anyone, nor did the guys with the ride-on lawnmower esky trains.
Better for the ladies up the top though.

#10 aussieslotter

Digital Dude

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 03:05 PM

I dont have a problem with Greg Murphy until he opens his mouth and I have to listen the the accent.

Edited by aussieslotter, 15 December 2019 - 03:05 PM.

www.scorpiuswireless.com
The original wireless digital system with GRUNT.

#11 Caddo

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 08:50 PM

That comment was after the edit? wow. Murphy is good value in commentary. Good to see his son, another Kiwi driver, is doing well, Oz will claim him eventually :)
I'm sure the slot car community in NZ are gagging to buy some Scorpius kit now............

#12 Drifter

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 08:37 PM

View PostSlotsNZ, on 12 December 2019 - 09:31 AM, said:

View Postlenny broke, on 12 December 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

...... Got a bit of a frosty look as he drove by.

I think it is champion seeing Skaife and Ingle commentating together - I still remember "that swerve" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now this is where Peter Perfect comes in. Myself, a mate and his 12 year old son had been at Pukekohe for the weekend, a great weekend too as my travel agent upgraded us from basic entry tickets to corporate top end with full pit access.
Anyways, as a result my mates son Chris got every autograph on his shirt he wanted except Peter Brock who was mobbed more than most.
As we left the circuit at the end of the weekend, we got one further exit along the road in a stop-start crawl, and who should be leaving as we stopped near the teams exit, yep Peter. So we got Chris to jump out of the car, and run over to where he as being mobbed in the car for autographs by the exit pathway gate
Traffic partially clears JUST as young Chris gets there. He starts to turn away in disappointment, so Brock grabs his arm, says hold onto the door, and inches forward onto the road with Chris walking beside him. We watch from 2 cars back as Chris walks on the drivers side 20 metres or so until the traffic stops again, Brock signs his shirt with a felt marker, then gets Chris to walk around the front of his car to the road verge while he stays still and holds the traffic behind, then we roll up and collect him.

Can't get a better motor sports hero than that.

This is unsurprising about Brocky. I had the unbelievable good luck to drive with him ( I was a passenger) at Oran Park. He had never met me or knew who I was, but he was friendly and down to earth. And boy could he drive! It's one thing to watch from the sidelines or on the TV, but being in the car with him you soon realise why he won so often.
I will never forget that day.

www.sydneyslotcars.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users