downtowndeco

Making Straw Bales.

Making hay bales, I started by making some bales out of modeling clay. They measured a scale 18" x 18" x 36" . I used the clay shown, but to be honest, I didn't like it that much because of the texture. In any case, I used it anyway because it was what I had on hand.

YpfBkJj.jpg

j7rIsKf.jpg

I added detail using a wire brush and a small piece of 22 gauge wire (to emboss the baling twine). It was hard making them all the same size, but I figure I'll use the good ones up front & on top & the lumpy crappy ones in the back & on the bottom of the stacks.

rFHf7k1.jpg

Next, using the clay master patterns of hay bales I made, I made a silicone rubber mold. Now I can cast 1000 bales if I want to, and won't have to sculpt every single one.You can skip this step if you don't need too many & just want to sculpt them as you need them.

OK, so I cast some hydrocal plaster bales.

hQD8m1y.jpg

When dry, I spray painted them flat tan.

ieLmttz.jpg

When that was dry I gave them a burnt umber wash.

wQmdDo2.jpg

When that was dry I gave them a dry brushing with a very light flat tan.

BPOY5Jz.jpg

Finally, I rubbed some glue on them & rolled them in some sawdust. It wasn't important that every single bit of the bales got covered, but just enough to add some texture.

yNETXwe.jpg

R9cA58Y.jpg

E67b861.jpg

dNKxnPS.jpg

This was my first attempt at making these & I'm pretty happy with the way most of them turned out. Now, I only have to make about 500 more. smile.png

Any questions?

• Upvote 1