Diy Tyre Truer

7 replies to this topic

#1 Slotspeed

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 04:35 PM

I was a bit low on funds, and knew I needed a proper tyre truer to get the best performance, (influenced by your comments also, Mr SlotsNZ) so I built this gizmo, proudly from bits and pieces that were left over from other projects or to be thrown out and didn't spend a cent on it (though I will need to find a more appropriate motor) Once I tried it I was amazed at the difference, cars that were running at 6 seconds a lap were doing 5.1 seconds after truing on my little machine. I also could now hear the pleasing whine of the motor and gears instead of the out of round tyres rumbling down the track. Its still 'under development' and this photo was taken partway through construction. Pictured are some NSR rubber tyres (absolutely love them) mounted on modified standard Carrera 1/32 917K wheels. I also did a bit of a search on this forum to see if anyone had done something similar previously. And did a general google search. Was impressed with the various ways people have come up with to do it. In my instance, because of the splined wheels that I wanted to use, I had to mount the whole axle assembly in order to true the tyres.

Posted Image

Edited by Slotspeed, 17 November 2019 - 04:39 PM.

#2 Wobble

Electric model car wrecker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 05:56 PM

You hit the nail on the head with that. My truer is a diy jobby too.
Posted Image

#3 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,799 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:01 PM

Excellent !!!

That is the usual method with plastic wheels fixed to axles

Exactly the same principle as these two lathes - Professor Motor and RSM-3

Posted Image Posted Image
Slots addict 1st class * Classic quote for 2019 "whaa whaa whoo, where is I " * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club Website

#4 Slotspeed

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:07 PM

Mark, I copied the mounting method of the axle utilised by the Professor motor (and others) design, but modified the V block principle to hold the bushes a bit better without drifting upwards out of the V. I wanted to do something a bit different and whilst I had a pre made verticle slide (from another project) that I could have used, I thought what about a simple pivot. That way the tension of the belt stays the same no matter what vertical position the axle is set to. The second one you posted I hadn't seen. Looks like it also uses a pivot??? (edit, looks like it does, I just had a look at some pictures of it)

Cheers.

View PostWobble, on 17 November 2019 - 05:56 PM, said:

You hit the nail on the head with that. My truer is a diy jobby too.

Got a pic Wobble?

Edited by Slotspeed, 17 November 2019 - 07:22 PM.

#5 Wobble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:00 AM

Here 'tis. It's far from flash and just made of MDF but does have a reduction drive out of a 12v mini compressor. The other piece of equipment you can't see is a piece of 9mm MDF about 1m long and 200 wide which I put sticking out of the top draw of my desk at a slight angle, and I roll the finished wheel sets down and if they roll straight they're OK and if not I do a bit more work on them.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,799 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:08 AM

All I can say is, you fullas are clever beggars.

- Actually, I think a couple of guys from HBMRC - Capri-corn and another, also made their own tyre lathes, again, similar.
I think it is great to see the hand skills and home engineering.
Slots addict 1st class * Classic quote for 2019 "whaa whaa whoo, where is I " * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club Website

#7 Slotspeed

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:34 AM

I like it Wobble! With so many scratch builders, with the knack for building, there must be a few more DIY truers out there!

Does it pivot? Or move up and down vertically with the two screws towards the back as the tweak for setting both sides to be the same circumference?

I bet its as smooth as peanut butter ;)

Edited by Slotspeed, 18 November 2019 - 05:34 AM.

#8 Wobble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:16 PM

View PostSlotspeed, on 18 November 2019 - 05:34 AM, said:

I like it Wobble! With so many scratch builders, with the knack for building, there must be a few more DIY truers out there!

Does it pivot? Or move up and down vertically with the two screws towards the back as the tweak for setting both sides to be the same circumference?

I bet its as smooth as peanut butter ;)

Yep, you got it. The front knob raises and lowers the front (pivot) and the rear nuts tweak the diameter for both sides. What can hardly be seen is a rubber stopper under the plate and nut on each side at the back which allows the thing to pivot smoothly and takes up any tweaking if needed on each side. This was always going to be a stop gap job until I got my act together to build a proper one but somehow it works well enough and easy enough I just never bothered getting fancy.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users