2020 Tasman Cup

Stubbo

Our Tasman Cup proxy race has been a very popular series and from my point of view a series that has been a pleasure and a privilege to look after.

That has been due almost entirely to our dedicated group of hosts who have, for year after year, stepped up and made a significant contribution to the running of the series and have made life easy for myself and all the competitors and entrants.

Over the last couple of years the numbers have dropped a little and some of us have been having ongoing discussions about ways that we may be able to revamp or rejuvenate the series.

2019 however has been a particularly difficult year for a number of those involved. Particularly with the sudden passing of Bick Mick shortly after the series end.

2019 has also seen a number of our core group of Tasman stalwarts silently carrying the burden of their own personal issues and battles.

Consequently, after having had several discussions and communications with a number of people I have decided that it may be in the best interest of all those concerned to pause the Tasman Cup for 2020 and kick it off again in 2021. Yes this may disappoint some but I have thought long and hard about it and I feel that it is the right thing to do.

(It can also give us a chance to consider ways to improve or revamp the series. I will start another thread for that discussion)

So for now I want to thank everyone for being part of the Tasman Cup. It isn’t the end but the start of a new beginning.

And of course to those very special people, friends and mates who have become such an integral part of the Tasman I want to wish all you all the very best for 2020 and all strength to you.

Alan Stubbings

Sorry not to be able to enter the Tasman proxy for 2020 had built a new car and was looking forward once again to sending it down under , but can understand the thoughts to park it for a while, some of us are getting old and just a little bit weary and not as healthy as we once were , all things take their natural course.

2021 is a fair way of for some of us to look forward to , have enjoyed my time doing the Tasman and have been very impressed with the organisation and the running of it , and the guys and gal i,ve had the privelage of racing my little car with over my time doing it, don't think there is any way of improving it as it,s the best now, also not sure if there would be any more than the current interest in it , no new blood seems to be the fate of slot cars in general.

So will park my little Lotus's next to my OZ rally cars in the display case to keep the dust of , just in case they might ever see action once again.

Hi Stubbo. Appreciate your position. Have to admit I am of a similar mind mainly because I cannot be bothered. Think I am going to give proxy racing a break for a while. It has been a busy time over the last 7-8 years or perhaps it is longer than I think.

In the meantime however I would like to see the motor and tyre issue sorted for the TC to try and level the playing field. While I am not against a bit of enterprise I would like to see cars limited to scratch-built by the entrant. This may put some people off but perhaps encourage others. Standard motors and tyres likewise may not even things out but would like to see us try. Alternatively perhaps we could have a two class event which caters for both scratch-built and the use of commercial or part commercial chassis/cars.

I will probably get rubbished but at least it is food for thought.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Hi Alan

I'm very sorry there won't be a Tasman series next year but fully understand why; its sounds like its been a tough time recently. In any case I suspect it won't be a bad thing to take a break for a year to take stock and reconsider the rules and format (how about a series for the later, 2.5 litre cars?).

Very best wishes to all of you in Australia who have made the series possible and to all the people who have taken part.

David

Hi all,

Alan, yes mate some times need to sit back and evaluate where you are going.

Look forward to discussions on the "next round" 2021

May be, I may be able to finish a car to a standard I am happy with by then.

All the best to all and good luck for next year

Paul

Try Harder, if you dont fail your not trying hard enough

Hi Stubbo , Ok on giving the series a rest for a while . Personally I would like to see the cut off year go to 1970 . Also my preference is to use the one type motor

but open gearing . Maybe a little wider tyres to cater for the pre 1970 "F1" tyres .

But I guess it will be up to the wishes of the majority in the end .

For the SA guys - some with new cars built for 2020 I will be running a Mallala Gold Star Cup for the local guys around May or June .

Interstate ( & NZ ) cars are welcome to enter but will have to pay the 2 way postage and perhaps insurance - I will waiver any entry fee to the out of SA entries .

I will post details of the event at a later date . I will have to catch up with Lenny at Spitfire to see if he wishes to run an event as well.

Al the best Stubbo & look forward to 2021 .

John FPR7 email; fpr10@bigpond.com

Hello Folks

Given the trials and tribulations that some of us are going through at present,it's probably a good idea to give the series a break for now, though having finally built a brokespeed skate for myself I'm feeling a bit disappointed.

One of the reasons I really enjoy this series is the freedom it allows to build a car without control this and control that. This obsession with "evenin the playing field" is off putting for me. There's more than enough of this in local club racing everywhere to accommodate those that like that kind of thing. For me it's the variety of solutions to the problem, that attracts me to this series. A bit of research into previous years events will give all the answers to the perceived competitive gap.

I feel I need to respond to a couple of comments made above. Referring to "a bit of enterprise" I wonder if that is a vague reference to me building chassis for other people. Firstly it's hardly an "enterprise" given that I only charge $30 a pop for a chassis. It's not gunna make me rich any time soon is it? Consisting of a .90 mm flat brass plate, three smaller pieces for the motor mount/ axle carrier and a bit of piano wire to support the brass front axle tube. The idea was to demonstrate a simple chassis that almost anyone could build. I built the first one (sdeamons') for myself but John asked if I could help him with an entry. as it was already half built I handed it on to him when finished. The next year Big Mick & Mondeo 74 asked me to build one for them as well. so we had three new entries in two years that otherwise wouldn't have entered. I was asked by another mate to build one for him this year, hardly putting people off eh? For this year Mick asked me to help him build a car of his own design but alas we won't see that.

So the bottom line is four mates have asked me to build them a chassis each so they could get involved in the series. I must say that I was not expecting the success those chassis have had given such a simple design. Proves a car can be built that isn't a complicated flexi/ hinged/ torsion bar etc design.

Making it a builders only series will only put new people off especially those without the expertise and equipment. It smells a bit elitist to me also. And good luck policing it. If I hadn't disclosed that I built those chassis no one would have been any the wiser.

Anyway rant over, please keep calm and carry on!

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

I too finally entered last year ,after watching and even driving the cars in a few SA rounds over the years . My 2020 car is on the test track and performing better than last years car . Well I guess it's my 2021 car now . I hope the series returns .

I have entered a car in the Mac Pinches Thirties Championship for next year so will still have a proxy to follow .

PeterD

• 5 months later...

Just landed on this, Stubbo - saddened to learn that we are struggling to fill the field.... people move on, move away, go dormant... all valid reasons to withdraw - hopefully only temporarily....

If the 2021 season gets the green light, I have every intention of entering... not sure on a car - but this will be decided when the series guidelines are determined.

For me, and coming from a newbie with little experience - I would consider that a series named the "Tasman Cup" should follow the period and vehicle used for that series..... just me, and more than happy to abide by whatever is determined for the next series....

apologies for the very long dormancy... (my trait, in all hobbies I am involved in)

frats,

Rosco

Hi all.

I will be in whenever series restarts. Hopefully with a new car and/or at least chassis. Powered by Solabotic motor if allowed.

Have not even thought about it yet. Denny would appreciate a bit more leg room but we will have to wait and see what new rules bring.

I hope WRP/OZ Rally will return in some form soon too.

Currently still working through Touring Car Proxy entry but a long way to go.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)