Bush Fires In Oz

Peter Gunn

Thanks for the kind thoughts, you know things are really bad when the fire warning for tomorrow is ‘Catastrophic’ …..

One other probable victim of the situation is this weekend’s final round of the WRC –

https://rallyaustralia.com.au/rally-australia-hopes-wrc-event-will-go-ahead/

Cheers,

Tony.

There's only two questions:

1. What direction do you go

2. What's the Lap Record?

Very kind PG, our thoughts are with those directly affected as well.

To put into perspective what it's like, we are 50km from a fire that is affecting us, this is a relatively small fire compared to the ones in NSW.

The Fire is at Mt Barney near the top on the image below, we are about where the 13 is on the highway NE of the source.

But still the wildlife are quite alarmed, we are seeing more large lizards, snakes, quolls, wombats and roos around than usual.

We are guessing that they are thinking that the fire is closer than it is due to the smoke and coming out of the bush.

Look at the scale bottom right to get an idea of size.

20191111103800-438ab9a2.jpg

This is the road to our place, we live half way up the hill to the left, it's like a japanese painting.

20191111102119-aa2e6db4-me.jpg

If this is what it is like where we are, I dread to imagine what it is like for those directly affected.

Worse to come as well if the weather prediction comes true for tomorrow and Wednesday.

Edited by ZeGas

Yup - WRC Oz now cancelled completely...... :wacko: , but in the overall scheme of things, that is a minor inconvenience compared to what some people are going through.....

Cheers,

Tony.

There's only two questions:

1. What direction do you go

2. What's the Lap Record?

Yes, not a good situation for people living fire prone areas.

For NSW residents in fire areas, the NSW RFS has a free app that could help warn of approaching fires.

NSW RFS website.

Once it is downloaded to your device, you key in your location, and a distance for surrounding area, then if that area is threatened, it will show up on your "Watch Zone" info.

Steve K.

I still remember about 12 years back, when Eno was living in Dandenong, not long after I'd stayed with him, and the fires that year got pretty close to his place.

Then our friend's son, ex of NZ, but living further inland from there, did lose his house.

Makes you realise your life isn't bullet proof... poor beggars

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

• 2 weeks later...

Crikey cobbers, you sure are having a rough spring. When you do get water it comes in too much hurry, and part still frozen

- For Keith who may not have seen the news

"A severe, fast-moving thunderstorm passing over Sydney, Australia, has felled trees and powerlines in the city's north, smashing cars and forcing trains to stop.

Trains on the North Shore and Western line have been blocked by a tree that fell over the tracks between Gordon and Lindfield.

Trees have also fallen onto cars and buildings and are blocking roads while powerlines have been reported down in a number of northern suburbs."

1574739148485.jpg

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Braidwood, about 100 ks from Canberra and you can see the size of the 2 fires threatening us.

https://photos.googl...dwWyhReP7yO7JtZ

The one on the left came about 2 ks from town before we stopped it 2 weeks ago but for the past 2 weeks it's been threatening homes to the north and south. Last week the fire on the right broke through and the local RFS (Rural Fire Service) has also stopped it getting closer to Braidwood.

I'm with the RFS and not too proud to admit I got scared while backburning in a thick forest watching a wall of fire 2 metres high approaching us. To the credit of everyone around me we stopped the fire getting through and full respects to all the guys and girls in the RFS who are all volunteers.

I got lots of pats on the back from people at work but honestly I don't think I deserve any praise. I could have done better and praise is for the real heroes, those farmers and homeowners who stood by their properties.

At least now I know what real stress is about, not the petty things that I put up with at work (public service).

Here's some pictures of what we had to deal with.

r0_273_5338_3488_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

76878709_2514517508784770_6325894796068131836_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=102&oh=82e1b8edb4d883b0c1f936aca394a81a&oe=5EB217CB

This is what the fire looked like from the Canberra side - 100 ks away.

summer_bush_fires_by_aymcreations_ddlat9b-fullview-1-960x640.jpg

Edited by Sports Racer
  • Upvote 1

May the downforce be with you.

Good on ya mate dong your bit, and a few other's bit besides.

I'd have been filling my pants out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a tough start to the fire season. We have a great crew supporting firies with catering both at staging areas and in Evacuation centres. My crew were at Braidwood early in Dec (see pics above) but thankfully only a few at the centre. The staging area support is more challenging- went to a small fire in Kybeyan (about 12,000 hectares) and fed 3 fire crews from a very dark corner on a fire trail. These people are amazing!

Good work,

Any help and assistance is more than most will ever do.

great stuff.

Some do not even care.

We have seen people driving around here still throwing butts out the window.

in these conditions

Bastards should go to jail.

Keep up the effort

and good luck to all.

Try Harder, if you dont fail your not trying hard enough

• 3 weeks later...

Many of us over here cannot do much more than support the people of OZ with donations , just hope when things ease of a bit you are not forgotten as the media moves on, going to take a very long time to try to repair and replace what's lost .

Thank you Keith,

Getting some light rain in some areas that will ease the fires a bit. We are also very thankful to the 1000's of overseas firefighters who are still working hard in many areas.

Smoke has been difficult to deal with as well. Many getting sick and complications.

We took off Mid Dec to the north west, then north for 3 weeks to avoid the smoke. came home to ash over everything outside.

Next it will be floods but that would fill most of the country's empty dams

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg