Interesting Experience On Tyre Performance

Slotspeed

Not sure if it was the slightly warmer weather yesterday in Sydney, or the change to a different type of sticky tape to clean my tyres, but I noticed a drastic difference in the grip of my quickest non mag driver, the Slot.it Matra CA37A.

Apart from removing the magnet, and adding a custom made Carrera chip, it is completely stock, I never even trued the tyres and never even added any weight. I have had it for a few months, and on a good day I can get around 4.999 to 4.946 on my 12m track (which was my record for non magnet) But yesterday, after not even cleaning the track after about 3 days of not using it (normally it would take a wipe down or 10 minutes of driving to get any grip) it was almost immediately doing 4.841 and was noticeable easier to drive than it had been during the cooler months. I had a close look at the tyres and noticed they were for the first time starting to show a little bit of use (On Carrera plastic btw) so I slowed down to 5.2 second laps just to enjoy the drive but not to scrub the tyres out too much (not so much oversteer, not that there was much anyway)

Well anyway, I found this quite interesting, I have only been back into slot cars for a little less than 2 years, but haven't experienced such a big jump in performance like this without any actual effort to get it. This car is my best one to drive, it is quite forgiving as it has quite a bit of grip and great handling. Possibly rivalling the Sideways Lambo if that is a comparison, though I have no lap time data on the Lambo. Gotta say this car has been the best value for money purchase I have made since I got back into it.

My little anecdote for the afternoon.

Steve.

Edited by Slotspeed
  • Upvote 1

I think it will be the warmer weather, I did a test one day with my infrared thermometer, and the heater on in the shed, and found that my track didn't start to give good grip untill the track surface was up to 15 degrees.

Now with the warmer weather, you will find the track won't drop bellow 15 degrees, giving good grip all the time.

• Upvote 1

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

Not sure if it was the slightly warmer weather yesterday in Sydney, or the change to a different type of sticky tape to clean my tyres, but I noticed a drastic difference in the grip of my quickest non mag driver, the Slot.it Matra CA37A.

Apart from removing the magnet, and adding a custom made Carrera chip, it is completely stock, I never even trued the tyres and never even added any weight. I have had it for a few months, and on a good day I can get around 4.999 to 4.946 on my 12m track (which was my record for non magnet) But yesterday, after not even cleaning the track after about 3 days of not using it (normally it would take a wipe down or 10 minutes of driving to get any grip) it was almost immediately doing 4.841 and was noticeable easier to drive than it had been during the cooler months. I had a close look at the tyres and noticed they were for the first time starting to show a little bit of use (On Carrera plastic btw) so I slowed down to 5.2 second laps just to enjoy the drive but not to scrub the tyres out too much (not so much oversteer, not that there was much anyway)

Well anyway, I found this quite interesting, I have only been back into slot cars for a little less than 2 years, but haven't experienced such a big jump in performance like this without any actual effort to get it. This car is my best one to drive, it is quite forgiving as it has quite a bit of grip and great handling. Possibly rivalling the Sideways Lambo if that is a comparison, though I have no lap time data on the Lambo. Gotta say this car has been the best value for money purchase I have made since I got back into it.

My little anecdote for the afternoon.

Steve.

How much are the custom chips?

3 stooges, 2 apologists and 1 deep endless mess.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

How much are the custom chips?

Built from scratch from www.http://redlichelectronics.de design. As you might imagine the costly component is the labor to put them together. So I designed a new PCB with an easier layout to assemble, haven't ordered them yet though. I saw your new PCB and now mine seem too big by comparison haha. Obviously just a hobby for me.

Steve.