munter

Open Wheel Club Class?

Just wondering if your group races an open wheel class and what that might be?

Our group runs older tupperware scalextric F1 models with some modern mods allowed but was thinking what else might be a good move.

TIA

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Our open wheel class is 18k so that pretty much means anything from modified Tupperware cars to F1, A1 and Indycars from any manufacturer.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

We race Cartrix GP cars or resin equivalent with NC-1 style motors <14k non mag

We run scalextric 60s and 70s F1 eg Lotus 49 and 72, Eagles McLaren, BRMs etc at 8-9 volts button magnet still in

We have also run the earlier 50s Scalextric, Fly GP/F1 cars and Modern F1 once or twice for fun

The Cartrix get run more regularly than other cars

Edited by dangermouse

We run 3 open wheel classes regularly.

Cartrix with BWA motors.Tasman Cup F1 based on the Proxy Rules and Fly GP Cars.

We allow other brands in the Fly class from the same period But they must run the Fly motor, and this is run on 10 volts.

Edited by kalbfellp

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

One of the groups I race with run three open wheel classes, Cartrix GP with BWA motors allowed, Classic GP with Basically,Tasman proxy rules but allow later wings and slicks era cars and Modern GP which is falrly open allowing Allslot metal chassis as well as scratchbuilt chassis.

Help me with the correct description please...

I thought there would be some group racing Policar by now but it seems not so.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Hi Munter and all.

Different tack in New Plymouth. Many of us have spare or older Slot-it Group C cars that are just sitting around in boxes. We have a class where classis is cut down but otherwise standard in all other respects. We fit with clear metal car body and it is all on. Body attached with clear tape. A well performing cars at minimum cost and faster than Group C as less body weight.

Not as pretty as RTR cars but certainly fun to drive.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Aside from the Cartrix which get a regular run we are not really into open wheel cars as a group. They are more a novelty class which is probably why the Policar don't get a run. The variety of different cars and liveries wasn't there to start with to make a grid and then once they started to release more cars not enough people in the group were buying them to generate interest in racing them as a class whereas lots of folk ended up buying the Scalextric cars because of the variety of liveries.

I love those highly detailed 70s- 80s cars that are available now but they look so flimsy for club racing.

One of our crew ran one in our tuppaware class (sorry Mac) and I saw a front wing get sheared of and then later the rear wing cleanly snapped off. Possibly was a Policar ?

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

We run a class for '50's type GP cars and all are powered by NC-1's. Open to RTR plus scratchbuilt with either resin or vac.formed bodies.

The other open wheel class is for 3 litre GP, track voltage is turned down to 9. A couple of guys run Policars but they don't dominate the results.

Chris.

• Upvote 1

Late Model