Unloved The Gt40

5 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Gunn

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:46 PM

Been to a couple of club meetings recently a fair way away not to take part but just to catch up on what is going on , and both these clubs seem to love racing classic cars from the early middle 60,s , and it struck me as i was spectating , where were the Ford GT40,s not a one in sight , we had E types, you name a class of Ferrari they were there couple of Cobras, 3 Coupes and 5 Policar P4,s 7 or 8 Lola's but where was the GT40,s.
Then i remembered i had one which has not seen the light of day this year ,so is the slot car version of the mighty GT40 just unloved :o

#2 Slotspeed

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:10 AM

I went through a GT40 obsession, I considered building an accurate kit car version at one point but then I dunno there are so many other rear or mid engined sports cars out there that are just as impressive. I never bought a GT40 slot car though.

#3 Sports Racer

V8 Supercar Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:29 PM

I have a Fly GT40 that regularly beats the historic Slot.it's and NSR's. They are limited to a 14k motor (Jack Rabbit) which isn't much of a limit as they seem to have the same speed down the straights as my 18k GT40.

Rear tyres on the GT40 are MJK, front are shaved to be micro thin so the Scaleauto 8mm guide sits all the way in the slot. Rear axle mounts are reinforced with 2 strips of wood (Paddle Pop sticks) running all the way to the front axle so the chassis is very stiff. Add a bit of lead and it's easy to drive right on the limit which is probably why it laps so quickly. One of my favourite cars.
May the downforce be with you.

#4 dangermouse

Triple Crown Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:17 PM

I don't know I have around 30 GT40 slot cars - mind you the Scalextric one seems to prefer running with the magnets in - the Fly ones are pretty good once setup - my NSR is stupid quick and the slot.it ones are really sweet but I haven't invested time in fine tuning them because we don't race slot.it cars and the Cox one still needs a bit of work to fully restore it

#5 Capri-corn7

Metrobro Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:37 PM

I'm running my Slot.it GT-40 in our 65-80 sports class tonight. Thunderslots are taking over but one of our crew also has a slot.it GT40 so well set up it runs with them easily...
They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

#6 David Carter

Crockett / CrockettNZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 04:30 PM

Yep I am running the slot it GT40 with NSR 22k and gears
It does take a bit to get them to run with the thunderslot cars
Better off just buying the thunderslot cars if you are into winning races

That said I still think the GT40 is a fantastic looking car and well worth racing

Holdens rule the rest just drool
Posted Image

slot cars are my drug,
ATCC/Bathurst proxy host
NZ Grp5 proxy host.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users