Unloved The Gt40

Peter Gunn

Been to a couple of club meetings recently a fair way away not to take part but just to catch up on what is going on , and both these clubs seem to love racing classic cars from the early middle 60,s , and it struck me as i was spectating , where were the Ford GT40,s not a one in sight , we had E types, you name a class of Ferrari they were there couple of Cobras, 3 Coupes and 5 Policar P4,s 7 or 8 Lola's but where was the GT40,s.

Then i remembered i had one which has not seen the light of day this year ,so is the slot car version of the mighty GT40 just unloved :o

I have a Fly GT40 that regularly beats the historic Slot.it's and NSR's. They are limited to a 14k motor (Jack Rabbit) which isn't much of a limit as they seem to have the same speed down the straights as my 18k GT40.

Rear tyres on the GT40 are MJK, front are shaved to be micro thin so the Scaleauto 8mm guide sits all the way in the slot. Rear axle mounts are reinforced with 2 strips of wood (Paddle Pop sticks) running all the way to the front axle so the chassis is very stiff. Add a bit of lead and it's easy to drive right on the limit which is probably why it laps so quickly. One of my favourite cars.

May the downforce be with you.

I don't know I have around 30 GT40 slot cars - mind you the Scalextric one seems to prefer running with the magnets in - the Fly ones are pretty good once setup - my NSR is stupid quick and the slot.it ones are really sweet but I haven't invested time in fine tuning them because we don't race slot.it cars and the Cox one still needs a bit of work to fully restore it

Yep I am running the slot it GT40 with NSR 22k and gears

It does take a bit to get them to run with the thunderslot cars

Better off just buying the thunderslot cars if you are into winning races

That said I still think the GT40 is a fantastic looking car and well worth racing

• Upvote 1

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

• 1 month later...

Decided to dust of my 2 Slot it GT40,s and give them a good track run, forget about racing against a Thunderslot Lola unless you tweak a little , so i did first to go where the slot it tyres and replaced them with PG,s XPG 's , now these wear a bit on Carrera track but well worth the time to true and glue , great tyre and a increase in performance , next to go was the braid always have found slot it braid a bit stiff, on went thin silver tinned braid much more flexible especially now i have the front lowered.

Next thing was to fit the Gulf one with a new Slot it 23k , both these cars had the otiginal 21, this gave an increase in lap times against the other GT40, bit of weight up front and in front of the sidewinder motor, so now for track test

Friend of mine came over and ran the Lola Spyder against both GT40,s , well first thing i noticed was both cars were a lot better than before , the Gulf having the edge on the Daytona GT40, but both cars were loosing a bit in chassis performance , could not go through the esses like the Lola, boy those chassis are good flat neutral handling , against the older type of slot it chassis the GT40,s just did not have that sort of handling as good as they were just lost a tenth here and there , mainly in those esses.

Conclusion well wondering about trying to craft a Lola chassis in a GT40.