Dtm Sierra

1 reply to this topic

#1 slotmadmac

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:45 PM

Our racing group recently started a DTM class running cars from the '84 -96 era. All cars must run the new Slot It 21k FC130 motor. Almost everyone is running a Slot It DTM car so the obvious thing is to do something different. The target here is to get a car running sub 7s on my track which makes it competitive with my own Slot It DTM Opel. No sense running a slower car just to prove a point!

I have a couple of options on the bench. The first option is a Ford Sierra - based on the Scalextric model with a PCR aftermarket chassis.

Posted Image

The PCR chassis is designed to run inline but with the high/narrow Sierra there was no way that would make a competitive car so a sidewinder or anglewinder set up was the go. (I always think a sidewinder motor configuration makes for a faster car.) Shoehorning the motor and spur gear into the available space called for some creativity. First step was to remove the 'fingers' on the pod that hold the Slot It axle bearing in place and replace those bearings with a set of AVID single flange ball bearing bushes. (Slot It now sell a pod to work with this single flange bearing set up).

Posted Image

The next step was to strengthen the pod. I needed to get the sidewinder set up as low as possible and that meant cutting out the centre of the inline pod. Solution was to glue in a thin plastic base below the pod. This meant I could grind out the original pod sides and the pod would still have some strength - plus the screws holes that attach it to the chassis would remain in the right place. Here it is before I dremmelled the pod sides out. I used JB Weld to add some structural strength at each end.

Posted Image

After grinding out the pod sides the motor was glued into place - again with JB Weld. The motor now sat flat on what was the base of the original pod. Getting a smooth mesh was easy and the final set up looked like this:

Posted Image

The chassis ended up here. More lead than I normally like to run but it is a narrow, tall car. I have to say I was very happy with the result so far and confident that this car would be quick on the track.

Posted Image

Time for some body work. A quick trip to the legendary Munter Skunkworks resulted in an excellent vac form interior and windows (thanks Mate!) and I lowered the body by removing excess material on the body posts.

Here she is lowered and ready to test. A DTM(ish) respray will come later if she cuts the mustard.

Posted Image

Despite a nice quiet mesh and good straight line speed, all the promise of this build didn't get me across the line. The car remained tippy in the corners when pushed - especially with clean tyres - and I could only break into the 7.3s bracket. I think, with time, there is more to get out of this car but I know that it's not going to get me where I want to go.

You can't win 'em all. Back to the drawing board and build #2.

Edited by slotmadmac, 12 August 2019 - 08:18 PM.

Podiums are for short people.

#2 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,799 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:27 PM

Nah, I think 7.3 is plenty fast enough :rolleyes:
Slots addict 1st class * Classic quote for 2019 "whaa whaa whoo, where is I " * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club Website

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users