Window Molds

ZeGas

Can someone please tell me a good method to produce window molds.

I am 3D printing some bodies and have tried various ways, so far most are close but no cigar.

Firstly one had a 3D print designed window form so tried that first and melted the PLA.

Then tried again with a cooler temp it deformed the PLA

printed again and made a plaster mold, but of course that is inverted, so tried casting a cast in the plaster mold using cling film as a separator, that sort of worked but the cling film folded over creating creases.

I have now sliced the model to leave only the roof with the intention of putting tape over the window form on the outside of the roof and casting the inside.

This might work OK for the front and sides but the rear window is an odd shape, see image below, which I could mold squarish and sand to shape.

20190809155102-f133f732-me.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by ZeGas

Thanks Munter, they will be vac formed, it's the mold for the vac form I am wanting to construct.

How do you resin guys do it from scratch.

I start with a balsa block that is shaped and smoothed. Once I am satisfied I will do one or two pulls and then do a back pour in resin.

The resin can be polished to give a better result and it also handles the heat from the hot plastic over and over.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Clay, Of course clay, not sure why that didn't cross my mind in the first place, I have been stuck on plaster for some reason.

I just go "hey munter" with a hopeful questioning whine in my voice :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seem to produce a very good quality result

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol: