Big Mick - We Will Miss You Mate

jphanna

WE just lost a very special person in SA. Big Mick. This is going to hit hard right across town. He was one of the most pleasant, fun, informative, and just an all round nice guy that earned huge respect amongst the Slot car fraternity.

Hearing of his loss is one thing……actually believing it is another. I am still in shock, as would be many racers here.

Big Mick, although is a renowned fast racer that builds impeccable cars has only been in the hobby for about 5 years.

First day I met him was at ScalexWorld. There was a team enduro and he rolled up as an interested observer. He was the supervisor to a long term slotter, john. They both worked at Holden and Mick was johns supervisor.

Needless to say Mick and I become instant friends and I managed to arrange to have him join a team for this race at the very last minute. He expressed interest in the hobby and let it be known that he will make it a big part of his life.

At time progressed we found him racing with us at Thunderbirds raceway. It was here that he started to earn a reputation for building very fast cars and fine tune his driving skills to be considered one of the best drivers. at the same time, become a much loved person to all who raced with him. I raced in quite a few enduros with Big Mick, and at Tbirds and I was lucky enough to have won one with him, there some years ago.

When Holden shut down, his eventual new job/s dictated that his hours reduced his ability to race at Tbirds, so he found himself doing races in private tracks, when it suited his roster. It is bitter sweet for me that the last race we were team mates, was 2018 in the BRM championship Group C Enduro, which we won.

With Big Mick, it wasn’t just about winning or losing. When he arrived at a venue, you were always greeted and treated with respect.

Big Mick was just a nice person to be with at all times. You wanted to engage in a conversation with him because you knew that you would walk away better informed, and more knowledgeable than when before you started your conversation.

Just last week, he emailed me to just have a chat about race car set ups. Little did I know that that would be my last conversation with him……..

This was one guy who just gave and gave and never stopping giving. To lose this guy is a real shame and I am not afraid to day that I loved him like a brother.

• Upvote 1

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

I don't know Big Mick personally but did have a few PM's with him during the Tasman series , chatting about my car and his thoughts on why it was not going well, in those conversations it struck me here was a chap who was a slot car man through and through , so pleased for him for his performance in the Tasman , and such success in his first season , i was looking forward to seeing what he was going to come up with for the next series.

Thanks Big Mick for taking the time to chat via the PM's you will be sadly missed mate.

I'm really sorry to hear that, although I have never met him, I took a lot of his advice from the forums over the years.

He was a great contributor.

My condolences to his friends and family.