Vx Commodore

Wobble

This may well be common knowledge (that I wasn't aware of) but in the last couple of days this arrived in the post and I expected the chassis to be almost identical (other than the guide) to the range of VY/VZ V8 Supercars produced by Scalextric. It turns out the VX wheelbase is almost spot on scale wise and the VY is about 6mm longer which equates to the models having the wheelbase of the wagons and utes instead of the sedans. Now, what I'm wondering is, did Scalextric have it wrong or were the V8 Supercars based on the wagon/ute chassis? It doesn't bother me either way but just interested to know why they might be different.

scalextric-holden-vx-commodore.jpg

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

I don't know if this is correct and I am sure someone who knows will correct me if I am wrong but with regards to the Scalectric V8 Supercars I always suspected that Scalextric took the measurements of the roar cars and made them look like race cars, hence the different wheelbases.

At some stage the V8's all had the same wheelbase and they had to make the bodies fit but I am sure it was shorter than the road car as I remember seeing a picture with a shorter rear door compared to the road car.

Corporate greed is driving inflation.

Cash, use it or lose it.  No Digital Currency, No Digital ID.

• 1 year later...
On 6/18/2019 at 12:54 PM, mtpanorama said:

I don't know if this is correct and I am sure someone who knows will correct me if I am wrong but with regards to the Scalectric V8 Supercars I always suspected that Scalextric took the measurements of the roar cars and made them look like race cars, hence the different wheelbases.

At some stage the V8's all had the same wheelbase and they had to make the bodies fit but I am sure it was shorter than the road car as I remember seeing a picture with a shorter rear door compared to the road car.

You are spot and n. All the cars are the same dimensions and they had to make the body panels fit I had a lot to do with both the freightliner and alliance cars. People who have not gotten close to these cars would not believe how the panels are manipulated to fit. Look at the mustang roof height and the commodores length.