3D Printing Car Bodies

Well have you got me going or what, I have just taken one of Garry's STL's (Mustang GT) and setting it up for 3D printing using meshmixer.

Will post once complete if thats OK with you NimRod.

What model Mustang GT is this? I would love to do my car if it is a 2017 Mustang.

Well have you got me going or what, I have just taken one of Garry's STL's (Mustang GT) and setting it up for 3D printing using meshmixer.

Will post once complete if thats OK with you NimRod.

What model Mustang GT is this? I would love to do my car if it is a 2017 Mustang.

Mustang_GT.stl

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

And this is what it looks like printed.

20190630085456-ff4331b6-me.jpg

20190630085459-aedbc6eb-me.jpg

20190630085458-6092f5e5-me.jpg

20190630085457-c697534b-me.jpg

It was a very rough and ready quick print to make sure I didn't miss anything, and I did. If you look closely at the right rear there is a small gap between the window and the body side, this has been fixed in the STL I think.

If anyone wants the STL it can be downloaded from

https://www.dropbox....emoved.stl?dl=0

Edited by ZeGas

Also I have printed off the NimRod supplied Corvair.

It is very thin but a coat of resin has fixed that up and I think it could go the distance.

20190630085503-1c40d62f-me.jpg

Pre & post resin coating

20190630085454-fe3ab8a3-me.jpg

Yeah I know, hole in roof, oops.

20190630085500-9e94b0e3-me.jpg

And lastly I bought this 4th Generation Studebaker Champion of the net ($13) because it had all the bits including a mold for vac forming the windows, interior and lights. It also has mounting pins.

20190630085502-9796b5b0-me.jpg

It is loooong, 160mm, which is true to scale.

Can be purchased from

https://pinshape.com/items/22434-3d-printed-1953-studebaker-commander-132-scale-slot-car

Even though they say it is a commander I am pretty sure it is a champion.

• Upvote 1

Going to try mine but am waiting on return of IPS car as there was a bit of a flaw in the design that caused it to partially fail.

So want to see what the problem was and how to fix it before going ahead.

Is there a place where I can learn general information about 3D drawing and printing 3D models? I'm interested also in technical drawings of mechanical components. Is this part of a similar discipline and what is the best way to start? Should I just pick a 3D drawing package and start learning it? Asking for general direction to look to rather than going off topic. Cheers. (my question may sound naive, but I have learnt audio, video and graphics software, and understand there is effort required to learn a new software package)

Edited by Slotspeed

Found this Pagani Zonda, very unorthodox chassis design, I'll print it out some time just to see how it goes.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Vlad:

You listed a Maserati Birdcage as an available model at one point; any chance of an .stl file for that one? You have my e-mail...

Ditto please Vlad

Is there a place where I can learn general information about 3D drawing and printing 3D models? I'm interested also in technical drawings of mechanical components. Is this part of a similar discipline and what is the best way to start? Should I just pick a 3D drawing package and start learning it? Asking for general direction to look to rather than going off topic. Cheers. (my question may sound naive, but I have learnt audio, video and graphics software, and understand there is effort required to learn a new software package)

Probably best to start with Fusion 360 its free to use and there is plenty of you tube tutorial videos to get started. When Installing the program make sure you select hobbiest as type of user.

SCR%20logo.jpg

I've just finished building a hypercube evolution (HEVO) 3D printer, I still have some tuning to do but it should be ready to go soon. I have also been working on a v8 supercar chassis for the Holden and Ford but with all this body printing going on, I may have to make it suit the Nissan.

Curious as to what filament you are printing the bodies with and the print setting layer height and nozzle size etc

V8%20chassis%20snap%20shot.jpg

SCR%20logo.jpg

Hi All,

@WKM - I use the following:

Aururum PLA (Same company that sold me the WomBot Exilis)

Hot End 195-200 Deg C

Heated Bed (Glass) 60 Deg C

Speed 35

Flow 100-102%

Fan 100%

Z-Layers 0.05mm

I think I have the Nissan body somewhere ;)

Cheers

NimROD

Hi Wayne,

It does but you get a very nice print in the end, the ridges here are easily covered by primer, plus you get a nice interior to the model.

35dee61e-b522-46ab-aa59-8170460b976e-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

2017-11-30%20VV%20mobile%20dump%2025.07.18%20005.jpg

You can barely see any lines on the miniature, the space ship behind her was at 0.1mm

2017-01-22%20VV%20mobile%20dump%2025.07.18%20001.jpg

The taller one is 25mm and smaller 15mm high

ecff9f74-373a-4d1b-a1fc-dffc8ed72896-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

No prob's about the Nissan, just give me a week as I have promised other models first.

Cheers

NimROD

Wow good effort

Was the car printed standing on its end or is that just the layer transition creating the lines across the body?

No need to work on the Nissan, I can repair myself send what you have.

SCR%20logo.jpg