2019 Tasman Cup Round 5 Fulham Park

Stubbo

Hi the Tasman Cup 2019 Cars have Arrived at FPR. I have prepared the cars and They then had time ( laps ) trial & I have done the reports on them .

Any queries about the reports please contact me . either on the forum or email fpr7@bigpond.com

I have now done the qualifying. I think the pattern in the results is very similar to previous rounds .

Seems the Broke Speed customer cars have taken the podium positions in Qualifying . Congratulations to the Broke Speed crew.

Cars-ready-for-time-trial.jpg

Tasman-Car-Test-2019.jpg

One mistake - difinity is in 20th position not 7 as shown - sorry about that.

Tasman-2019-Qualifying.jpg

Tasman-2019-Qualifying-results.jpg

All set for the race next Saturday Afternoon. Drivers are selected . Lenny on Red , PM Daniels on Green, Max Newcome on Yellow, And Big Mick 2 on Blue - in other words same drivers & lanes as last year.

Looking forward to it !

Edited by John FPR7

Hi FPR7/John.

Thanks for comments about cars. I have gradually increased the weight of my car from 52 to 59 grams (started at 47) but I note some of the cars are getting quite heavy. At least 8 are over 65gms including major contenders with one other over 70gms. There was a time when a car near 70gms was well overweight. I note Terry though is only 56gms and his is going a lot better than mine so there is a bit more than weight at play.

Stirring - Perhaps in view of light weight nature of real cars we should limit to 60gms. Do not want to limit Lenny's entrepuneurial skills but perhaps cars should be built by entrants. It is after all a building class.

Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Kiwi Stirrer and sheep lover.

Entrepreneurial Skills? Hardly! I build them at cost for my mates. They get a simple one piece chassis,that they then have to fettle themselves. not a lot different to some others running Penelope Pitlane or Beardog. We'd have a lot less entries if we restricted it to builders only, so I don't see an issue myself. B)

Edited by lenny broke

Sorry Lenny/Alan and all - just my attempt at humour. I did say I was stirring. Never thought you were making money on the deal. That said a couple of years ago racers were obliged to make front end of cars (my car which was built well before this requirement still has the BWA front axle mount so disqualify it if you wish) so direction appeared to be going toward increasing building requirements. I appreciate the likes of Beardog chassis are still allowed but I was not allowed to use my modified Slot-it motor mount. Phil or Stubbo have also said new entrants are given a little leeway with their first cars. I think this is good to encourage new entrants and several fall into this category this year. We certainly needed some new blood. Great to see some of these doing so well first up.

Personally I like the building challenge and look to increase the complexity/detail in my own cars in each one I build even if my skills are only average. My current Brabham even has the hydraulic oil lines. Next time I hope to add brake drums although I will not be the first to do this.

It does not really matter either way as long as everybody is enjoying the competition and the proxy survives. I will be disappointed however if I ever build a car over 60gms. I know I am into sheep but I do not want to be one myself. I would like the issue of motors to be reviewed again however with my preference being a tested handout motor and perhaps even tyres. I know this is no guarantee of the same performance but it does minimise differences. It is of some concern (in my eyes anyway) that the difference between the field seems to be increasing dramatically. Up to 20 laps with at least some rounds.

Just my thoughts but please feel free to ignore the ravings of somebody from across the ditch.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Interesting Charles i tend to agree about the performance of some cars the racing is getting well spread out now compared with past years when we had closer racing, noted about the Brokestreet boys but if we want to be competative have to either join them ( if we can ) or be prepared to just be cannon fodder for them so they can enjoy the cudos of always being at the top.

It will come to the point as it always does where some of us will call it a day , and i doubt if there is any new blood coming into this sort of thing , so it will just fade away like the WRP feels it is.

Personally using the machinery i do i will never be in that top group , my chassis is ok i modified a Beardog but i,m always down on motor power according to the feed back , never understand why when i gear the same use a standard SRP 16 k motor , well prep my tyres , true and glue , always get good comments how smooth my car is and end up qualifying 14th , so as far as i,m concerned it,s the bloody motor.

Have a couple of new bodies here a Lotus 25 and a Ferrari 156 yep might be a Ferrari man next year , but still will come down to the bloody motor these little things should be a lot closer and how the hell am i half a second slower than Big Mick's car over one lap in quali i don't understand. :unsure:

Sorry but I cannot agree with the above comments,

it is puzzling why your car( and at times mine) is off the pace but you have to persevere and maybe look at the little things that make one car quicker than the other.

I've had my share of thrashings, as we all have, and it comes down to paying attention to the little things like tyre treatment, the right tyres, the right size tyre, you can never spend too much time on tyres!

Then there is the gears and the mesh, the really quick cars have the sweetest mesh, no resistance and QUIET, a quiet car is nearly always a quick car, there should be no binding or hint of resistance in the fitting of bearings, again the rears should just spin real easy,

I try to get a new car to the line every year, sometimes I get caught out for time and "dog out" and just refurbish last years car, often at my peril!

This year we have a number of choices for motors, but its not the motor which will make the difference, it will always be the way you set your car up and how easy it will be for host drivers to push for that consistent lap.

In your case your #14 car is really good, but I wouldn't be resting on that, pull it down reset the rear end and true up those tyres and drive it long, thrash it around till you get signs of improvement.

You mention your bear dog chassis, now they are a very nice chassis but I don't remember a bear dog chassis being up there at the pointy end too often, but,........a couple of years back Uncle Phils Grankids entered a car with a Penelope Pitlane chassis and for a couple of years it was almost untouchable, pretty much all down to the fact that it was put together so well.

If you are using Paul gage tyres try the PGT compound, make sure you true the tyre down to about 20.5mm and true the tyre without overheating them, don't forget to round the edges.

So after all my ranting, what I'm saying is, just get stuck in and start thinking about next years car, thats the real fun of this proxy, getting these little buggers to go, because once you get it right its very infectious!

Terry

Edited by terry

Ok,.... you go out for a club night and you come back to this.

Chas I do understand that you were "stirring/ joking" but under all that you are clearly driving an agenda

that you think will even up the playing field. We race under that sort of thing all the time here in our

club racing but in the end the fast guys still find a way to be up the top and I don't mean openly cheating.

These guys spend the time to prep their car and chase the 1 percenters. 5 or 6 of them and they have a 5%

advantage. Personally I'm not that interested if this series goes control this and hand out, I'm offski if

that happens and that will mean one less track.

Keith

There's no white fella magic in those cars just well prepped and fettled by their owners, also this round is effectively the home track for these car where they were tested. The cars were driven in qualifying by the track owner who knows his track very well. The race will be a different kettle of fish with 4 different drivers who only get a minute to adjust to each car before they race them. Because the car is fast over a one lap doesn't mean it can maintain it over a whole race.

51116916_10218287821848999_163453587563741184_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl6-1.fna&oh=0e638b9b982ad4c53f2a16d3a723d48c&oe=5D84FE54

The top one is #13 and the lower one is #20 as you can see a very basic chassis. MJK tyres on the back. also note the the SRP speed 18s'. #12 is similar in concept in fact the first one built it has a speed 16 also on MJK tyres. If you think they have such an advantage I'm happy to knock one up for you this week and send it off with the rest of the cars and Alan can send it back with your existing car.

Now can we get on with the round and focus on the race to come.

Cheers Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Terry thanks for the comments always interested in any comments about anything i write on here , firstly my opinion is based on my car here all i have to run on is my own Carrera track which is not bad medium size and kept in good condition , in other words kept clean.

The car is one of 2 both beardog chassis both been modified exactly the same last years car carried the Lotus 24 Climax body is sitting off to my right on the test track , the other the Lotus 24 BRM is the current car there the current one has PG's on it and as you have pointed out yourself along with others how smooth it is they both are but like last years car it,s lacking horse power both using the SRP 16K.

i did a lot of testing with the 16 against the 18 along with others there with you and i found hardly any differance which people there agreed with between them and as i had 16's carried on using it this year.

However the Tassie motor was not in my testing as it was something i had not heard of until this season, so like most of us was unable to obtain one , now i don't mind a new motor being introduced but it should be available to everyone to try it , judging by the first 5 races it looks very good for those who have it .

My personal opinion is we should have ONE motor as we could not have the 16 in my mind the obvious one after all the testing was the 18k SRP so i was quite suprised to see the Tassie motor turn up for the reasons i have already mentioned.

Turning to set up i can set up a car as good as most people i always make sure in any car i build it,s free running , nothing is binding , gear mess is always run in to get a quiet smooth car, as i have mentioned my car is geared the same as most of the top runners.

Tyres i always true and glue and i think my rears this year are just under 20mm not quite sure about that might be a slightly bit less , i use PG's PGT's and when they leave here they are immaculate clean and smooth, what happens there i have no idea, so all the basic box's are ticked.

So we return to motor power , all these cars at least in a straight line should be of similar performance , well in my opinion they are not , looking at the results this year to quote someone there some cars are flyers , why are they flyers?.

Years ago i was talking to Innes Ireland at Goodwood he was driving the UDT Lotus 24 BRM and he mentioned that they were using the same engine as Graham Hill's works BRM but on the straight they were being left behind , and he said he could put his foot down as hard as anyone else and it made no differanc as it was engine power.

I have on my table another Beardog kit which i will cut out modify and once again build another chassis, i,m fated to use these chassis as i can no longer build my own good enough or straight enough , but i can fettle these kits , one problem may be the weight possibly at 70 gr all up my car may be a bit heavy but there again the car is smooth and handles well with this sort of chassis in it, so this one i will be drilling parts of it away to try to get the weight down to say 65gr all up .

Finally in everything i do i try to be competative , never expect to be top of anything but would like to be able to compete, and take on the people who are at the top all the time , but i,m realistic it will never happen, not now been trying to long and realised i haven't got it , haven't got that extra bit they always have , as i mentioned before to be 4 tenths or half a second away from the fastest car in one lap is a killer, just look at the laps at the end of a race. :wacko:

• Upvote 1

Our texts must have been crossing at roughly the same time Lenny , a lot of what you are saying about me is in the answer i gave to Terry, and i have no agenda unlike possibly some of you , note the possibly before you jump, all i ever wanted to do was to try to be competative , in a club as far as i can remember once the fast boys were in control those who were not as good gradually gave up because they could not compete , and so our club shut in 1970, i take some of the blame as i was one of those fast guys then who spent hours a week prepping cars buying extra motors to try to get that edge , so we took our eye of the ball with the one's who came along every week and basically in the end made the numbers up.

Thank you for your kind offer about building a chassis for me very generous of you , but i will decline your offer and have one last throw of the dice next year ( god willing ) before retiring from slot car proxies for good. :)

Hi Phil on the 28th October in the rules Alan said ( that Phil has a supply of these motors arriving soon) , umm after that can't remember seeing anything about you had received them and they were available for all to buy, where did i miss they were available to us.

Hi all. Like Peter I have no hidden agenda but would like to see cars within 5-10 laps. I seem to recall times when that was the case. I have done quite well with my cars over the years so I have no complaints. Just like to be part of the action. The WRP is a good example. I appear to get in one good round each year and the rest are fair to middling but that keeps my spirits up. I agree with what Phil has said about T1790 motor but did not know it was called this until start of proxy. I personally do not like to change motors much so seldom change. I have slotty mates who are forever looking for that extra bit (with new motors) but I also have cars that I have been racing for up to 10 years unchanged that still perform well (some were secondhand to start with). I also would not want one of Lenny's beautiful creations as I am quite capable of building my own. Clearly some of the entrants have regular access to a good testing track. It is my election to stay with my very small Scaly track which hardly gets used (mainly for the grandkids). Best of luck to all and remember there is always next year. Hope you do not leave our group Peter as I am sure you have many good years left. I have been at this business since 1960 between other competitive sports (mainly karting and yachting) and am just as keen today as when I was 14. Now however I have more time. Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)