Thunder Kombi

2 replies to this topic

#1 slotmadmac

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:32 PM

Converting one of the latest Scalextric VW Panel Vans into a good no magnet runner has been on my list, but there is a lot of work to lower the van and the narrow track was always going to be an issue. I'd read somewhere that the Kinsmart VW 'pull back toy' Kombis had moved from metal to plastic bodies, so ordered one to see. They're cheap as chips so worth a punt, but on arrival it still had the traditional die-cast roof; rendering it useless for my needs.

Posted Image

Some frustrated Kinsmart slot car conversion googling led me to Amato slot car design who have released a printed Kinsmart Kombi chassis and a chance email exchange with Angelo from Amato hooked me up with a lightweight Resin Kimsmart Kombi roof. The resin roofs are made by one of his customers. Boom!

Posted Image

The Amato chassis is very impressive. It is perfectly flat and nice and stiff and comes complete with clever body mounts. It's designed to have the tyres outside the standard body so comes with fender flares. The wider track should improve handling no end.

Posted Image

A quick lay up gives this look - but the guards will be lowered on the final model.

Posted Image

Lots more to do.
Podiums are for short people.

#2 Capri-corn7

Metrobro Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:54 PM

Cool project .. How cool sourcing a resin lid... The Dub collection grows...
They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

#3 Pedro51

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:56 PM

Yes I saw these guys at the Slot Festival, they had some interesting stuff, but I only collected contact info. I am starting to realise I am collecting projects faster than I can get to them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users