Mr Slot Cars - Anyone Race Em?

jphanna

Hi guys, with regards to MR SLOT CARS…… They have a nice looking McLaren.

How does it rate with lap times, against the SLOT IT version and an NSR Mosler?

I never seen one at a track before. They look ok in pics.

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

• 3 weeks later...

Well……looks like not many people like these cars.

I asked my local club members if anyone had one, and 2 guys put their hand up. They both hated them…..looking at the chassis and the layout I decided it cant be that bad.

I offered to buy one of the cars of the guy in my club. I managed to give it a test run last night. It was in stock form with just a little bit of ‘fettling’ by the owner. Stock solid rims, and he put BRM tyres on it.

With a Tight pod. And the 2 screws on the flanks of the pod were NOT used. Only the back one and the front one. in that configuration, on bitterly cold night in a shed, it was struggling for grip. Motor was ok, with gradual power delivery, not sledgehammer, but around corners….’the lights were on, but no one home’.

Then I opened the car up, removed the rear pod screw and added the 2 on the flanks of the pod and loosed the body screws just a bit more, then added my slot It air ride rims, with BRM tyres.

Whallah…..where did this come from? Super smooth, hooked up beautifully and got the power down and was a DELIGHT to drive. The lap times suggested it’s a good race car. Would it be better than a nicely set up Mosler? It would be a brave and tough call to say yes…... I will pick up the car in few days and really go through it, and see how it compares at a later date.

Only seen a couple of McLarens run....they were pretty good.

I like the look of their pinions and spur gears.

I bought and sold a Mazda Group C though.

Edited by munter

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Hi Jphanna.

Sorry not to respond earlier. I had intended to. I bought a white Mazda Group C kit when they first came out but everybody here races Slot-it Group C's so while assembled and painted it has hardly hit the track. Like Munter has said however some of their parts were very good. A pity they did not take off. Hobbies Plus in Palmerston North NZ still stock I think.

Will post a photo when I can.

Regards Chas Le Breton

I gave a very well used Mazda 787B GP.C which was a rocket ship. A few years hard racing with a MB Slot Dodo motor wore it out though. Rear wing pretty banged up - I think that are lighter than the Slot.it version.

Easy to set up using pod tuning though. Taught me a lot...

Well I have just yesterday brought home my ‘new to me’…… Mclaren version. It was in my home for about 60 seconds, before I removed every screw and pulled it apart.

The blue printing process will begin tonight after work. Am confident it will be a very fast and smooth racer. The looks dept is not too shabby either

My Local raceway Thunderbirds, will soon be stocking this brand, so I intend to buy the latest version in the not too distant future.

The final instalment in my report into my first MR Slot car.

The car has had a 25KING replace the standard 21 Scaleauto motor. Easy swap as same dimensions. I normally use a 13 tooth at Tbirds but the 11 tooth that come with the scaleauto motor, I transferred it to the KING 25, as I didn’t have a spare 12 or 13 tooth lying around.

I did a bit of trimming around the pod. Bit at the rear of the car to help the body float a bit more.

I had a NSR 25KING corvette to compare with back to back. The vette had a 13 tooth pinion. Stragith line speed and braking were going to be different but I wanted to just see how they compared otherwise.

Both cars had very juiced up N22 tyres. The vette tyres were probably not best out of the 2 cars. Just gone past their peak.

No weights in either car……..

NSR vette was quick, with 13 tooth struggled a bit coming out of the tightest hairpins. (12 tooth should fix that) but sledgehammer down the straights and good mid corner speed and exit.

Moment of truth for what will be the new racing home for the McLaren. 11 tooth bit sluggish on long straight, brakes are lethal with 11 tooth…..turn in exceptional, mid corner, planted, Exit on all but the tightest hairpin, like the vette, a bit of chatter coming out of it. otherwise, predicable and fast. In all it settled down as a very controlled easy to drive car.

It going to be racing in Modern Sports, up against the Sloting Plus ‘Radical’ and Scale Auto ‘GT ONE’ Toyota driven by phenomenal gifted drivers.

The lap times I did in the first test session, with under geared 11 tooth…. suggest I will be sniffing their tailpipes fumes. Whether I can pass them will be another matter. I Just have to wait. But a resounding THUMBS UP for this car.