2019 Tasman Cup Round 3

Stubbo

Hi Stubbo. Great news Alan. Proxies have taken a real beating this year with postal, customs and other delays. Good to see TC still running pretty near to schedule.

Thankless though it is for running proxies not to mention a lot of work for all involved; contestants deserve a reasonable run. I am not a contestant this year but I believe the IPS Proxy has now been going for over a year. While the unexpected can happen organisers need to ensure things run as smoothly as possible.

Hoping to see WRP kick off soon.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Hi Phil.

No criticism of any Aussie Proxy. The OZ Rally, Tasman Cup, Aussie sections of WRP and Touring Car Proxies have always been run well and pretty near on time.

A big well done to all including Mel, you Phil, Stubbo, Stu, Lenny, Gazza, Rossco and Sports Racer for these events. NZ events have also been very good thanks to SlotsNZ and more recently David Carter and all others involved.

Problems have usually been postal or customs (this appears to be an increasing problem) and in North America in particular the weather. Think we need to recognise also that many people have day jobs so this can take its toll at times.

I am sure everybody does their best. You can be assured you have my and I am sure all the competitors support. Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

• 2 weeks later...

Round 3 of the 2019 Tasman Cup was held tonight.

Hosted by myself and Dad at his Mornington Park track.

Drivers were John Batich, Phil Kalbfell and Myself (Adrian Gray)

Qualifying was completed by David Gray.

The quality of the field this year is very good, one of the best proxy fields I have driven. Most cars were very nice to drive and could be pushed without being too worried about odd handling quirks. There were of course a couple of exceptions to this.

John Batich's #88 Brabham was certainly the class of the field. Not quite the fastest, but certainly very nice to drive and was easy to get speed out of it.

Thanks for the brief report Adrian. Looking forward to full results. Hopefully No.5 was not one of the exceptions.

Hoping for lots of photos of cars and track plus useful comments and perhaps a bit of humour (sheep jokes for example).

Thanks AdrianG. Good to see animal welfare on a high in Tassie. Will look forward to Phil's report. I am sure it will be to his usual high standard. Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Pulitzer prize material is his usual standard (no pressure Phil)

The animal welfare is high in Tassie hope the crows are being looked after too LOL

Big Mick

Daves Mornington Park track is based on the original HMCC track from 1967.

It was built by one of the original members,Bob Clayton.

It is only short but does present its own challenges.

Track-1.jpg

Dave qualified the cars after preparing tghe track ready for the night.

Qualifying-Mornington.jpg

The times are a bit slow as Dave ran more laps after qualifying but do give some indication of the cars performance.

Drivers for the night ended up being :

Myself,Adrian and John Batich.

Drivers-Close.jpg

Two others were to drive BUT one slept in after a hard night shift ( Callan) but finally arrived and was photographer for the night.

The other had to return to his business.

Winner.jpg

John Batich's 88 car again proved that it may not be the fastest BUT is very easy to drive and ended up a lap infront of my Lotus with Plugger's Brabham in third.

Race-3-Results.jpg

Surprise car of the night was BrumosRSR Ferrari finishing in fourth place.

The two last place cars both suffered from lack of grip,

while the FPR Elfin had the opposite problem,or maybe it is that high exhaust causing to roll very easy at the in front of the drivers.

Elfin-and-others.jpg

track-3.jpg

In all though there is not really any bad cars in this field, I feel with more tuning and possible motor or gearing change most would be well up the field,well done to all the entrants.

4.jpg

Lennys car at the top of the hill.

9-6.jpg

Second place Lotus 32b of mine,fastest but a bit harder to drive.

12-8.jpg

20-33.jpg

66.jpg

Sainters Brabham,looks like it has been rolled a couple of times!

78.jpg

Manimals Ferrari

Lenny-and-3.jpg

Stubbo,Mick,Lenny and Davids cars about to go under the overpass.

track-3.jpg

Lola and Brabham about to head into the esses.

The cars are now on the way to Terry's track in Newcastle.

Congrats to the top 3 , looking at last years results compared to this year , last year on this track i did 106 laps to finish 6th this year 107 laps to finish 10th the gap between me and 88 is 5 laps , last year with a 16k the winner did 110 this year 88 did 113 with ?, does get a bit frustrating and fed up when you think you are going in the right direction and find out your not, and please where can i buy a Tassie motor to try for next year , given up on this year. :unsure:

Well done to the organiser and his team for a great event.

Cheer up Peter. You beat me. What more could you ask for. While the Tasman 1790 motor may help you have to acknowledge the great builds of the front runners. Cannot be all motor.

I am certainly happy with my mid-field result with 4 year old car and SRP16 motor.

Congrats to podiumites and to Phil for recording fastest time.

A small question though - has John Batich's car got all the prequisite finer details. Perhaps photo does not do it justice.

Thanks for the comprehensive photos of cars and track. Adds a lot of substance to event.

Edited by charlesx

Hi all.

Some useless stats for you to ignore if you wish.

After three rounds of the Tasman Cup the Tasman1790 motor has now filled all the top three places except for Big Mic's great run in R2. I think a pattern is emerging.

Sounding more and more like bring on hand-out motor.

Big Micks car (1800SRP) is the fastest car in a straight line, but it is lacking brakes and is just a little unpredictable at times.

Several of the cars seem to be just last years cars sent back this year with no upgrades or more tuning.

J.B. 88 car has had a lot of development and tuning, he started building well before the event was announced and it certainly shows.

My car was commenced for last years event and only was finished this year,while it did not get much tuning it was based on the last few years knowledge base.

IMO one of the

Big Micks car (1800SRP) is the fastest car in a straight line, but it is lacking brakes and is just a little unpredictable at times.

Several of the cars seem to be just last years cars sent back this year with no upgrades or more tuning.

J.B. 88 car has had a lot of development and tuning, he started building well before the event was announced and it certainly shows.

My car was commenced for last years event and only was finished this year,while it did not get much tuning it was based on the last few years knowledge base.

IMO one of the

Yep spot on Phil in regards to my car, I had well only one test/tune session before it had to be in the SA communal traveling box so went with what was there on the night. It is geared to "tall" when I ran it at FPR I got some times well under SloQuick lap record from last year but it is a bugger to drive had my brakes on my Difalco set to about where they would be for an NSR GT3 car. In my experience Tasman cars can often be run with little to no brake sometimes but alas the high tech engineering firm I contracted to make my chassis went on holiday to QLD (bloody brokespeed) and I got the car when Allan got back and I must say his simple approach makes for a good chassis IMHO but no real time to do much development. For a better than average tuner I am a VERY poor modler I will work on that for the next series.

Congrats to the Podium looking forward to having a drive of these when they come to Adelaide

Big Mick

In the defence of my car this year sent the BRM version instead of the Climax one i used last year , did fit my last brand new SRP 16k into the chassis and ran it in nicely and it was of similar performance to the other car in testing , weight wise that type of chassis does not need added weight, on the scales round about what it should be to get all round performance.

In testing the 16 and 18k SRP motors i didn't find much variation in them , except as mentioned about Mick's car the brakes on the 18 did not seem quite as good as the 16, i have no idea about the Tassie motor, that came as a suprise to me, think we need to look at a one spec motor for future series , but that's for a later discussion.

Build, i,m not in the class of some here , there are some very nice chassis builders in this series and always has been John's 88 is a very nice package , i use a beardog kit which i modify a fair bit to get something out of it that looks reasonably good , and with my increasing arthritis in my finger joints is about all i can manage now , i used to be able to make good f1 chassis years ago but that has now gone.

I try pretty hard to put a good car into the field and i never expect to win anything but would like to be more competative so in that vein could i ask the following.

Would it be possible to get better feed back , for instance at each race could we be told, the following is the gearing there or there abouts for that type of circuit, could we get something about performance eg overall speed , acceleration and brakes, and tyres what works and what doesn't as we all don't use the same tyres.

Ok i know i,m being a pain in the arse , and appreciate the organisers , track owners and the drivers have a lot to do as it is , but i am sure i,m not the only one who would like to see if a increase in the car's performance is possible , but to help me in particular who is at the other end of the planet so have no idea what surface i,m running on i need all the info i can get. :)

Hi Peter

Am new to the Tasman but have been a driver in the SA legs the last two years

I think the Tassie tracks have a similar surface to those in Adelaide a paving paint or some such giving a smooth surface that allow excellent grip for most rubber or urethane I have no idea about the surface on Stubbos track looking back the results there seem to differ from the Tas/SA tracks in terms of which cars perform may be the surface might be another issue like layout maybe Stubbo can enlighten us about the surface. The odd track out is Terry's up in Newcastle ferradore if I am not mistaken. If it is anything like the ferradore tracks here in Adelaide it would be a natural enemy of rubber that is going on to a smooth track like spitfire next. Very corse here in Adelaide and will rough up the surface of the rubber tyres very quickly so next run on a smooth track they will suffer. Alas i have no idea about the "roughness " of the ferradore at Terry's place. Don't mistake me ferradore is good to race on but I have found rubber tyre dont travel so well between the two surfaces. As Lenny Broke will tell you I am a terrible fuss pot when it comes to tyres

In regard to the motors, I was involved in the test cars that ran late last year with the three different motors in the and I found little to no difference then but they were three different cars. I started my test session with the 16k SRP and was able to get better than last years lap record at FPR fitted the 18k and found another .1 so I went that way. I overcame the less brake thing just by turning them up on the old difalco. I dont have a Tassie motor yet but will hit Phil up for one so I can fit that and get the only accurate test result trying it in the same car as the other two.

I could talk at length about what ratio works best HERE but _____ I think from the pictures the tracks here in Adelaide are much bigger with longer straights and faster "sweeper type" corners so finding a balanced ratio across all tracks would be difficult as would a tyre that will suit all tracks. Part of the fun of proxy racing there I think.

But the mighty Grandkids car of a few years ago was shunted aside buy Sloquick last year and it seems JBs 88 is on track to do that again, although I have high hopes No13s long legs will get the job done on those long straights at Spitfire LOL (still got to get round the corner at the end though).

i know John at FPR takes extensive notes on all cars and gives feed back I will talk cars a performance till the cows come home so looking forward to the Adelaide rounds

Mick

Firstly congratulations to the podium finishers, well done!

To see my car finish in 18th and be the slowest qualifier is pretty bad, my finish in round 2 was similar, so for me, it seems that something is really wrong,

I don't build cars that badly, and after being involved in the Tasman for what is now 6 years, this is by far my worst couple of rounds, ever.

When my car left here it was lapping at times which were similar to last years car and although it isn't as good as last years car it was still okay, frankly if it was running as bad as it obviously is I would have put it aside and smartened up last years car and sent that instead.

So right now I'm eagerly awaiting any news as to what might be amiss, because something is not right, the silence on my car is deafening!

My round is next so I will see for myself what the issues are, but to be honest, I would have expected some comments after both this round and round 2.

Mick, my track is not Ferradore, it was originally satin finish enamel but I repainted the track in paving paint about 2 years back my track has a very smooth surface. I hate Ferradore!

My car is running the 16K motor, Phil did send me the "new" motor to test and, as my car was finished I didn't try the motor out till the start of our 1st race. Big difference!

I will be talking to Phil to get me some sent up, there is daylight between the 16K motor and the new ones.

Sorry about the lack of feed back but here are some general comments.

Tyres: Only the two car mentioned have Tyre issues. All the rest have good tyres seems there is little difference between Gage tyres,Tassie and MJK on our surfaces. The MJK even seemed good this year, usually they struggle.

The 16000 motor certainly did not perform well on this shorter track.The 18000 and Tasman 1790 seem to go well. The Tasman motor does not have the Brakes of the SRP. IMO the SRP is best geared at 9:23 or 10:24,

I did test both motors in another car back in January and found not difference in lap times, but the SRP did seem easier to drive st the time. But I only had the one so fitted the Tasman motor to my Lotus.

Both John and I have. ensured that the rear axle has very little friction, this is some thing that Stubbo and SLO have been good at in previous years, there cars have been very smooth in the gear train and axle bearings.

As for handling there is very little between the cars, most handle very well compared to a few years ago, Keith I think your car only needs very minor adjustments and possible gearing change to be a front runner, I use one of these chassis in club racing and they are great handling cars.

Terry you have a PM about yours etc.

P. Daniels new tyres on your car will have that one up the front great car, with crap

Micks car is great but seems geared wrong, probably for the faster tracks.

The change of motors this year will take some sorting of gearing, I remember when we all ran 9/23 or 9/ on the 16k motor then some started testing 10 tooth pinions with good results.

If every one also sullied Stubbo with there specs it may be of some help so all entrants can compare cars.

First of all thanks to Dave and Adrian for hosting Round 3 and well done to John on another win and also to Phil and Plugger on the runner up spots.

Having raced on this track I can understand why some cars didn't show as well as would be expected. If a car has any foibles this is the place where they will be shown up. If a car doesn't like the tight inside corners going over and under the bridge it's going to struggle I reckon.

Personally I'm happy to be inside the top 10 especially after qualifying but once again beaten by the customer cars....grrrr <_<. Next year I'm intending to make time for my own new car to be ready in time.

Cheers Alan

Sorry Terry

"Mick, my track is not Ferradore, it was originally satin finish enamel but I repainted the track in paving paint about 2 years back my track has a very smooth surface. I hate Ferradore!"

I to hate Ferradore and I have mistaken your track for another one from last year I think, had a look at last years pics after I put my fingers in my mouth :huh:

Your surface looks the same as Adelaide/Tassie :wub:

​Am also surprised by the results of your car it was a sweetie last year must be something bent in there somewhere

Regards

Mick

The motors' gone Mick,

Had a word from Phil and it seems the motor is gone, I'll have a look at the car when it gets here for round 4 and see whats going on, I've contacted Stubbo to see what penalties may come my way if I have to put in a new motor.

Can't complain too much, my first motor to go.

The damage is done for this year unfortunately, onto planning for 2020!

Edited by terry