Drifter

Slot Cars In The General Public

I've just spent the last week with my portable 8 laner at a shopping centre.

The amount of seniors both male and female that approached for a chat was amazing. They were thanking me for bringing back childhood memories of slot racing way back in the ~70's. Most returned with the grandkids to give them a chance to experience slot cars. It was quite humbling.

One bloke in particular even came back a second time to show me his cars, all neatly presented in a custom timber carry box. The thing was this one bloke didn't have the freedom of physical movement that most of us enjoy, but still he took the trouble to come down and hang out. Really, really nice guy, his name is Don.

• Upvote 5

www.sydneyslotcars.com

This is an amazing story, I think itd be good to see more of this in similar hobbies, I mean Wargaming for example has its gatherings and such with PAX and the general Cons but you dont often get chances for these to be seen that Im aware of

Jason "The Bruce"

Melbourne

Great yarn and good on you for promoting the hobby. Do you have a pic of your track? Would love to see it.

• Upvote 1

Podiums are for short people.

I've just spent the last week with my portable 8 laner at a shopping centre.

The amount of seniors both male and female that approached for a chat was amazing. They were thanking me for bringing back childhood memories of slot racing way back in the ~70's. Most returned with the grandkids to give them a chance to experience slot cars. It was quite humbling.

One bloke in particular even came back a second time to show me his cars, all neatly presented in a custom timber carry box. The thing was this one bloke didn't have the freedom of physical movement that most of us enjoy, but still he took the trouble to come down and hang out. Really, really nice guy, his name is Don.

Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

• Upvote 1

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Great yarn and good on you for promoting the hobby. Do you have a pic of your track? Would love to see it.

yokahamaSml.jpg

• Upvote 1

www.sydneyslotcars.com

That’s a great storey and offers hope for our hobby even with all the doom and gloom that the forum will die and the hobby is in decline. I often hear about all the men’s shed groups in various suburbs and think this would be a good way to keep the hobby going.

Did anyone see the episode of American Pickers where they looked at a guys slotcar collection and got ripped off on some Ratfink Slotcars?

Thanks for sharing Drifter. Awesome track too.

Does it come apart or can you roll it to trailer?

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

Great track Drifter and such a good idea , we did something similar in 1966 when i was racing at Hornchurch , took the track along to the local Model train exhibition in Ilford and a great time was had by all , and we gained some new members from it..

Think this is what is needed to stimilate interest in slot car racing where ever you race , definitly need some new blood in the sport.

It's interesting how we've become to sensitive or PC to tell someone , "you're last" (nicely).

At my recent event at the shopping centre a young lad asked his mum what place he was on my track. His mum was standing near to me and could see the scores.

"You're coming fourth" she responded.

I said to her softly "everyone's always coming first in the race" with a wry smile.

"No way!, I tell my kids the truth" she said to me looking me straight in the eye.

I thought 'oh sh*t here we go', I'm in for it :-|

An interesting chat followed, it turns out this lady is just a realistic human and loving mum. A teacher whom teaches trade course to apprentices. I was curious as to how she 'manages' the youngsters and their dependence on smart phones, 'tough but fair' to summarise.

She really left an impression.

It's moments like these that restore your faith in human beings :-)

p.s thanks to all for your positive feedback on this thread

• Upvote 1

www.sydneyslotcars.com