Thunderslot Mclaren M6A

Peter Gunn

After much thought i put one of these on pre order , was not really sure if i could justify the price with postage £80-60p , but do like the M6A so here are my thoughts .

I bought the Bridgehampton Can Am 68 car red number 11, straight out of the box , well very nice blemish free red body and very good white piping , decals are also very good nice clear printing including the very small drivers name .

Overall detail is also very good with one exception in my opinion the drivers head does not look right to big, the rear exhaust and gearbox detail is good looks right to me, the body does seem a bit large though width wise , made worse by the front wheels being to far under the bodywork, but easy to widen with spacers.

Chassis componments including the motor are all Lola T70 , wheelbase and track the same as well, not sure if the real cars are identical, wheels are nice good inserts , the rear tyres on mine have large pip marks in the tyre where the pips were removed , otherwise all ok.

On the track, well Thunderslot cars are very good anyway in standard form and this M6A is no differant even with the dodgy tyres goes well and went even better with a replacement set of the same type on the rear.

My final thoughts are it,s a Lola T70 with a M6A body on it and if you like the M6A buy one , but if you want to buy a car just as good the Lola T70 does the job cheaper.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Peter. I’ve got 3 - T70 coupe and spyder and the (orange) M6A.

Chassis dimensions (track and wheelbase) seem to be the same, though the front of the M6A is a little different so not interchangeable.

Compared to the Revell M6A it is much wider, though may still be to scale as they seem to model very different versions of the car.

Performance with the Thunderslot tyres pretty good on wood, though I’ll end up replacing the motor with a 14k Jack Rabbit to meet our class rules.

With XPG tyres and the JR, these cars are simply a joy to drive hard all day, need almost no chassis tuning and are very competitive against a well tuned Fly or SRC running their standard 18k+ motors. While expensive, not more so than the NSR Porsche or SRC once race tuned IMHO in Australia (all come to about $115AUD) in tuned mode (tyres, guide, gears, motor).

Also, I think very similar to the RevoSlot in performance and much cheaper, albeit a different body class).

It seems that manufacturers are going back to what they used to do in the sixties, make one chassis to fit all.

The McLaren and Lola have different wheelbase but similar widths.

But the width should only be around 54 mm.

I run a remould of the Maxi Models M6 and it fits nicely into our 55mm Early Can Am class, as does the Revell/Monogram Version.

Edited by kalbfellp

Chassis dimensions (track and wheelbase) seem to be the same

Chassis componments including the motor are all Lola T70 , wheelbase and track the same as well,

The McLaren and Lola have different wheelbase but similar widths.

so what does it all mean...same or different?

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Hi Phil. I have both but clearly the Thunderslot version is well over width. Have only had for few days so have not even had out of box but will compare as soon as possible. My recollection is Revell M6a is only about 53mm wide whereas Thunderslot lots at least 60mm.

Will try to post picture.

Regards Chas Le Breton

I am not a rivet counter but i have 3 differant makes of the Lola T70 and they are slightly differant in size , out of the 3, SRC, FLY & THUNDERSLOT the latter is built in my opinion to be the out and out racer straight out of the box, the M6A falls in this catagory it,s built to be just that and license in the build has been taken in that way, these cars like so many are not true 1/32 scale replicars and should not be treated as such.

I have had more time with the M6A on the track , which is Carrera and i cannot find an ounce of differance between the Lola or the M6A in fact i can lap my track with either ( now the M6A is run in) in the same consistant times , and the best part with all Thunderslot cars is boy they do go well. :)

• Upvote 1

Hi Peter. I doubt any genuine slot racer should be accused of being a rivet counter. I doubt many if any of the builders of the beautiful machines created for the Tasman Cup Series and some of the other vintage series would make such a claim.

Some of us though do like to keep our cars within the realms of scale so we should be allowed to do so. If this adversely affects performance well that is owners choice. This did not stop me from buying the latest Thundershot creation. The fact it was a McLaren was all the incentive I needed.

Regards Chas Le Breton

As a racer if the scale is close enough then that is good enough for me.

I would rather have a grid of many different cars with similar performance than have a grid made up mostly of the current dominant lowest, widest, fastest car.

So if the M6A and Lola T70 perform roughly the same then that is a good thing isn't it.

Corporate greed is driving inflation.

Cash, use it or lose it.  No Digital Currency, No Digital ID.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been running the M6A for some time and it,s settled down to being a very good car , that motor is quite quick now it,s nicely run in and i,ve put a little weight up front to give more control of the front end which seems to have worked, also wore the tyres on the rear out , easy to do on Carrera track not a lot of ground clearence to start with on the rear.

Fitted NSR Supergrip slicks to it and that has knocked 2 10th's of the lap time.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Building a Mclaren M6 body kit , already finished the chassis which is the hard version and noticed in this body kit there are a few extra pieces , parts for a high wing and a air damm to fit over the higher carb trumpets , which makes me think we are about to see a new M 6 with these parts on