Track #5

6 replies to this topic

#1 Yngwie

V8 Supercar Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:45 PM

Gday guys. Since selling my house and currently building a new one which is a couple of months away, I have decided to start planning a new track which I have immensely missed owning.

The thing I am going to do this time is to build it modular so that if I move again I can take the track with me. Further, I would like to add modules when needed to change the design of the track ever so slightly to add a little bit of interest.

The track will be 4 lanes (talk me out of 5 someone?) and be used for club racing, if the guys want to come. One of the things I really like about simple tracks is the racing element is enhanced. Cars are closer together for longer periods of time which aids in the enjoyment I have in slot car racing.
Haven't settled on a design as yet but one of the options I will have is below.

Posted Image

Looks similar to my last track but this configuration will have 110mm lane spacing with 1/4" braid to allow for 1/24 scale cars.

I like what Mr Trax has done in the following link.

https://mrtrax.com/w...rTrax_Flyer.pdf

Track pieces can be added at will. I prefer the Mr Trax method of legs but I guess the adjustability is a little more difficult using these. Anyone with experience with both types more than welcome to comment as I would love to hear.

The garage is 8m x 7 so a decent space to build a track. As the track will be able to be pulled apart I am going to have a configuration which will use up a LOT of that space.

Anyway, I thought I would keep a journal of the design phase, build etc as I have noticed a fair drop off of activity here, particularly in the track building stage. Also useful for others wishing to jump in and build a track to learn from my mistakes.

Would greatly appreciate any input or comments you might have.

PS. Forgot to add, in my work I deal regularly with joiners and so have ready access to CAD / CNC facilities and the guy we use is happy to draw it up and route for me. I won't miss the dust!

Cheers

John

#2 dangermouse

Kart Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:23 PM

I like the modular idea myself and plan to build a modular track someday (hopefully soon) - while I don't miss running on plastic track I do sometimes miss the flexibility of being able to change the layout.

I have had a look at the J-Trak modular on slotforum - which while it is for scalextric track still gives good ideas. I have also checked out the slotfire modular tracks.

I wish I had ready access to CAD and CNC routing :)

Looking at the track in your photo made me think of Suzuka as a similar layout option

Edited by dangermouse, 08 March 2019 - 06:25 PM.

#3 Caddo

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:14 PM

Best news I've had all week!!

Like it John, would work in both directions, 2 tracks in 1!!

#4 Yngwie

V8 Supercar Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:05 PM

Hi Caddo

Yeah nice to have a track to tune on and another race track for the group. That configuration will be one of 4 I have plans i my head for. Change a piece her and there and a new track is born. Will get a start of sketching up what I want and will post here.

John

#5 Ontheflipside

IQ test result - Negative :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:01 AM

Good news John.
We need a new track to race on :wub:
I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

Posted Image

#6 P. R .

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:59 PM

Finally got your new garage Mate.
Maybe you could do some type of joins like Rick used on his track?
Good to see that you are moving forward champ...

#7 Drifter

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:57 PM

Hey John,
re-modular track, David from BLST did some modular track designs on SF, so maybe worth a look for ideas.

www.sydneyslotcars.com

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users