Ouch Rising Costs

Peter Gunn

On the SRC website they were doing special offers on some of the Chrono range of cars so i thought £27 for a Matra with free postage was a good buy , so i bought one , and then realised i didn't have any SRC cars anymore , the reason being the chassis in the Capri i had was warped.

But then i thought car is cheap enought i'll get the Olifer chassis for it so had a look on Shapeways site and yep there was one so thought great , but then it dawned on me the cost of the chassis , plus postage and vat made it nearly as expensive as the Bloody car at £26-40, then you need a pod for it on top

Moral of this story is think ahead before you buy , ain't nothing that cheap in life. :)

Keith, have a look on Facebook for JS chassis design. Much cheaper than Shapeways and local postage for you.

Amazing variety of chassis too, from old Scalex (Mini, TR7, Rover) to the new stuff and the pod is built-in so no extra cost.

Edited by Sports Racer

May the downforce be with you.

• 2 months later...

As you may know the UK is still part of Europe at least i think we still are, so postage is reasonable , or a least it used to be i was about to order 4 SRP 18k ff motors from MRRC thinking forward on future build in the Tasman proxy as i,m out of 16k's now , so i thought 25 euros was not bad for 4 of them.

So i was about to order them when the postage came up ummm 55 euros on top of the 25 for the motors which made 80 euros, :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: so no order.

when the postage came up ummm 55 euros on top of the 25 for the motors which made 80 euros, :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: so no order.

Shipping is often a deal breaker for me too.

Although I cannot figure out why/how/what/when recently I saw two cars of the same type listed from the same seller.....the unboxed car was 17GBP to ship to NZ but the boxed car was 15GBP....nuts me thinks.

55euro for four motors is a joke...you would expect them to be hand delivered the next day for that.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

No one goes to the shops anymore - no one posts letters anymore - the Post Office isn't making money delivering letters anymore but has worked out everyone buys online. So the cost of parcels just keeps going up and up.

US can be the worst though most of Europe is the same. Germany is my peach for postage. For 16 euro I can get a car shipped that has no insurance, no tracking and takes anything from 2 weeks - 3 months to arrive or I can choose a different service that for 11.50 I can get registered post with insurance and around 14 days shipping though the last parcel arrived in 7 days.

At least our wages are going up to compensate!!

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

• 1 month later...

Wanted a couple of motors from slot car corner , price of motors $12-99 US dollars each making a total of $ 25-98 for the 2 , then i pressed calculate shipping from USA to UK up popped one price US postal $53-98 :o , last time i did this in April it was $14-99 .

So decided to buy a couple over here instead , may not be quite what i wanted, but was not going to pay over double in postage the cost for 2 motors. :angry: :angry: :angry: .

Hey guys, I usually avoid "the dirty commercial thing" here on forum, but if there are regular items that you buy from SCC that freight is a problem, I could have a chat with Steve and Bob.

They may not be able to give me any dealer discount on the items, but if I throw them into an order I have coming down coming down, I should be able to pass on at a workable kiwi peso basis, and come out the righter side of evener, and provide a faster and cheaper delivery servicer......

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

As at 8am this morning still the quote for postage is B high i wanted to order 2 motors combined cost is $ 25-98 USD, they are offeing one price as regards mail to the UK and it quotes $53-10 USD by USPS International , and there is a possiblity on top of that total which comes to $79-08 USD I will have to pay customs here of approx £17 of which £8 of that is PO handling, making my 2 motors somewhere around $100 USD well i ain't gonna B well pay that for 2 motors , if you all want to check up on this by all means do so it,s there in B&W. :angry:

US postage is generally expensive. They probably have high insurance excesses, worried about their many global enemies.

As we are an ally, would have thought we'd get a discount at least :)

I'd hate to be an Iranian slot car enthusiast buying from US suppliers, shipping costs might be a tad exorbitant.....

Hi Folks

It's not just rising costs that are problem but also of inexplicable policy towards postage costs by some auction online sites.

Recently I was interesting in buying several spare parts from a seller online. The seller declared that a one-off postage charge

would apply for multiple purchases.

Having added several items to my shopping cart, I noted that the total was$117-odd comprising $51.00 for the parts and $66.00 for postage.

I then set about requesting an amended total from the seller but was blocked by the online site with a pop-op declaring "You can't

request a total because the seller has offered a discount on some items".

Some discount! Saving a paltry $1.30 was going to cost me an extra $55 in postage.

I then removed the 'discounted' items from the shopping cart but the system would still not allow me to ask for an amended total.

Result? I abandoned my intended purchase.

This saga brought to mind an instance from a couple of years ago when I purchased some very small repro parts from the UK. Being an EBay novice at that stage I

committed to the purchase expecting to be able to get a combined postage discount but was informed by the auction site that "the seller does not offer combined postage".

One wonders whether it is the seller that is preventing a combined postage rate or the auction site?

Incidentally when the very small, very light, very expensively-posted parcel arrived someone in my office made the comment "Someone has sent you an empty box!"

Den

Big Den I had a similar problem when I was buying multiple slot products from a seller some time back.

I added the product to the cart with the knowledge that all the parts would be the one postage cost but the Ebay system wouldn't allow it.

Something silly like $100+ postage for the multiple parts.

Contacted the seller who was just as annoyed with Ebay as I was and he rectified the situation for me.

So yes, I think you will find that it is the Ebay system which prevents the combined postage.

Matt