jphanna

Carerra - What Happened?

monza.jpg

Well what a surprise…..last time I bought a Carrera, it had a very nice looking body and once that was removed, the chassis was just a slab of flat warped plastic that required countless hours to get a decent race car out of it.

Got this baby yesterday from Thunderbirds, and once I opened it up, was pleasantly surprised to see that it appears that someone in the design team has joined the company that enjoys racing. Its no NSR or Slot It but they have made an attempt to introduce aspects of ‘tuneablity’ this the chassis.

I only pulled it apart so far but there is adjustment items included in the packaging to raise or lower the chassis and it looks like I will need to rethink what I do before I tackle it. Whopper wood track guide flag included, and a smaller plastic track one as well. the chassis it self looks strengthened throughout and it also has a removable pod for motor and rear axle.

In the end I don’t know how long it will take to set it up for my club rules, but I am very optimistic that it will be a good runner.

Well done Carrera!!

Edited by jphanna
  • Upvote 1

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

When you get time JP, a photo of chassis would be great. cheers

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Hi Mate, I got the car late at night and stripped all the digital stuff and threw them into the bin. Bushes are out, motor is out, axles and wheels are ditched, to be replaced with NSR items. Chassis pod is out. May not be an accurate vision of what an ‘untouched’ one will look like.

This car should be legal to run against

Mustangs

Cuda

Javelin

Falcons

Toranas

Camaros

Etc as Allan Moffat and Bob Jane both run MONZA in Australia against other tourers.

Sounds interesting, will be watching closely to see how it progresses.

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Johanna you are wrong,the Chev Monsanto was run as a Sports Sedan/GT car and never raced as a Touring Car or Improved Production Car.Yes there is Chev Monza running in TCM now but it doesn’t run the big rear wing.

Hi Tony, I know where you are coming from and don't disagree in the real world of racing. currently in 1/32, people are running the old Bob Jane Camaro, used in Sport sedan races in early 70's, along with the Moffat Falcons, cougars, cudas, of the early and late 70's. the 2 classes in the real world......were very separate, but in 1/32 racing, that whole era up to about 1978 are all mixed into one class at our local raceways. The Monza is a 1975 model. There are several cars that cross the boundaries of the touring cars v Sports sedans in 1/32 classic touring cars racing. The Chev CORVAIR is another used by frank Gardiner in Australia in sport sedan racing. although that hasn't been made into a slot car yet, but his earlier Camaro has, and is being used as touring car. If the Corvair was ever released, then it....along with the Monza should be included. if the current crop of cars are allowed.

If you can get away with it, good for you :)

Great to see a Monza getting pimped.

I build one up years ago for the (defunct) second US Group 5 proxy, sculpting new front and rear sections, and re shaping the doors. Add a brass chassis and off you go.. I never finished the livery but jeez it was pretty.

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

moffat%20monza.jpg[/url][/img]

however.....the WING on the carrera verion is hideous, and i woudl like to remove it.

Edited by jphanna

David, i can see

1 tiny circuit board

few wires that i chopped off the circuit board

4 brand new weird looking standard braids

send address.....

:) "stripped all the digital stuff"

​looking at the photo on my computer and not my phone - that isn't a digital car they come in a blue case. So don't think that is digital stuff after all. Does the circuit board have an LED on it? If not it is an analog board - they are used for the lights and you can change the polarity so the car can run in both directions on the track

cheers

David

well that confirms the fact i have never seen a digital car. sorry mate.