2019 DTM Classic

SlotsNZ

Get ya game face on guys. I can now confirm dates for the DTM Classic, which will again be hosted by Thunder Road Raceway Hastings.

DTM%20Poster%202019-960.jpg

• Upvote 1

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Best news yet!!!

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

• 2 months later...

Update

The burning question for several of you - About “That Mercedes

ca44a-1.jpg

http://youtu.be/DA5AOtGMA9s

As many of you know, I held off updating the rules from last year, as I wanted to get a sample of the new DTM Mercedes 190e,

which will be available in time for the race. This arrived last Monday, and I have been able to take it’s vital statistics,

set it up as per the 2018 rules, test it without any additional weight, then with a little weight.

The car in the picture and video above at Nuremberg Toy Fair and the Italian Verona Toy and Model show, is now resident at Oakland Raceway

Here are the critical statistics I feel mainly determine the handling

carstats.jpg

Last year I used a small allowable weight addition for all three Alfa models, but no weight in the Opel because the Opel was lower,

and a littler wider than any of the Alfas. In the final results we had 2 Opels then two Alfas, then two more of each making up the top 8 cars.

The Mercedes comes in with a just fractionally wider track than two of the Alfas, and about the same cabin height of all 3 models of Alfa,

and unweighted does the same laps times as them unweighted, .... and is a little tippy like they are unweighted.

After adding weight I have it’s lap times are sitting mid way amongst the 4 Alfas I have set up, quite easy to drive, and 0.05 a lap slower than my Opel on my track.

So keeping things simple, the Mercedes will compete with the same weight additions as are permitted for the Alfas. 77 grams max car weight.

Slot.it have also advised the cars won’t be available until the beginning of June. I will have them here within a week of their unpacking in Italy,

but that only gives entrants 2 – 3 weeks for tuning them.

This should be sufficient, and tweaks can be done during practice, but just be aware of the tighter than expected time frame.

Link to rules and entry form here

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Hi Mark. Will read above with interest but hope you get together with Nelson and Wellington as last year we had a 3 way clash. Possibly Wellington is not going to happen this year (magnet meeting) although I have not heard officially. Date is already out for Thunderslot event in Nelson in October.

Regards Chas Le Breton - charlesx

Edited by charlesx

Hope you and Paul can make it across Chas. - Last years clash was Nelson Enduro v Wellington's meet. I don't know how that happened.

Tony and I coordinated our event dates a few months ago and put them out so everyone could set aside - also allowing for the prospective dates for the Nationals. I haven't heard anything from Mike about his Wellington event dates as yet.

Hi Mark.

Should not be a problem now as I had not read properly. I will certainly encourage Trent to go again and I am thinking of going myself. I have the Alfa I built for last year so just needs a bit of tuning. Has hardly been run.

Not sure about Paul as he is fairly tied up with 1/24th and he has no such cars. He has lost interest in RTR apart from local racing. Has just done 12 hour endure and we will both go to 1/24th Nats in September but he has trouble arranging around his work.

Regards Chas Le Breton

• 2 weeks later...

no Mercedes no Dave

I raced Piebone's Alfa for him last year

I was thinking of entering with the Mercedes but not now

I should be there to marshal etc

my budget only covers buying one DTM car so I will only buy the one that I really want

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

• 1 month later...

I really haven't been keeping this thread updated. Below a copy of the newsletter just sent out

Just five weeks to go. I am pleased to say the entries have continued to come in since the last newsletter, and we now have at least the same number of traveling entries as last year. I know there are at least three more possible travelers pondering entry, so if you are one of their club mates, give them a nudge – big nudge. I am pretty sure I have all entrants on this mailing list, but if you are in a club with other members coming - would you mind checking with them next club night that they have received this update.

I have noticed on my own fleet of DTM cars that with the short body screws which are fitted as standard, a couple are beginning to have the screws work loose in the body post.

So if you are finding that is a problem, - or just want to use longer screws, feel free to substitute those body screws with either the longer (older style) Slot.it body screw or an after market one. – I have a few styles under the SlotRaceShop house brand, the 2.1mm or possibly the 2.2mm ones would be best. The 2.5mm one is two large and would split the body post.

Any travelers who are in town on the Thursday night, are most welcome to join us for club night, and get some track time.

On the Friday, track time practice preference goes to visitors. We will then qualify Friday early evening before heading off for the evening. Nothing formal planned for dinner.

As per last year, there will be free tea and coffee and biscuits all weekend, and cold drinks and food snacks for sale at $1 on an honesty box system.

Lunch is provided Saturday, by the now inter-galactically famous “Race Catering”

As advised earlier, we are having the Saturday night dinner in Napier this year, as it is closer and easier for the majority of travelers, who are staying in Napier - a lot at Kennedy Park Holiday Park.

The dinner will be held in the private functions room of Thai Chef restaurant, 110 Taradale Road Napier. It is two minutes drive from Kennedy Park.

All wives/significant others are very welcome and encouraged to come. The cost is $35 per head.

It is a three course banquet. Entrees followed by a luscious range of six different mains on shared plate service, three of which are signature dishes of what I consider our best Thai restaurant – we dine there often. Followed by desert. It will be a feast.

Drinks your own care – they have a full bar and their prices are reasonable.

I will need to advise final numbers by the Friday, so the sooner you can let me know who is coming the easier it will be – thanks.

For locals who may know their menu, we have haggled a change to their banquet range, at about 20% off retail, one full main allowance per booked person, to include some of their unique goodies.

Mixed Entrée, then mains of

- Black Pepper beef

- Bangkok Showtime

- The Cashew Nuts

- Naughty Pig

- Pad Thai noodles (chicken)

- Duck In Love

- Rice

And Desert

• 2 weeks later...

Two entries in today, and we are now up to 22. Can we fill the max 24 field??

One had to pull out, but two more late entries in this week from BOP and Welliewood, so we have one spot on offer if there is a traveler out there who would like to join us in the Mac-Cave.

Woohoo, just one week until Mac's Thunder Road opens for the DTM, and we have a full field - but still happy to take entries.

Any travelers to the Bay are very welcome to join us for Club night the night before. - Thursday 4th July.

We will be racing at Oakland Raceway - my place, home of the SlotRaceShop

We will be racing

Week 1

1 BTCC (British Touring Cars Championship) - [ Modern era Scalextric models - MG6, VW Passat, BMW 125, Honda Civic Type R]

2 Muscle Cars

3 1965 to 1980 sports

I have spares of classes 1 and 3 in case any visitor needs one

Last years competitors will be pleased to know that the slot cave has a new roof so there's no need for wet weather tyres in 2019. The bucket racing era is over.

The weather Forecast suggests we are lucky Mac has supplied a new roof for “Thunder Road Raceway”.

A bit from the Saturday Racing

http://youtu.be/npx-653Pw9E

dtm001.jpg

This photo has been forwarded to National Police Headquarters, as their facial recognition software should be able to identify exactly who is wanted for what

dtm004.jpg

dtm005.jpg

L to R - Rob from Wellington Marshaling, Rhys from Pahiatua, Mike from New Plymouth, Paul from HB Club, Richard from HB Club

dtm006.jpg

L to R - Alan from Rotorua, Tony from Whakatane, Peter from HB club and Malcolm from Papamoa

dtm002.jpg

Scott from Wellington in 3rd place

dtm007.jpg

Mike Doo getting Mac's prize for Concours

dtm003.jpg

P1 for the big guy

Great shots Mac, you capture the essence so well.