50 replies to this topic

#41 GRUNZ

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:16 AM

View PostPeter Gunn, on 13 January 2019 - 06:09 AM, said:

You head into the garage turn the light on and take the covers of your track , see who's around usually a few spiders down by the bottom bend , do make some nice web's there.
You turn the power on listening to the echo of silence, and get a slot car out of the box and all on your own you race against the clock trying to improve the time you last did with that car, and sitting on the stool you remember times past when there was the sound, of people in there the gossip normally about slot cars , laughing , swearing and the general noise, now just the sound of the wind rattling the door occasionally.
It is soon time to switch of leave the spiders to remake their web's put the covers back over it and turn the light off and head back to where the boring telly is, and yes it,s B frustrating. :unsure:

This is the best bit that I have ever read from you.
It captures really well the mood.
Cheers
G

"I am an expert at the top of my field when mowing the lawn".

#42 GRUNZ

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:21 AM

View Postbranco, on 13 January 2019 - 07:14 AM, said:

It's a dark and lonely place Munter....be thankful that you have the opportunity to finish mid pack on a club night....oh how I yearn to finish mid pack.
I often wonder how many slot cars I could buy if I didn't have to fork out so much of my well earned dosh on petrol to travel so far to race meetings.
Last Friday I ventured to Nelson (5 hour round trip) for an hour long test and tune session. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed it, but that's the price I pay for my addiction/passion.

Branco I feel your pain. I have to travel half-way through the globe to get to race digital on large circuits.
But all in all I am very lucky.
I have a solid digital group here: after two years and 10 different classes we are still enjoying SSD.
And then there is the Oraki analog group which keeps things interesting.
Cheers
G

"I am an expert at the top of my field when mowing the lawn".

#43 Sports Racer

V8 Supercar Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:27 AM

I feel a bit privileged being a member of 4 slot car clubs in Canberra and racing twice a week on 12 different club tracks with another track to be built in a couple of months. There's also another 5 tracks at the commercial raceway.

They are an hours drive from home but I work in Canberra anyway so not out of my way.

But I do have it tough - a total of 48 classes including trucks so a lot of cars to setup. :D

Edited by Sports Racer, 14 January 2019 - 09:40 AM.

May the downforce be with you.

#44 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,621 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:37 AM

View PostSports Racer, on 14 January 2019 - 09:27 AM, said:

But I do have it tough - a total of 48 classes including trucks so a lot of cars to setup. :D

No wonder we don't see you on forum as much these days :lol: :lol: :lol:
Slots addict 1st class * Inaugural and undefeated "Pie-Bone 400 champion" For of course, team "We Don't Gloat" * Slot.it Shootout Champion 2015 * Harmon Memorial Winner 2017 * Lathe Addict Extra-ordinaaire * Itinerant Mediterranean cuisine junkie * Hobbit 3rd class * Legend in my own imagination * Classic quote for 2019 "whaa whaa whoo, where is I " * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club intro on Youtube

#45 Sports Racer

V8 Supercar Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:50 AM

So busy.

Enduro tonight, racing at Way2fast tomorrow and with the Scalextric Club on Friday.

My wife is getting suspicious about all the late nights. Should I tell her its another woman so she only yells at me once?

How about I tell her I'm seeing her sister? That should be OK.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by Sports Racer, 15 January 2019 - 11:51 AM.

May the downforce be with you.

#46 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,621 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:52 AM

View PostSports Racer, on 15 January 2019 - 11:50 AM, said:

So busy.

Enduro tonight, racing at Way2fast tomorrow and with the Scalextric Club on Friday.

My wife is getting suspicious about all the late nights. Should I tell her its another woman so she only yells at me once?

How about I tell her I'm seeing her sister? That should be OK.

Cheers

Paul

man with a death wish
Slots addict 1st class * Inaugural and undefeated "Pie-Bone 400 champion" For of course, team "We Don't Gloat" * Slot.it Shootout Champion 2015 * Harmon Memorial Winner 2017 * Lathe Addict Extra-ordinaaire * Itinerant Mediterranean cuisine junkie * Hobbit 3rd class * Legend in my own imagination * Classic quote for 2019 "whaa whaa whoo, where is I " * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club intro on Youtube

#47 Big Mick2

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:10 PM

View Postslotmadmac, on 09 January 2019 - 06:49 AM, said:

View Postmunter, on 08 January 2019 - 05:59 PM, said:

The 65 to 80 class in our group....needs a Thunderslot to be on the podium....I dont have one.

Do I or dont I spend the cash?

I know you are putting this thread out as a teaser - and good job too given there is so little new content on Auslot these days - but my view is that you do whatever you want to do.

Me? I am quite happy to win races and while I have been winning that 65-80 class with a Thunderslot recently, I used to win it with a NSR and, from memory, a Slot It before that. I could still podium with a Slot It or a NSR but race the Thunderslot because it's a dream to run. It makes me feel good and winning races wth a Thunderslot is not a bad thing. In fact I recommend it. You should try it.

The thing is that in our group there are really only 3 or so serious racers who put in the effort to get fast running cars. I suspect that a lot of smaller racing groups are like that. In the same way that you question why you need the latest brand to go fast, I question why most of our guys turn up week after week without trying to set up their cars to the best of their capabilities. I don't mind that they don't seem to care. I just don't understand it.

To me the best part of this hobby is not the actual racing. To me the most satisfying part is making a car go as good as I can possibly make it go. That's why, in our group, I promote so many events racing B for Basic cars so we can prove to each other how well cars can run if you put in some effort. I get more fun from these events that from any Slot It or Thunderslot races - that's for sure.

Anyway, apologies for the diatribe, but in my view racing the latest brand is in no way a bad thing. It's progress. Without being too big headed (is that even possible...) I think I could podium in our 65-80 class with a scalextric. Just to be a real prick I might start campaigning one to prove my point.

Bottom line? Just do what makes you happy. JK has ammased about 6-7 Thunderslots now. Does that make him the enemy? No. It just makes him broke.

Cant help but agree here

Here in Adelaide many have the thunderslots including me but the fastest classic in the state would be an NSR in fact many NSRs all belong to a renown car tuner ( Dennis Miller ). Better tuning will make any car competitive as for the GT3s the R series Scale auto are serving the beans to the Sideways Lambos big time.
Some are harder to tune than others its true , for me this is a side of the hobbie I adore racing comes second to car tuning I only race them to see if I have improved the car LOL.
Yes winning comes hand in hand with car improvement recently got a open top slot it alfa down to lap record pace in the classic class felt a great sense of achievement so i guess I dont agree with the premise that you need a certain car to win it just makes it easier.
Mick

#48 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,621 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:53 PM

Dear Mick

since you enjoy tuning so much, am sending by post today, 350 cars that need a tickle.
Feel free to return a batch of 50 each week until done

sincerely

lazy

#49 Big Mick2

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:11 PM

View PostSlotsNZ, on 24 January 2019 - 12:53 PM, said:

Dear Mick

since you enjoy tuning so much, am sending by post today, 350 cars that need a tickle.

sincerely

lazy
Will do $10 a car in Advance LOL

#50 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,621 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:37 PM

View PostBig Mick2, on 24 January 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

Dear Mick

sincerely

lazy

Sure, you're welcome to send me $10 a car for the sheer pleasure of being able to . . . . ohhhh, you meant i pay you..... - I'll get back to you.

#51 Big Mick2

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:23 AM

View PostSlotsNZ, on 24 January 2019 - 02:37 PM, said:

View PostBig Mick2, on 24 January 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

Dear Mick

sincerely

lazy

Sure, you're welcome to send me $10 a car for the sheer pleasure of being able to . . . . ohhhh, you meant i pay you..... - I'll get back to you.

Thought you might look at it like that :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users