New Members...are There Any/

munter

It is a software problem John. They need Jacob to do some upgrade so people can register themselves as previously

Meanwhile Vinno has to arrange their setups.

I have recently done requests for 3 our our own new guys - Richard, Rod and Paul, and a couple of others requested which VInno has set up.

I have just put Wingman through to him.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

• 2 weeks later...

I will see if we can get an Auslot email working so it sends out to us. Adding a personal email on a forum might not be a good idea. Will come back on this.

Yes, I didn't mean to use a personal or important email address, since its going to end up full of all sorts of useless junk, possibly malicious. Better play it safe!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update all, Vince, Jacob and I have been looking at a software upgrade which hopefully would resolve the current problem.

In attempting to complete the upgrade we ran into problems with upgrading the SQL Datebase. We have been unable to update it using system tools and the suggestion was to try and update it from the Command Line .

Jacob is looking at installing a copy of the database off line on a local pc however as with all things it is not this simple you need to also install a copy of the Web Server to simulate production.

Apologises for the time it has taken but it is a bit of one step forward and then we find another problem to deal with.

Charlie

• 1 month later...

After seeing all the issues two other Forums have had with upgrades it is great that you guys are taking your time to try and get it right.

Thanks.

As an old school broadcast tech I totally appreciate this. A bit of caution saves a station from going off air, same for a forum it seems.

Well thanks for bringing this up again.

Phil didnt look back on this one....

I dont know what forums he is referring to but I have given up reading SCI...that one was falling apart for me and the owner pisses me off, so no brainer there.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

• 5 weeks later...

Huge thanks to @Vinno for helping me set up, new to the forum and to the hobby.

I did have a cheap set as a kid (no idea what brand or what happened to it but doubt it was one of the major brands). Stumbled back across this hobby a week or so ago while watching James Mays Toy Stories and... Really keen to get into it.

• Upvote 1

Jason "The Bruce"

Melbourne

Welcome aboard Jason

- You can just ignore the "nutters" here if you want - but that may leave no one left to talk to, so you may as well just settle into the general insanity

• Upvote 1

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Great to see a new member posting here.

Good story, Jason.

I've written it a few times now my experiance thus far since the TV show consists of searching youtube for things to watch and tempt myself with lol

I suspect Im coming from a similar angle to most people, except I found it much later in life (36)

Welcome aboard Jason

- You can just ignore the "nutters" here if you want - but that may leave no one left to talk to, so you may as well just settle into the general insanity

No insanity here, the voices in my head told me so :)

Nice to have another member. I haven't been here all that long myself, so welcome Jason, from another relative newbie.

Glad to know I'm not alone in my green-ness

Jason "The Bruce"

Melbourne

• 1 year later...

I was just having a look at the stats for new membership on the forum

Last month we had 6 new members join and this month so far we have had 9 new members. Looks like things are picking up with regards new membership

Good news

Charlie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, hello all.

I have have just signed up. It took awhile for the registration page to load up. So long infact that I was beginning to think the forum must be dead. Lucky I persevered. Mind you, our internet connection gets a bit iffy at time so it could just be that.

My story... Like most I had slot cars as a kid. My first was a battery powered figure 8 set that I played with for hours on end until the batteries went dead, The olds eventually got sick of buying batteries and the slot car set went "somewhere". I did have a Group 20 womp womp with a lexan EH Holden body that I used to race at a track in Sydney's CBD. Then skateboards, pushbikes, surfing, girls, motorbikes and cars took over my thought processes. A guy with a car seemed to get more girls so they eventually took over for a while. 

I built quite a few old Holden street cars and helped mates with their cars. Started with a HK premier. A HQ kingswood. A HQ SS Monaro. A couple of Statesmans and a HZ one tonner. All gone now but I still have a "project" in the shed.

In between cars I somehow got back into slot cars and ended up with a few AFX sets and a heap of cars. That went by the wayside when I started racing dirt bikes again and the AFX lot got stolen from a mates place.

A few years ( too many to think about) have passed and I now find myself with too many old injuries for dirt bikes and climbing under and over cars in the middle of winter in rural Victoria. That led me to rediscovering slot cars. I now have a few Scalextric sets and a heap of AFX as well. I've also rediscovered that I have a thing for street based slot cars and have a few US muscle cars in 1:32 scale. All the AFX (well most) cars are "race" cars although there are other brands of street cars that are all US based muscle cars and they cost a small fortune to get to Australia. The bodies don't fit the chassis very good either with wheels sticking out everywhere and the bodies way up off the ground. I want cars that look like the real thing! Seems the US guys are more interested in going so fast that you can barely see the cars going around the track over having realistic looking cars.

So that idea has led me to developing a new 1/64 scale chassis that will fit under a realistic muscle car body. The chassis works pretty good but being more narrow than the usual 1/64 chassis, it's not quite as fast which doesn't worry me as the standard 1/64's are ridiculous fast and stick to the corners like nothing else. At least my chassis needs some "technique" to drive quick. I'm waiting for this Covid thing to settle so I can get some injection molded chassis made up rather than the resin ones I made for proof of concept.

Well, that's my story for now. I'm here to learn and meet new people with similar interests so thanks for having the forum.

Cheers

Mark

• Like 2