1/24 Scale Lotus 49B.

lenny broke

Hi Guys

I thought that while things are quiet (quieter?) around here that I 'd post this thing for your perusal.

I occasionally have a bit of a dabble in 1/24 scale racing and hadn't built something like this before. I started the build late last year for a race at one of the tracks that I attend but ran out of time to complete it. I decided to revive the project in the week before this years event (as I'm prone to doing) and this time got it finished in time, but alas didn't get to race it due to a lack of entries for the class, so hopefully next year.

It's a single rail chassis constructed of 1/16" piano wire and 1/16" K&S brass stock with a retro racing motor/ gear box with plafit pinion and crown wheel. The gear was reversed on the hub to allow a better fit in the gearbox. Motor is the specced BRM 22500rpm motor with specced MJK wheels and tyres. Body is a Sunset Lotus 49B in vacformed polycarbonate from Thunderbird Slotracing.Drivers bust is an MJK Item I believe. and the guide is a jet guide left over from my flexicar days. As you can see the spray job ain't great but was a bit rushed, maybe I'll do another better one someday.

IMG-4861.jpg

IMG-4862.jpg

IMG-4863.jpg

Edited by lenny broke
  • Upvote 1

113313.jpg

I certainly don't want to take away your work on the Lotus 49 Lenny, but its nice to be able to share my hornsby builds from some 10 our 12 years ago, back then I raced regularly at Hornsby in the Vintage series, it started me on the scratch build thing and although my cars weren't dynamic I certainly enjoyed the builds, chassis were quite similar to yours, however my choice of motor was the fox

Edited by terry

No worries Terry,

Mine was a quick and dirty 2 stage build albeit over a year. At some stage I'll re-body it with more detail.

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Hi 'Lenny' and others on the Forum.

I was always a fan of the 60s 'Slimline' F1 cars and even when FlexiKars were the way to go from the early 1990s I liked to scratch-build or modify existing chassis to be able wind the clock back to the mid-1960s.

The brass 'Sprints Plus' (Mini Sprint) 1/32 chassis was a great starting point ... solder some 1/16 ID square tubing to the sides of the chassis, then cut it and extend the wheelbase with 1/16 brass rod.

Reinforce with a piece of brass plate between the two sections then fit one of the excellent F1 bodies available from Sunset or Wheeler bodies in those days. My last '49' was sold on eBay early in 2018 and was powered by an original blue-wire 26D.

Although my current involvement is mainly 1/32 racing with the HMCC group in Hobart I still have a few Marusan Sharknose Ferraris and Lotus 25s (???) including the one I ran in the first Adelaide Grand Prix back in 1996. Or was it 1997?

Last year, included in a box of Scalextric track and cars that I bought, were two more 1/24 Lotuses ... one a standard 'pink' Marusan with original number stickers intact, while I have an idea that its light blue partner is a Yonezawa.

Apparently Yonezawa was a a Japanese toy company that only ever produced two model of slot car.

Big Den

Hi Den,

I think we've met down in Hobart, as I always catch up with the Hobart Guys on a race night when I visit the South Island. We were last there in May & September last year. I also mainly do 1/32 but occasionally "upsize" so to speak.

I like to build in the old style but not averse to using modern parts which may offend some "purists" but I enjoy what I do.

We're not planning on going to Tassie this year as yet, but may be tempted when the Baskerville Historics draws closer.

Cheers,

Alan