22 replies to this topic

#1 Percy

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:16 PM

Hello,

So we all need to start somewhere and this is mine so far. Knocked up a basic table 4m x 1.8m to use. Looking into getting some different radius bends and some borders pieces to make the most of the area available.

Started taking the magnets out and playing with tyres to get them back up to speed. Heaps more enjoyable and rewarding driving

Posted Image

Edited by Percy, 27 August 2019 - 02:03 PM.

#2 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:15 PM

If you decide you would like to look at some wood analogue tracks feel free to contact me for info on our race nights.

#3 Percy

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 01:55 PM

Yes would be nice to come have a look and get some tips from the pros

#4 Sports Racer

V8 Supercar Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:24 PM

So when are you coming up to Canberra?

Sorry Phil, couldn't resist. :D
May the downforce be with you.

#5 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:17 AM

Paul do you need some more set up info?
My daughter is back in CanberraI can probably get her to come and show you some of my tricks,

Edited by kalbfellp, 18 December 2018 - 10:19 AM.

#6 Sports Racer

V8 Supercar Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:46 PM

That's OK Phil, we no longer use 36D's but thanks for the offer.

#7 difinity

Difinity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:46 PM

Go on Phil - Paul needs all the help he can get (running and ducking, he said) :-)

#8 Sports Racer

V8 Supercar Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:33 PM

I know where you live Tony. ;)

#9 difinity

Difinity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:28 PM

Yes but you havenít been here yet!

#10 Percy

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:29 AM

Posted Image

Bit of a update

Tried to open the track up with track sections I have on hand, somewhat better flowing now

Edited by Percy, 27 August 2019 - 02:04 PM.

#11 Percy

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:57 PM

Posted Image

Edited by Percy, 27 August 2019 - 02:02 PM.

#12 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:27 PM

Hi Percy.

Your last version looks much improved. Those wide radius curves are great. Urethane tyres work really well on Carrera track. Did not know magnets worked on Carrera track as power rails stainless steel. Once you get used to non-magnet you will not want to go back to magnet.

For those other Tassie and Canberra interlopers I am glad they still have some sense of humour left.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx) East Island.

#13 Percy

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:39 AM

Hey Charlesx,

The track is a lot of fun to drive on now, still room for improvements though. I feel limited by the width and keeping the track from overlapping on top of itself is a challenge.

Yes a little humour can go a long way to keeping sane haha

So at the moment I am using the Carrera Ford Torino no mag, MJK tires and a little weight. The cars are great fun having four on the track and being all the same make for some great fun.

The Fords do seem to deslot at times when pushed hard, they come out of slot mid to 2/3 corner would this be due to high weight? The cars seem to grip up fine, i added extra weight and removed the tires to sit the guide hard on rails but no real improvement. Not to sure where to go with them but at least they all do the same thing.

Cheers

#14 Slotspeed

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:32 PM

Hi Percy,

As a fellow Carrera racer at home, I am not sure how I missed your posts until now. I like all three of your layouts, they are clever use of the track along with its limitations as well as the space you had to use. The first one looked quite good since you only had R1 curves, you did quite well. The second one looks like it could have used a minor tweak and the third looks good, looks like it would be a lot of fun. On your question of them deslotting partway through the turn... I had one particular Carrera car (digital 917k) that was slightly top heavy (no mag). I spent lots and lots of time on it. I tried different rear wheels, tyre profiles and all sorts of things. It also had annoying stub axles on the front end and in the end the thing that made the most difference was painting the front tyres with superglue and then doing a rough job of trueing them (without proper equipment) The rears I also did a rough true-ing job. Then it was super stable in the turns and is one of the flattest sitting cars through the turns now, similar to my wife's Sideways Hurracan in the handling department.

Edited by Slotspeed, 07 August 2019 - 05:38 PM.

#15 Percy

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:36 AM

Hey Slotspeed,

Thanks for the praise for the layouts worked out well with want I had on hand.

Funny you should bring the 917K up I just ordered one to see what it was like. I have heard about applying glue/nail polish to tires ill have to give it a go and see what happens, doesn't sound that i can do any harm by having a crack. How did you true the fronts? Having a tire truer would be nice but not going to happen at my level of racing, yet haha.

I now are going to keep cars mag free, just seem to keep it more consistent feel with the better MJK tires

Cheers

Chris

#16 Slotspeed

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:23 PM

Hi Chris,

I remember removing the stub axle from the chassis and I don't remember exactly what I did after that. But I think I put the stub axle into a drill chuck using the friction of the tyre against the jaws against the sidewall of the tyre, spun it up and sanded the OD by off hand method if I remember correctly. But that treatment made all the difference. I also rounded the outer edge of the tyre which I do remember made quite a bit of difference. But the tyre appearence went from a nice black tyre to a grey looking one. But it handled! I also tried a bunch of different rear tyre and wheel combos, but in the end went back to pretty much the original dimensions. If you are running original magnets you will probably not have to worry about any of this, but I took the magnets out as I prefer running the cars that way.

Since you have the 917K on order, I would recommend getting the equivalent size Paul Gage Urethane rear tyres. You will need to true them. Should be do-able on a standard true-ing machine if you can access one. I do personally prefer NSR Supergrips or Ultragrips but that involves machining down the original wheels to suit the available NSR tyres. It works a treat, but the Paul Gage Urethanes will fit without any modification apart from carefully removing bits of plastic molding flash. The part number is 22148XXD and the car runs great on them but there is a bit of road noise with the Urethanes that you don't get with the NSR rubber.

Steve

Edited by Slotspeed, 09 August 2019 - 08:29 PM.

#17 Percy

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for the info much appreciated

Chris

#18 Percy

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:35 PM

Posted Image

Edited by Percy, 27 August 2019 - 02:00 PM.

#19 Percy

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 02:14 PM

So a small set back, with the new bridge in place seem the cars have enough speed to leave the track. Didnít really take that into consideration. Will take it out and see if standard straight sections will work without any nasty joined connection pieces.
Liking the simple but fun little track layout so far.

#20 Percy

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:23 AM

Swapped out the bridge(jump) for some flat straights much much better now.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users