Magless Vs Magnets

superyob

I removed the magnets from most of my cars because I really enjoy the way the cars slip and slide around the track. My problem is that many of my cars are not remotely in the same league as each other. For example, to achieve parity, I removed the magnet from my Dodge Challenger and it is a beast. My Brut 33 XB and F-Bomb Camaro have no hope of staying with it on the track. So I have refitted the full thickness magnet to the Camaro and half thickness to the XB. All 3 are now in the same league, but I still prefer to run magless in every car. Is my best hop to have multiples of the same car to achieve parity or are there tuning tricks for magless that I need to be enlightened about?

Not all RTR cars have the same chassis,motor or gear ratios and once you remove the magnet or magnets there is some chassis tuning that needs to be done.You need to make sure that the chassis is flat and not twisted.Weight needs to be added to the chassis as it will now slide without the magnetic downforce.The screws on the motor pod if there is a pod fitted can be loosened and the body mounting screws can be loosened a bit too.All four tyres should be trued as well

The Scalex GT40 is a pretty hard nut to crack running well without magnets. Before I got a Slot.It GT40 I managed to get one of mine running really well but it took a lot of work and it involved gluing the two body bits together and separating out the chassis to get away from the clam shell design..

• Upvote 1
bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Parity - a timeless question. Personally, I would prefer that each manufacturer defined aa common chassis set up for each class of car. Might not be quite to scale, but at least cars in the same class made by the same manufacturer are evenly matched.

for example Camaro's vs Mustang's built to scale = Mustang's are narrower and taller, Camaro's always tend to dominate

another good example = Scalextric changed the V8 Falcon chassis, so that the motor and rear axle sat lower. From that point forward, the V8 Commodore's never stood a chance in head to head competition.

I love classes like the NSR classic sports cars, where the chassis, motors, gears, bodies etc are very similar, makes for very close racing

It seems pointless trying to go all magless because of the wildly varying performances that happen. As I mentioned previously, my Challenger without a magnet is on par with the Camaro fitted with a full thickness magnet. I think I will have to get multiples of the same car in order to have a competitive race.

It seems pointless trying to go all magless because of the wildly varying performances that happen. As I mentioned previously, my Challenger without a magnet is on par with the Camaro fitted with a full thickness magnet. I think I will have to get multiples of the same car in order to have a competitive race.

Or you could try adding a bit of ballast (blue tack, lead etc) in the magnet pocket of the Camaro to bring it up to a similar weight to the Challenger and see what happens, ie, if they're running the same type of tyres. The Scaley 69 Camaro is almost 10gm lighter than the Challenger (if we're talking TransAm cars) and the '70 Camaro is about midway.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

"recommend any other particularly good cars to run magless?" … sorry can't do … all my cars run magless and if they don't go too good when new I tinker with them until they go more like I expect them to. And that doesn't necessarily mean throwing a load of Slot.It or NSR parts at them although tyres are mandatory and sometimes a motor or guide change. My Camaro's and 1 Challenger all perform similarly although the Challenger did take quite a bit more work to get it up to par.

Edited by Wobble
bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Hi Superyob.

For our Scaly GT class cars we run completely standard in non-magnet mode except for gluing and truing original tyres. The most popular car is the Chevrolet Corvette but the Audi R8 and Aston Martin also run well. There are probably others but we have not tested.

I have found the new Scaly in-line cars such as the BMW Z4 are limited by their tyres. They are a real odd compound and have proved to be near impossible to get to perform. Fit Slot-it N22, MJK or Paul Gauge however and they too should be fine although I suspect N22 might be too grippy.

The new BTCC cars are also good but again Paul Gauge tyres or similar are to be recommended.

Have not tried the Challenger either but the Camaro goes fine with the same treatment as GT's.

Out of favour now but the NASCAR cars are also great run standard. Have not tried the new in-line cars.

In all classes however there can be some differences in individual models but that can often come down to the tuner. Whether the car has a full interior or is in Super Resistant mode can also make a difference.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Might be worth trying some cars at the higher end of performance.

Brands like Slot It, NSR, Sideways, ScaleAuto offer far better non-mag performance compared to Scaley.

Metal wheels, better gears/mesh, adjustable front axles, motor pods etc

Might be worth trying some cars at the higher end of performance.

Brands like Slot It, NSR, Sideways, ScaleAuto offer far better non-mag performance compared to Scaley.

Metal wheels, better gears/mesh, adjustable front axles, motor pods etc

Scaley also does the Aussie muscle cars I like. I haven't seen them in any other brand.

the scaley toranas are pigs either way, very narrow and tall with overpowered slimline motors, they take a lot of work to get them running well.

XB falcons are ok, wider and lower roof line so are much easier to make work, especially the later versions, the XW/XY falcons are similar to the torana's being narrow and tall but have a standard FC130 motor and work pretty well with tyres and some weight

I see your in Jimboomba, I'm out near Rathdowney, we will have to catchup someday there's not a lot of us out this way