Wiper Arms Verse Electronic?

23 replies to this topic

#21 trophy

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:54 PM

Noel I know what you mean, I had mine back to Steen twice over a 12 month period and he could not find the problem.
I was so impressed with the way the controller worked I was determined to find out why the brakes had a problem.
Don't get me wrong here, Steen is one very clever switched on electronics guy and these controllers are rock solid.
I decided I would start a systematic process and then discovered what I said above.
Has your cable been replaced, as I mentioned above the small diam hole causes the wires to break.
I have had two other controllers have this problem in NZ and I did my mod, no more problems.
Noel If you want to send it to me I will look at it for you, no charge, except the return freight. I can fix it.
Phil you are correct about a spring, on the early models the return spring was a tad light, a feature I like,
what I did was to cut three coils off, the later models come with a stronger spring.

Edited by trophy, 08 December 2018 - 05:50 PM.

#22 Garry J

Expat Cockroach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:53 PM

Very strange, first there isn't a problem, now there are multiple problems, but they can be fixed.

$600 for a controller that requires modification before it works reliably is not for me. I sold mine and I won't be tempted again.
Cheers,

Garry J

Posted Image

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

#23 munter

re member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:32 AM

I have read of another possible reason why there could be a random brake problem on your carsteen controller...

The wiper button's connection to the wiperarm can degrade....check it if you still have it.

My two Carsteen controllers are working fine however
John Warren
Slotcars are my preferred reality

#24 jphanna

permanent member of slot car family

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 05:24 AM

View PostNoel B, on 07 December 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

John the new ACD controller is now able to give you the braking of a standard controller so to speak. Up until the latest version the ACD would start to apply brakes the moment you come off full power. No need to return the trigger to the dead position to make contact with a brake post or button. You can now set the controller to do the braking the normal way at dead trigger or leave it in standard ACD mode. I only tested one last night and yes it does take some getting used to over my CS-4 Carsteen but I am now a convert. There is no maintenance at all on them either. I will admit it took me 3 different classes of cars and about 109 laps after racing to get my head around it, in the end my cars were all doing lap record pace the same as I could do with my Carsteen. Oh one other thing is you can get a short stroke trigger or long stroke. As said before Werner from Ace Hobbies in Brisbane is the Australian importer.

thanks Noel, appreciate your comments.

with short stroke do i assume that between the initial feeding in of power and absolute full power......there is less slightly time than with the long stroke, but the long stroke has more progressive feel mid corner?
Shed People Mutual Admiration Society
2 times Australian National Champion
1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users